Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Lab Recommendations  (Read 502 times)

Kit-V

Print Lab Recommendations
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:31:25 am »

I have been using ProDPI for my printing needs for several years. Although I really don't have any issues with their work, I find that their software for uploading my images is cumbersome. Also, they require that my uploaded images be sent as a JPEG in sRGB colorspace. I don't know whether this in any way compromises the final print (compared to sending a TIFF in Adobe RGB). So I guess that this is my excuse to get a sense of which other labs I might consider. If anyone has any strong recommendations based on their experience with other labs, I would truly appreciate your input. Thank you kindly.
Falling Fork Photography

mearussi

Re: Print Lab Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 10:52:52 am »

I have been using ProDPI for my printing needs for several years. Although I really don't have any issues with their work, I find that their software for uploading my images is cumbersome. Also, they require that my uploaded images be sent as a JPEG in sRGB colorspace. I don't know whether this in any way compromises the final print (compared to sending a TIFF in Adobe RGB). So I guess that this is my excuse to get a sense of which other labs I might consider. If anyone has any strong recommendations based on their experience with other labs, I would truly appreciate your input. Thank you kindly.
The jpeg requirements make sense as it makes for a much smaller file size without affecting the image quality. But the sRGB requirement is definitely harmful to your final print quality. You need to find a lab that will accept preferably ProPhoto RGB or at least Adobe RGB.

Kit-V

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 11:20:12 am »

Point well-taken. Thank you.
Falling Fork Photography

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 01:48:42 pm »

Perhaps the DigitalDog will post, but here are his posts on sRGB:

http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMyths.mp4
http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4

I see that ProDPI uses Fuji chromogenic prints as well as inkjet prints on fine art papers. sRGB is suboptimal for the former and definitely a bad choice for high quality inkjet printers which have a large gamut. ProPhotoRGB is preferred, but AdobeRGB would be better than sRGB since it has a larger gamut in the greens.
Bikk

Kit-V

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 06:02:51 pm »

Thank you, bjanes. This is certainly one of the reasons I am seeking recommendations on other photo labs.
Falling Fork Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up