Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS Droplet/Action pausing at "Load Files into Stack"  (Read 474 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
PS Droplet/Action pausing at "Load Files into Stack"
« on: January 16, 2021, 02:56:38 pm »

I'm trying to get a droplet working from LR using a PS action/droplet after opening a series of images; the action stacks them, then auto aligns them, and finally blends them for a focus stack.  I'm blending something like 25-30 files, each 42mp so it takes several minutes to export, then several minutes for each step of the action so I want to eliminate the wait-for-manual-intervention.  I'm having trouble with the layer stack script after the files are exported to PS.  I clicked on the Add Open Files button when recording the action but when I try to run it the action stops at that point and I have to press the button manually.

So the full set of steps are;

Lightroom
1) Export files from LR to PS with the droplet selected to run in the Post Processing section After Export
     (cannot use "Open as Layers in PS" as the droplet has to be run from the Export window)

Photoshop (action)
2) "Load Files into Stack" from the Script menu (select "Add Open Files", can do with or without auto alignment)
3) Select "All Layers" from the Select menu
4) "Auto-align" from the Edit menu (not needed if alignment is done in step 2)
5) "Auto-Blend" from the Edit menu

So the droplet runs after LR export but the Load Layers window opens as though the "Add Open Files" step was left to run manually.

Win 10 machine.  Any ideas/ways around this? 

Thanks

Mike

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: PS Droplet/Action pausing at "Load Files into Stack"
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 03:22:44 pm »

What are your settings in the Create Droplet dialog? There are some related to opening files, and also the possibility to log errors to a file.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 03:58:44 pm »

I'm not logging errors.  I'll turn that on and see what it gives me if anything

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 04:26:03 pm »

So I got no errors, but this made me watch more closely and I realized that the Load Layers window dialog is opening when only the 1st image has been exported into PS, ie it's not waiting for all of them.  As a test I was just running with 3 files from LR so the load layer window opened 3 times.  I OK'd it each time to allow the action to continue and after the 3rd time the action continued and finished properly.

As an aside but maybe relevant I had also tried to use the script you wrote for me a long time ago that loaded opened smart objects files into layers.  When I tried that I effectively got the same thing (but noticed it), in that it was trying to run the next step in the action after only 1 file had loaded from LR (the next step that then faulted was "select all layers").

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 04:38:46 pm »

I should add that at the end of the action I did get 2 errors.  They were for 2 opened files (individual), saying it could not select all layers.  So it appears that the action, when run as a droplet from LR is trying to run the full action on each individual file, rather than run it on the series of opened files after they are all exported.  Maybe this is what it's supposed to do but it leaves a manual step in the automated flow for my use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up