Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CF Lens Adapter Hasselblad  (Read 1516 times)

Root_Doot

CF Lens Adapter Hasselblad
« on: December 21, 2020, 01:07:03 pm »

Hello,

Does anyone have image examples V system Zeiss glass mounted on a digital H system? I am specifically looking to see the effect the vintage glass gives the photos and whether its worth investing in one.

Thank you

TechTalk

Re: CF Lens Adapter Hasselblad
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 10:06:58 pm »

The Hasselblad CF Adapter is a clever and well executed bit of engineering. The lens character and images from the V-series lenses would look the same whether mounted to an H-series camera with a digital back or an older V-series camera with a digital back as the CF adapter has no optics.

You can find a variety of images taken with CFV type digital backs and a variety of vintage lenses on the Flickr website.

https://www.flickr.com/search/Images - Hasselblad CFV-50
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 05:03:25 pm »

I am specifically looking to see the effect the vintage glass gives the photos and whether its worth investing in one.
"Investing" means that there needs to be a future tangible benefit. What do you hope that is?
The CF adapter was a great product that allowed users of the V system to continue using their investment in V lenses on the new H system. A great idea in 2001.
To me at least purchasing a CF Adapter, which goes for maybe $1000 and then purchasing V series lenses is just throwing good money away that would be better spent on HC glass, which is very reasonable now.
If you want a "film look" then either shoot film on the H series or user one of the many software products that do that.

HC lenses can be used very successfully on the latest X1D and 907 cameras, whereas the V series can not without using the dreaded electronic shutter.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Root_Doot

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 05:44:46 pm »

The Hasselblad CF Adapter is a clever and well executed bit of engineering. The lens character and images from the V-series lenses would look the same whether mounted to an H-series camera with a digital back or an older V-series camera with a digital back as the CF adapter has no optics.

You can find a variety of images taken with CFV type digital backs and a variety of vintage lenses on the Flickr website.

https://www.flickr.com/search/Images - Hasselblad CFV-50

This is helpful to see the look thank you

"Investing" means that there needs to be a future tangible benefit. What do you hope that is?
The CF adapter was a great product that allowed users of the V system to continue using their investment in V lenses on the new H system. A great idea in 2001.
To me at least purchasing a CF Adapter, which goes for maybe $1000 and then purchasing V series lenses is just throwing good money away that would be better spent on HC glass, which is very reasonable now.
If you want a "film look" then either shoot film on the H series or user one of the many software products that do that.

HC lenses can be used very successfully on the latest X1D and 907 cameras, whereas the V series can not without using the dreaded electronic shutter.

I have 6 HC lenses I use for my commercial work but I am not in love with the look. I want to bridge the gap between my film work and digital work - many years ago I have a canon and used Zeiss primes on it which I found a beautiful mid ground and much better, to my eye, than the technically superior L lenses. I have plenty of film cameras, including blad film backs, so when I want film I shoot film :)

I agree it's way too expensive but how else do I introduce this dynamic having invested so much already in the H series? It would be something I use in a particular set of circumstances and not to replace my current lens system.

TechTalk

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 09:02:12 pm »

This is helpful to see the look thank you

Sure. Happy to help.

I have 6 HC lenses I use for my commercial work but I am not in love with the look. I want to bridge the gap between my film work and digital work - many years ago I have a canon and used Zeiss primes on it which I found a beautiful mid ground and much better, to my eye, than the technically superior L lenses. I have plenty of film cameras, including blad film backs, so when I want film I shoot film :)

I agree it's way too expensive but how else do I introduce this dynamic having invested so much already in the H series? It would be something I use in a particular set of circumstances and not to replace my current lens system.

As you are likely aware, cinematographers are obsessed with how various lenses render and frequently seek out vintage lenses for a particular look and style. Lenses that rendered beautiful images decades ago often still produce an engaging image today—just like the pictures taken decades ago with old lenses that are still inspiring.

I've used the CF adapter on occasion, some years ago. You may be able to rent one along with some lenses; but I haven't looked into that in quite awhile.

I'm not sure how they could have designed it to function any better or more conveniently. Both the H camera and the CF Adapter appear to have been planned together in the original H-system design process in order to allow previous V-system owners to continue using their existing V-lenses as conveniently and fully as possible. As an early H-system adopter myself, I certainly appreciated it.

When you attach it, the camera body recognizes the adapter and automatically displays a list of V-mount lenses from which to select to insure that the camera metering display corresponds to the current lens and aperture range. The lenses function with the adapter as they would on a V-series camera body with the exception of pressing a lever to reset the shutter after a shot instead of winding the film advance like you would on an older V-camera.

With the CF Adapter you have open aperture viewing and metering; the lens stops down automatically when you press the shutter release. When using TTL metering the grip display (and rear display on the H6D) will show EV numbers which correspond to the EV settings on the lenses. The prism viewfinder shows shutter speed and aperture settings which can be transferred to the lens. When using the later CFE lenses, the aperture setting selected on the lens transfers to the meter and displays the corresponding metered shutter speed. The CF Adapter utilizes the flash sync outlet on the H body for triggering the shutter in the lens, but you just plug the flash sync cord into the lens, as you would when using a V-series body, if you are using flash. Also, there is electronic focus confirmation in the viewfinder display.

I hope that you get a chance to try one out to see if it suits your needs. You might try contacting a Hasselblad rep to see if they can arrange for you to try it or may know where you could rent one.

https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/accessories/CF Adapter_User Manual_V7_2018.pdf
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 04:47:18 am by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 04:49:49 am »

A quick search shows that you can rent the CF Lens Adapter in the U.S. at Fotocare and K&M in New York City or at Glazer's in Seattle. There may be others as well.

Root_Doot

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 09:57:44 am »

Sure. Happy to help.

As you are likely aware, cinematographers are obsessed with how various lenses render and frequently seek out vintage lenses for a particular look and style. Lenses that rendered beautiful images decades ago often still produce an engaging image today—just like the pictures taken decades ago with old lenses that are still inspiring.

I've used the CF adapter on occasion, some years ago. You may be able to rent one along with some lenses; but I haven't looked into that in quite awhile.

I'm not sure how they could have designed it to function any better or more conveniently. Both the H camera and the CF Adapter appear to have been planned together in the original H-system design process in order to allow previous V-system owners to continue using their existing V-lenses as conveniently and fully as possible. As an early H-system adopter myself, I certainly appreciated it.

When you attach it, the camera body recognizes the adapter and automatically displays a list of V-mount lenses from which to select to insure that the camera metering display corresponds to the current lens and aperture range. The lenses function with the adapter as they would on a V-series camera body with the exception of pressing a lever to reset the shutter after a shot instead of winding the film advance like you would on an older V-camera.

With the CF Adapter you have open aperture viewing and metering; the lens stops down automatically when you press the shutter release. When using TTL metering the grip display (and rear display on the H6D) will show EV numbers which correspond to the EV settings on the lenses. The prism viewfinder shows shutter speed and aperture settings which can be transferred to the lens. When using the later CFE lenses, the aperture setting selected on the lens transfers to the meter and displays the corresponding metered shutter speed. The CF Adapter utilizes the flash sync outlet on the H body for triggering the shutter in the lens, but you just plug the flash sync cord into the lens, as you would when using a V-series body, if you are using flash. Also, there is electronic focus confirmation in the viewfinder display.

I hope that you get a chance to try one out to see if it suits your needs. You might try contacting a Hasselblad rep to see if they can arrange for you to try it or may know where you could rent one.

https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/accessories/CF Adapter_User Manual_V7_2018.pdf

Thank you for all this - I am UK based so having trouble renting one. It's easy to rent V system lenses so I will contact Hasselblad and see if I can borrow an adaptor with a view to buy! I am looking for a slightly more 'romantic look' which will be technically inferior to my set up but will have 'something' to it. My favourite lens ever is via my contax 645 system (also a zeiss) so anything close will be amazing. I love the HC 100mm but its lacking the punch I am after...adding it in post is not the same. Will let you know how I get on!

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 11:37:41 pm »

Thank you for all this - I am UK based so having trouble renting one. It's easy to rent V system lenses so I will contact Hasselblad and see if I can borrow an adaptor with a view to buy! I am looking for a slightly more 'romantic look' which will be technically inferior to my set up but will have 'something' to it. My favourite lens ever is via my contax 645 system (also a zeiss) so anything close will be amazing. I love the HC 100mm but its lacking the punch I am after...adding it in post is not the same. Will let you know how I get on!
There are often ones on eBay if you wish to buy.
I used to think similar that you needed specific equipment to get specific effects. I am seeing more and more though that any digit image is just a collection of pixels. There is virtually nothing that can not be done in post. The camera is theoretically optional. It is just a balance to decide what workflow works best. Once you quantify what the desired result is then some one can build (or already has done) an action to do it.
(:-)
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up