Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF 6400 Print head issue  (Read 476 times)

JVasquez

iPF 6400 Print head issue
« on: December 18, 2020, 12:56:20 am »

Hello! I have an iPF 6400 that has been spectacular up until this week. I just replaced the left print head, and absolutely nothing showed up for the top right color on the nozzle check pattern (see pic attached). I figured it was a bad print head so instead of wasting ink trying to clear it, i ordered a new one, only to have the same exact problem upon printing a new nozzle check.

Any insight as to how to troubleshoot this is most appreciated.

arobinson7547

Re: iPF 6400 Print head issue
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 09:54:44 am »

That's a tough one. You did the right thing in immediately replacing the Printhead [and not wasting a bunch of ink, first]

Having replaced the head Twice, I have heard others suggest to look to the ribbon cable; possibly damaged.

Either way, I believe this to be electrical and not ink related. If ink 'is' getting to one half of the Head, then it IS entering the Head.

Did the second head come from the same place? (same batch?)

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 12:28:40 pm »

What happens when you do a head cleaning? Do you get any error messages?

Remember,  the head assembly has to fill up with ink before you see any pattern on paper. That’s supposed to be automatic during the head installation process. If one or two cleanings show you nothing coming out, and you replaced the head a second time, it does sound electrical, possibly the head circuit board . Doing multiple cleanings in a row will heat up the head and blow that board, but I had an error message come up when that happened.

I’ve always found Canon phone support to be very helpful I would give that a try if head cleanings don’t help you.

That's a tough one. You did the right thing in immediately replacing the Printhead [and not wasting a bunch of ink, first]

Having replaced the head Twice, I have heard others suggest to look to the ribbon cable; possibly damaged.

Either way, I believe this to be electrical and not ink related. If ink 'is' getting to one half of the Head, then it IS entering the Head.

Did the second head come from the same place? (same batch?)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 01:58:08 pm »

Canon phone support is great and may save you money.
I had a similar problem and did 4 deep cleanings and resolved the issue as shown by nozzle check in Service Mode.
Some terrific YouTube vids from InkJetCarts.com.

JVasquez

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 02:44:18 pm »

arobinson7547 - yeah the complete absence of anything at all gave me pause. I think I'm going to call Canon support and watch videos as David Eckels suggested.

I haven't done any head cleanings yet since these are new heads and I know about the heating problems that can be caused by repeated cleanings. I wanted to wait until i had some actionable advice, which you fine people have given me.

I'll keep this thread updated on progress. 

arobinson7547

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 04:33:34 pm »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your photo is showing 1/2 half of a channel? That’s different than nothing at all. Hat half a channel is what let me to believe it was an electrical issue and not ink getting in. If the WHOLE channel is missing, than it ‘would be possible that ink isn’t getting in.

I had that half channel issue;replaced the head and it was perfect on the first nozzle test.

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 09:12:33 am »

I’m pretty sure that Canon will have you do a couple of cleanings, but it’s smart to have them on the phone  instructing you to do that . It’s ok to do do numerous cleanings, just not multiple ones right after the other.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your photo is showing 1/2 half of a channel? That’s different than nothing at all. Hat half a channel is what let me to believe it was an electrical issue and not ink getting in. If the WHOLE channel is missing, than it ‘would be possible that ink isn’t getting in.

I had that half channel issue;replaced the head and it was perfect on the first nozzle test.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 06:20:26 pm »

I’m pretty sure that Canon will have you do a couple of cleanings, but it’s smart to have them on the phone  instructing you to do that . It’s ok to do do numerous cleanings, just not multiple ones right after the other.
I agree. If you want to try it on your own, clean followed by service mode nozzle check, no more than 3-4 times. In my case, the first nozzle check showed almost blank with one of the inks. Each cleaning improved the pattern until on the third, it was almost perfect. Because I had been advised to do more than three cycles, I dithered about and then went ahead with the fourth. Perfect. It was a brand new head and under warranty. Yours is too, correct?
Pages: [1]   Go Up