Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Vivera ink  (Read 1107 times)

HP Vivera ink
« on: December 31, 2020, 08:31:30 pm »

This may have been asked in the past but I could not find the answer... is all HP Designjet based Vivera ink essentially the same formula? For example is the yellow used in the Z3200 the same yellow formula used in the Z6100 in both color and composition?

Ernst Dinkla

Re: HP Vivera ink
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 06:57:23 am »

This may have been asked in the past but I could not find the answer... is all HP Designjet based Vivera ink essentially the same formula? For example is the yellow used in the Z3200 the same yellow formula used in the Z6100 in both color and composition?

At least the 772 cartridges contain the same Vivera pigment inkt. The printers that used them were compatible with the 70 cartridges as well. However the ink types are of the Z2100 range so limited for the Z3200. Exchanging the cart's foot part with the corresponding 70 cart foot makes it easy to use them in the Z3200.
I alsof use a matte black 771 cart to refill a 772 MK cart. Same for PK. That is how far I go. I have not noticed color issues in prints, calibration or profiling.
It is unlikely that the pigments of the 771 carts are different but the pigment load might differ. Probably possible to test but the 772 carts already cover the ink amount I need in an easy way.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 12:49:09 pm »

At least the 772 cartridges contain the same Vivera pigment inkt. The printers that used them were compatible with the 70 cartridges as well. However the ink types are of the Z2100 range so limited for the Z3200. Exchanging the cart's foot part with the corresponding 70 cart foot makes it easy to use them in the Z3200.
I alsof use a matte black 771 cart to refill a 772 MK cart. Same for PK. That is how far I go. I have not noticed color issues in prints, calibration or profiling.
It is unlikely that the pigments of the 771 carts are different but the pigment load might differ. Probably possible to test but the 772 carts already cover the ink amount I need in an easy way.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Ernst - thanks. That's pretty much where I was leading to with the question. Some of the 70 carts are really expensive on a cost per ML basis even expired on eBay. But the larger HP 775ml carts can be had much cheaper per ML and if the ink is the same for PK & MK that could be an option. How are you extracting from one cart to the other? I did that for Epson 3800/3880 carts in the past but they had to be modified some to work

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 01:47:49 pm »

One advantage of using the 772 carts is no fancy syring efforts are needed, just use a razor to cut the paper label holding the bottom cap which has a chip in it, pull off the cap from the 772 cart, and put on one from an empty, or near empty HP70 cart of the same color. If you are lucky, it should just work. Of course you will not be able see the ink level in the HP utility or in the ink levels monitor panel. Just pull out these tall carts periodically and  either weigh or shake to judge ink status.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 05:18:46 pm »

One advantage of using the 772 carts is no fancy syring efforts are needed, just use a razor to cut the paper label holding the bottom cap which has a chip in it, pull off the cap from the 772 cart, and put on one from an empty, or near empty HP70 cart of the same color. If you are lucky, it should just work. Of course you will not be able see the ink level in the HP utility or in the ink levels monitor panel. Just pull out these tall carts periodically and  either weigh or shake to judge ink status.

Good work around as well.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 06:18:13 am »

Ernst - thanks. That's pretty much where I was leading to with the question. Some of the 70 carts are really expensive on a cost per ML basis even expired on eBay. But the larger HP 775ml carts can be had much cheaper per ML and if the ink is the same for PK & MK that could be an option. How are you extracting from one cart to the other? I did that for Epson 3800/3880 carts in the past but they had to be modified some to work

I guess you mean the HP 771 etc carts. There is no 775 cart to my knowledge. The HP 771 carts have to be pressurized if you want them to empty through their normal ink channel connector/valve.  I have improvised something with a bicycle tire valve to create pressure but the ink connector valve still is a difficult one to get ink flow there. Going straight to the ink bag by using a handsaw carefully is not easy either.
I load 772 black ink carts with the ink by cutting off the highest situated corner of the internal bag. Filling them there. However there is quite a big risk, internally in the bag is a transparent film liner added to the silver colored outer bag film, if you do not check that carefully you can load the ink between the liner and the outer bag film and no ink will flow to the cartridge pump. Another thing is the internal valve between the pump and the bag (not the connector valve), if you ever pull out ink with a syringe on the connector and too much vacuum is created that plastic film valve can deform and get stuck so no ink will flow anymore from the bag. Been there and got the stained T-shirt.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

https://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 09:30:36 am »

I guess you mean the HP 771 etc carts. There is no 775 cart to my knowledge. The HP 771 carts have to be pressurized if you want them to empty through their normal ink channel connector/valve.  I have improvised something with a bicycle tire valve to create pressure but the ink connector valve still is a difficult one to get ink flow there. Going straight to the ink bag by using a handsaw carefully is not easy either.
I load 772 black ink carts with the ink by cutting off the highest situated corner of the internal bag. Filling them there. However there is quite a big risk, internally in the bag is a transparent film liner added to the silver colored outer bag film, if you do not check that carefully you can load the ink between the liner and the outer bag film and no ink will flow to the cartridge pump. Another thing is the internal valve between the pump and the bag (not the connector valve), if you ever pull out ink with a syringe on the connector and too much vacuum is created that plastic film valve can deform and get stuck so no ink will flow anymore from the bag. Been there and got the stained T-shirt.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Thanks and I was referencing the HP Vivera carts that contain 775ml of ink. These are the ones designed for the Designjet Z6xxx series printers.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 10:23:49 am »

Been there and got the stained T-shirt.

LOL  ;D
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 11:03:42 am »

Thanks and I was referencing the HP Vivera carts that contain 775ml of ink. These are the ones designed for the Designjet Z6xxx series printers.

Sorry, misunderstanding, however there is a wider variety of 775ml cartridges, the HP 771 cartridges have that 775ml of Vivera pigment ink. BTW, there is also a HP Vivera dye ink. So be careful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up