Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Major release of ABW profile creation tools  (Read 1491 times)

Doug Gray

Major release of ABW profile creation tools
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:02:28 am »

I'm releasing a new, simplified ABW Profile creation tool. Requirements are i1Profiler or Argyll tools, an iSis, i1Pro, or i1Pro2, and i1Profiler. Using the Argyll tools is simplified but requires that i1Profiler is installed for scanning/printing and no license is required. If you just want to use i1Profiler to make profiles you will need a license that enables making profiles.

Profiles can be made for soft proofing both Photoshop Manages Colors and, for printers that don't allow selection of user profiles in B&W, for Printer Manages Colors.

The readme file provides details

https://github.com/doug3236/ABWProfilePatches

Attached is an image of soft proofing a B&W for printing using Printer Manages "Color".

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
Re: Major release of ABW profile creation tools
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 06:25:47 am »

Congratulations! Do you consider to do something for Mac and i1Pro3?
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 11:21:24 am »

Congratulations! Do you consider to do something for Mac and i1Pro3?

I don't have a Mac compiler but the source code is completely standard c++ 17 with no extra libraries so it can be compiled for the Mac by anyone with a Mac that knows c++. It will work just fine for the i1Pro 3 as well. The provided charts for the i1Pro2 are compatible with the i1Pro3. However, I understand that Photoshop doesn't have the same functionality on Macs that it does on Windows using ABW. Might be limited to using "Printer Managed Color" profiles which will do soft proofing correctly in that mode.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 04:10:12 pm »

I'm releasing a new, simplified ABW Profile creation tool. Requirements are i1Profiler or Argyll tools, an iSis, i1Pro, or i1Pro2, and i1Profiler. Using the Argyll tools is simplified but requires that i1Profiler is installed for scanning/printing and no license is required. If you just want to use i1Profiler to make profiles you will need a license that enables making profiles.

Profiles can be made for soft proofing both Photoshop Manages Colors and, for printers that don't allow selection of user profiles in B&W, for Printer Manages Colors.

The readme file provides details

https://github.com/doug3236/ABWProfilePatches

Attached is an image of soft proofing a B&W for printing using Printer Manages "Color".

Thank you Doug! I had initially a little problem navigating the github site and I couldn't locate the executable. I found it and I am reading your instructions now in order to build my first BW profile. Thank you again!

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 02:13:07 pm »

I made the first two BW profiles (one neutral and one warm tone BW modes) for Hahnemuhle Photo Luster 260 and Canon PRO-1000. They are working very well. I can see on screen the output of the printer WB modes. Very useful. Now I will try to edit the softproofted  image and print it with the null transform trick.

The only problem I had to solve was printing with "Printer Manages Color" and "Relative Colorimetric" from Photoshop 22.1 the target and the test images. I quickly noticed that something was wrong. The lower tones was crushed like I was printing without "Black Point Compensation". I then noticed that the BPC checkbox is disabled when "Printer Manages Color" is selected.

I then printed the target and the test images from Qimage Ultimate + "Printer Manages Color" and all was ok.
If you wish I can sent you the measurement files from the targets printed with PS and Qimage to see the differences.

Thank you Doug!

Doug Gray

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 03:51:16 pm »

I made the first two BW profiles (one neutral and one warm tone BW modes) for Hahnemuhle Photo Luster 260 and Canon PRO-1000. They are working very well. I can see on screen the output of the printer WB modes. Very useful. Now I will try to edit the softproofted  image and print it with the null transform trick.

The only problem I had to solve was printing with "Printer Manages Color" and "Relative Colorimetric" from Photoshop 22.1 the target and the test images. I quickly noticed that something was wrong. The lower tones was crushed like I was printing without "Black Point Compensation". I then noticed that the BPC checkbox is disabled when "Printer Manages Color" is selected.

I then printed the target and the test images from Qimage Ultimate + "Printer Manages Color" and all was ok.
If you wish I can sent you the measurement files from the targets printed with PS and Qimage to see the differences.

Thank you Doug!

Glad to hear it's working out for you even though the Printer Manages workaround is not intuitive.

I recently discovered a way to avoid the workaround for "Printer Manages Color" and get "Photoshop Manages Color" to work with printers that don't, by default, show custom profiles.

Open Windows Color Management dialog. Then select use profile checkbox then push the ADD button. This displays the installed profiles. Select your custom profile. Now it will show up in Photoshop's print dialog. To print charts just use the normal way either with I1PRofiler or ACPU. And use the normal ways of soft proofing/printing letting Photoshop manage color when printing.

I'm in the process of cleaning up the readme file to get rid of all the "Printer manages" workaround stuff and put it in a separate readme. Can be useful to provide soft proofing capability for the few people that like to use Printer Manages.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 04:03:28 pm »

Glad to hear it's working out for you even though the Printer Manages workaround is not intuitive.

I recently discovered a way to avoid the workaround for "Printer Manages Color" and get "Photoshop Manages Color" to work with printers that don't, by default, show custom profiles.

Open Windows Color Management dialog. Then select use profile checkbox then push the ADD button. This displays the installed profiles. Select your custom profile. Now it will show up in Photoshop's print dialog. To print charts just use the normal way either with I1PRofiler or ACPU. And use the normal ways of soft proofing/printing letting Photoshop manage color when printing.

I'm in the process of cleaning up the readme file to get rid of all the "Printer manages" workaround stuff and put it in a separate readme. Can be useful to provide soft proofing capability for the few people that like to use Printer Manages.

If I choose in PS "Photoshop Manages Color" I can see all the printers' profiles custom or not.

EDIT: I now understand what you mean. If you choose BW mode in the driver then PS print dialog shows only the printer manufacturer (in this case Canon) profiles and the workaround to this is to add your custom profile from the windows color management app.

EDIT 2: Your method works. I added the two custom profiles to the Canon PRO-1000 list and now they show in the PS print dialog. Thanks!

EDIT 3: Just for your notice. Qimage shows all the profiles even if you choose in the driver BW mode. It doesn't need to add it through windows color management.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 05:35:45 pm by Panagiotis »
Pages: [1]   Go Up