Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timelapse equipment for the amateur cheapskate (like me)  (Read 707 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Timelapse equipment for the amateur cheapskate (like me)
« on: January 07, 2021, 02:10:36 pm »

I did some looking into cheaper timelapse solutions in the past couple of days and I thought I should make the info available. This is strictly for the hacker amateur timelapse maker like me that has no intention of devoting too much money to the task. The main stumbling block for me has been to find compact cameras that can be externally powered by an A/C or battery power source. Not many camera models have this option. For longer timelapses or timelapses requiring a large number of photos, the on-board batteries do not suffice and it may not be easy or convenient to manually replace the battery throughout the shooting period. So access to AC power or the equivalent (lead-acid back-up power units) is handy.

It's not easy finding out which cameras can be powered externally, it would be nice if there was a dpreview feature search criterium for it.

Turns out that the Canon G series allows this. I have an old G3 that can be used with the battery charger plugged in. It doesn't support 16x9 however so that means I have to be careful about framing and crop all the individual jpgs in post. It can be done but it's a pain and the G3 won't last forever. Beginning with the G12 (maybe earlier models too), 16x9 aspect output jpgs were menu selectable and you could purchase from Canon a battery replacement A/C adapter (ACK-DC20, I think). Different generations of the G series required different adapters, and I believe the later G15 and G16 models used the ACK-DC50 (?). BUT, you MUST check with the manual of the specific camera version you own, I don't trust my own notes on this. I'm just pointing out that this camera family has an OEM power solution. There are probably after market products that also accomplish this.

In Sony bridge compacts, the HX-200 to HX-900 series (maybe even the HX-100) can use either a Sony-specific DC-in adapter or in later models a USB power adapter, that allow camera operation while plugged in. I have a HX7 (or maybe it's an HX9) that also has this capability. The DC-in adapters were optional extras, not part of the standard purchase kit, so it may take some digging around to find them.

D-SLR and mirrorless body power solutions are easier to find online so I am not addressing those. There are third-party solutions for Olympus that use a dummy battery with cabling to hook up to a power source, but those solutions require some care wrt matching power requirements. Some Olympus bodies can accommodate AC power using auxiliary handgrips. In my case, I tend to prefer smaller/lighter cameras for this work so I haven't used the Olympus bodies. Also, I don't want to wear out the shutters, although later models can use electronic shutters.

There are many web sites with other D-SLR/mirrorless solutions, easy to find.

--
Robert

lukaesenko

• Photography website
Re: Timelapse equipment for the amateur cheapskate (like me)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 06:05:54 am »

Why don't you look into second hand older models of DSLRs? Canons I think can be powered externally and you can also use MAgic Lantern firmware for more TL features.

Petrus

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 11:11:58 am »

It doesn't support 16x9 however so that means I have to be careful about framing and crop all the individual jpgs in post. It can be done but it's a pain

Lightroom synchronise command... Adjust one (color, crop, anything), select all, synchronise.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 11:38:03 am »

Lightroom synchronise command... Adjust one (color, crop, anything), select all, synchronise.
LR Timelapse has even more powerful options. Even taking crops out of much larger images and varying positions with keyframing. A very powerful tool for timelapses.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 12:25:42 pm »

The OP mentioned low cost as an initial determinant.  He also mentioned "hacker" and "amateur" as other factors.

If learning about timelapse is one of the goals, I'd recommend shooting live video and speeding up the display rate in post. This technique has the advantage of allowing you to choose the frame interval later, at leisure.  This is a common dilemma when shooting TL: "How long between frames?"

There are many inexpensive video cameras that can be powered via USB.  GoPro comes quickly to mind, as do several of its sub-$100 equivalents.  I power mine with a de-commissioned 12VDC UPS battery and an automotive 12VDC / USB adaptor.  Simple, tiny, completely portable and runs for hours unattended.

Image quality is acceptable, if not superlative, and I've learned lots about TL from this setup, whose total cost is less than $100.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 06:02:21 pm »

The OP mentioned low cost as an initial determinant.  He also mentioned "hacker" and "amateur" as other factors.
You did spot this wasn't a request for help, just a post of previous findings ?

If learning about timelapse is one of the goals, I'd recommend shooting live video and speeding up the display rate in post.
I can see why this might appeal, but the issues of power supply are still there. The requirements for data storage and processing for long projects would make this demanding for anyone on a budget too.

Petrus

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 02:02:36 am »

When I was still doing occasional time lapse videos at work I estimated the necessary shooting rate, and then shot at four times faster to give some safety margin. I could make a slow video from that and speed that up in post, either the whole thing or partially where needed.

Shooting high resolution video for a full day is not really an option (storage space), and besides shooting stills gives much better picture quality to start with. Standard amateur and prosumer codecs really have only half of the advertised resolution due to aggressive compression, and loads of artefacts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up