Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creaky lid on hp z3100 (or others)?  (Read 273 times)

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
Creaky lid on hp z3100 (or others)?
« on: December 15, 2020, 09:00:33 am »

Hy everyone, the window lid on my HP z3100 makes a brutal creaking noise when opening and closing. It seems to be coming from the lid hinges. It's always done this, but it seems louder now.

Anyone else have this noise on their z3100 or other z-series? Any suggestions to fix it?

Thanks!
Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography

arobinson7547

Re: Creaky lid on hp z3100 (or others)?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:39:54 am »

WD-40?

a hinge is a hinge. (needs lubricant)

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 11:41:53 am »

WD-40?

a hinge is a hinge. (needs lubricant)

Lol yes I figure that may be needed eventually, but I'm more concerned that something is binding in the hinge gears that needs to be fixed. That's why I'm asking if others have encountered this so I know how common it is.

Also I'm wary of using any lubricant that's clearly possible to drip onto the media, carriage, etc below it. Definitely wouldn't use wd40, it's not really a lubricant and much too liquid. Wondering about a safe option like a dry Teflon or silicon type lubricant (or grease?) maybe. Something non drip and plastic safe since all the hinge parts appear to be plastic.

Anyone else encountered this?

Thanks
Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 03:13:12 pm »

Ok fixed it!  :)  Fastforwarding to the answer for anyone finding this in the future...

I removed the lid and hinges (ref maintenance/service manual).  Easy job, just a few screws. 

Found most of the noise was where the hinge brackets attach to the cover.  They move a bit and creak like mad.  I carefully(!) removed the brackets from the cover, applied Teflon spray lube onto the mating surfaces (see pic), and reassembled after it dried.  Silent.

Found minor noise on the hinge "pin" itself, so applied some Teflon spray lube there too.  Reassembled everything and it's mint!  Never been this quiet!  :)

Note the Teflon spray can go everywhere so best to do it off the printer and immediately wipe up any overspray.  Once dry, any residual is easily wiped with a dry cloth.

Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up