Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC P800 - When to replace ink cartridge after low ink warning  (Read 3166 times)

TonyW

I have looked quickly through the manual but cannot find a reference to what happens when a specific ink runs out.

Currently, I am seeing a warning that one of the inks is running low.  My question is, is there and what is best practice to save the precious ink?

1.  My wish is that when printing initiated that the system is intelligent enough to realise there is not enough ink in whatever channel to complete the process and a warning is issued

or

2. That when the ink does actually run out that the printer pauses and waits for a new cartridge installation before carrying on.

My worst nightmare is printing a pano and running out of one colour partway through without any recourse but to dump the print  :'(

Any tips and advice much appreciated (and if I have missed the relevant section in the manual please let me know)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Epson SC P800 - When to replace ink cartridge after low ink warning
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 01:30:04 pm »

When I got a warning about low ink on my 3800, it viewed it only as a notification to buy a new cartridge. I'd then carry on printing. When the ink actually ran out mid-print, I could just replace the cartridge and the printing would resume. I could never detect even the slightest defect at the pause point.

Your option 1 would require the printer to analyse the entire image in advance of starting to print it, which strikes me as unlikely to be feasible.

I can't talk to the P800 but it seems unlikely that its performance would be worse than the aged 3800.

Jeremy

TonyW

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 03:01:03 pm »

When I got a warning about low ink on my 3800, it viewed it only as a notification to buy a new cartridge. I'd then carry on printing. When the ink actually ran out mid-print, I could just replace the cartridge and the printing would resume. I could never detect even the slightest defect at the pause point.

Your option 1 would require the printer to analyse the entire image in advance of starting to print it, which strikes me as unlikely to be feasible.

I can't talk to the P800 but it seems unlikely that its performance would be worse than the aged 3800.

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy. 

Yes, option 1 does seem like a really big ask now in retrospect. 

I really hope and also suspect that there is a similar workflow regarding ink with the P800 as with the 3800.  I keep a full set of inks ready for all my printers.  Anyway I will continue and if you are wrong I shall revisit and point the finger of blame and curses at you  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 05:37:44 pm »

He's right. Wait until the printer stops and replace - no rush, next day is OK - and resume without an issue.
Randy Carone

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 05:51:02 pm »

On both my 3800 and my P800 I have often run out of one ink in the middle of a print, once even on a Friday evening of a Holiday weekend when no camera store would be open for three or more days. On Tuesday I ordered a replacement ink online, and it arrived Wednesday. I inserted it and the print came out perfectly.

I have NEVER been able to see on a print where an ink cart ran out before replacement on an Epson printer.

It's better for your nerves, of course, to keep a set of replacement inks on hand so you don't spend too much time biting your fingernails.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

TonyW

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 06:12:12 pm »

Randy and Eric thank you for your input.  You have all managed to put my fears to one side. 

It is my intention to always try and keep a full set of inks available by replacing cartridges as soon as they run out.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 07:22:12 pm »

Apparently no one here can see where a cartridge has been replaced mid print.  However, with both the SP9900 and the SC-P7000 I can quite easily determine the point where a cartridge was been replaced.  Therefore if I'm setting up to print a large print I make sure there's enough ink in all cartridges to complete the print.  I while say that it seems this only happens when printing on Luster paper.  It's not a colour issue or even a difference in density.  It's the slight difference in the "gloss" in that particular area of the image and it is always a 1/2" area, and as if there is more ink in that area which causes the slight difference in the "gloss". And of course that is what's happening when a cart is being replaced in mid print.   I've never seen this on any matte papers or the matte canvas I use, only the Luster Paper.  Since I almost never print on Gloss papers and never on roll, I do not know if it would show there.  I'm not sure about this, but I seem to recall that the 7600 printers exhibited the same issue, but that's many years ago.

Gary :)     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

TonyW

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 06:32:00 am »

Thanks for that Gary (I think  :o).  As my general preference is for Lustre, semi gloss types I take your findings into account.  I will just have to let the ink run out and see if I observe the same issues. 

I guess there are many variables here but wonder what effect the paper choice (mnfctr.), the ink set (assume different ink than 800), the ambient temp and humidity have on the final results in the event of an ink shortage?

I appreciate the wisdom of making sure there is enough ink to complete the job and assume a guestimate is the best we can hope for as there does not appear to be a mechanism to measure remaining volume.

Is it safe to assume that once ink remaining looks risky to print that a change of cartridge to a new full one will allow return of the old cartridge to finish what is left and still report state of cartridge

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 03:45:56 pm »

"Is it safe to assume that once ink remaining looks risky to print that a change of cartridge to a new full one will allow return of the old cartridge to finish what is left and still report state of cartridge?"

Yes, absolutely, you can still reinstall the almost-empty cart to use what's left.  I often install a new cart even when the ink level in the older cart is very low but not empty.  I put that cart in the plastic bag from the new cart and seal the bag as well as possible.  There are particular situations where you might need to replace an empty cart just to do a cleaning cycle on another colour. If one cart is showing empty you cannot do anything, printing, cleaning etc.  I also sometimes reinstall almost-empty carts for smaller prints, just to use what's left in that cart and then trash it.  As long as you gently agitate the almost-empty cart before installing it there should be no problem.

Hope this helps  :) :)   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 04:23:29 pm »

Is it safe to assume that once ink remaining looks risky to print that a change of cartridge to a new full one will allow return of the old cartridge to finish what is left and still report state of cartridge
Possibly you could, but really would you bother?
If the cartridge costs $80 and it at 1% then that is 80 cents.
The risk of wrecking the new cartridge is bigger to me.

You can monitor the thing and watch it go down to 1-2%
I never change until it is empty but if I was doing a hero print I probably would.
I usually print brochures or something when it is low.

Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TonyW

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 05:29:42 am »

"Is it safe to assume that once ink remaining looks risky to print that a change of cartridge to a new full one will allow return of the old cartridge to finish what is left and still report state of cartridge?"

Yes, absolutely, you can still reinstall the almost-empty cart to use what's left.  I often install a new cart even when the ink level in the older cart is very low but not empty.  I put that cart in the plastic bag from the new cart and seal the bag as well as possible.  There are particular situations where you might need to replace an empty cart just to do a cleaning cycle on another colour. If one cart is showing empty you cannot do anything, printing, cleaning etc.  I also sometimes reinstall almost-empty carts for smaller prints, just to use what's left in that cart and then trash it.  As long as you gently agitate the almost-empty cart before installing it there should be no problem.

Hope this helps  :) :)
Yes very helpful, particularly as I had not considered the cleaning cycle scenario.  Thanks

TonyW

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 05:32:32 am »

Possibly you could, but really would you bother?
If the cartridge costs $80 and it at 1% then that is 80 cents.
The risk of wrecking the new cartridge is bigger to me.

You can monitor the thing and watch it go down to 1-2%
I never change until it is empty but if I was doing a hero print I probably would.
I usually print brochures or something when it is low.
;) Ouch, you have outed me as the cheapskate I am  ;D
Nonetheless point taken  :)

Jim Metzger

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 10:32:39 am »

Echoing what others have said I've never had a problem replacing an ink cartridge in the middle of a print even on an ancient 7600. I haven't noticed a gloss differential on luster paper and as the print dries down I expect any issue would disappear. Of course finding out you've come to the end of a roll on a 36" long print with 1" left to go is another story.  :D

unesco

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 04:36:43 am »

I can see a difference (border) on luster type of printers when exchanging cartridge in the middle of the print on 3880, but almost no difference on P800.

TonyW

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 09:46:26 am »

Thanks, Jim and unesco

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 12:51:32 pm »

I've never seen a difference in output on my 3800 or P800 installing mid print. Because the lines still have plenty of OLDER ink to use before even getting to the new ink.
When it stops, that's when I replace.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TonyW

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 01:20:19 pm »

I've never seen a difference in output on my 3800 or P800 installing mid print. Because the lines still have plenty of OLDER ink to use before even getting to the new ink.
When it stops, that's when I replace.
Thanks Andrew, I wont ask about the whereabouts of your 4900  ;)

erik.brammer@me.com

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 03:46:43 pm »

I am using the Epson P900 and recently dismissed the warning that my LGY cartridge may not have sufficient ink to complete the print. The yellow warning triangle had been showing for a few smaller prints before already.
Printing on A2 Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique Matt, the printer stopped with the print about 80% complete. I replaced the cartridge, but then the P900 decided to eject the sheet.
After I had placed a new sheet into the printer, it started reprinting the image from scratch.
Has someone witnessed this behavior with the P900 as well? Have Epson changed their logic here and no longer allow the printer to continue the current print after a cartridge replacement?

dasuess

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 09:11:40 am »

With my R3000 I never had a problem running a cart out in the middle of a print. I have found that does not work with the P900, as noted above. I monitor the ink levels closely. The low ink warning comes at 5%, but you can print until 1% (or less). With the P900 I would not do a large-ish print when a cart is very low. That said, I have made a lot of prints on my P900 even when it warned me not to do so.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2021, 10:43:13 am »

I have the 9900 and the P900. No issues running out in the middle of a print with either and swapping a cart or two as both seem to have plenty of ink in the lines. And that is on Premium Luster, no less. Since I got the P900, I've changed several carts in the middle of a print and have not seen any issues or evidence of the replacement cart.

This swap-out elegance dates back to at least my 2200 from many years ago which at the time was quite amazing-- there were no issues in changing the ink in the middle of the print. Same thing since with all my Epson printers both roll-feed and sheet feed. I've never noticed any having banding or changes in the look once the print is out of the printer and has dried and stabilized.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up