Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just me, or PS 2021 even slower than 2020?  (Read 2501 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Just me, or PS 2021 even slower than 2020?
« on: December 08, 2020, 06:26:41 pm »

Not long ago, I updated PS to the latest version. Thankfully, I always keep at least one back copy (in the this case, I actually have two -- 2020 & 2019). The past few days I've been silhouetting some images for a client. For these, I usually work a PSD file since I mask the background and the image is easily placed in InDesign, silhouetted without the need for a clipping path.

I usually use the Quick Selection tool, click "Select Subject", then click "Select and Mask". Once in the masking window, I refine the mask as needed. I was working in 2020 and it was like, "Holy Crap! Why so long?" It was taking 20-seconds or more to render anything I did. I quit Photoshop and launched PS2020 and did the same thing. Now, I've always thought it was slow and kludgy as a tool, but in PS2020 it took 8-10 seconds. so, it wasn't my imagination that 2021 was VERY slow doing some things.

I have a decent system: a PC with 64GB RAM, gobs of space on both SSD and HDD, a Ryzen 9 3900x CPU. Of everything, my GPU is probably the "weak link"; it's an nVida GTX 1080. Not a slouch considering PS doesn't make a lot of use of the GPU.

Any thoughts?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Just me, or PS 2021 even slower than 2020?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 10:09:09 pm »

Are the Performance Preferences the same in both versions, including the graphics processor settings? There are some functions that do use the GPU

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 10:26:19 pm »

I've had hiccups but fairly minor with this update since many of my presets came through without being reset. I learned a few years back that it was smart to always have one or two previous versions of PS installed just in case and since they take up little space with storage being relatively cheap, it makes good sense to do so until all the kinks are worked out.

Speed overall for me is about the same but this morning I did a "Select Subject" and each time crashed PS 2021... After the third crash which I did after a system reboot, I went to plan two to extract my subject.

For the most part despite the major rework of this version, it's been pretty straight forward. Best of all it still works on my 2009 MacPro which is now at the end of the upgrade path and can't go beyond Mojave.

I figure that things will be good for a few years with what I have but the writing is on the wall and the new generation of ARM will be implemented in the next couple of years and probably make us all think we've been working in the horse-and-buggy era once again.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

canyonlight2

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:01:13 pm »

Nemophoto do you by chance have Tony Kuyper's TK7 panels installed in Photoshop?

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 10:36:04 pm »

Nemophoto do you by chance have Tony Kuyper's TK7 panels installed in Photoshop?

Just curious.  How would that effect the performance?
John

canyonlight2

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 07:40:40 pm »

It seems that there may be an issue with the TK7 panels that causes some tools to slow down and act funny when the TK7 panel Selection Indicator is set to "Pause." I have reset all my TK7 panel Selection Indicators to "Fixed" and am no longer experiencing the sluggish tool behavior.

nemophoto

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 12:52:19 pm »

Are the Performance Preferences the same in both versions, including the graphics processor settings? There are some functions that do use the GPU

All settings are the same. I just installed a new GPU. I'll see if hat effects it much.

nemophoto

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 12:56:42 pm »

No. I don't have any of those panels installed. I do have a couple panels from Raya Pro installed. But those don't seem to effect anything that I can tell.

nemophoto

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 01:21:36 pm »

I have a a lot of digital imaging I'll be doing the middle of this week for about four or five days. It will be a good opportunity to see if the Radeon 5700 XT OC I installed will boost things much. Based on some benchmarks I found, it's about 50% faster than my old GTX 1080. One thing is for sure. My system fans are MUCH quieter than before with the new GPU. The fans (either the GPU or Mobo) used to continually rev up and down. Now they are largely silent except when I'm doing a lot.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 02:22:44 pm »

off topic; i see Raya Pro has an offer that almost ends; Do you think it is worth the money?
I do a lot of exposure bracketing... is the blending effect natural and OK?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BAB

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 02:52:06 pm »

Raya Pro is great I use several luminosity panels they all work just a bit differently but its more what you like.
PS crashed the other day when I was doing a normal operation had to hard shut computer, also other issues but the biggest is turn of rulers they still haven't fix that problem.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

nemophoto

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 01:19:23 pm »

I've decided that Photo 2021 really DOES suck, performance-wise. The lag on screen is horrible. Just using the polygram lasso to work on masking makes me want to tear my hair out. (What hair? That was gone long ago...). Just to make sure it wasn't me, I opened the exact same image in PS2019 (thankfully still on my computer) and tried doing the same simple polygram. On 2021 (and 2020 as well), there is a 1/4-1/2 second lag between where I drag the lasso and it the line catching up. Additionally, while panning with the hand tool was smooth and instantaneous in 2019, it lags and stutters on 2021. I have also noticed the same dreadful behavior with Lightroom. What the F did Adobe do? The graphics settings are all the same (well, close -- there are a couple more options to check in 2021 vs 2019.

SeanPerry

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 11:20:37 pm »

Hi nemophoto + all,
Did you ever find a fix for PS2021? These latest updates render PS much slower than before and laggy for me as well, and I have tried all the usual settings, GPU, etc etc. Appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has who may have overcome the same, other than reverting to older versions. Thank you +

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 03:47:47 am »

I already get problems launching PS2021... i will stick tot 2020 till they have worked it out.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

nemophoto

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 11:40:39 am »

Here it is, months later, and still issues plague PS 2021 (at least for me). Many of the crappy issues seem to be related to the GPU. In another post I mentioned that PS2021 does not recognize my GPU 80% of the time (Unknow GPU error). The other 20% of the time it seems to find my graphics card just fine. So glad I kept PS2020 and PS 2019 on my system...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 12:15:01 pm »

More and more functionality move to the GPU for good reason; very fast.
Older GPUs, GPUs with driver bugs (mostly on Windows) isn't a reason Adobe and others shouldn't move more processing with new versions, to the GPU or users shouldn't update their GPUs.
Want to work on a really old version of hardware and Photoshop, you can, a version with zero GPU support.
I'll stick with a modern machine and version. No one forces either approach on anyone.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nemophoto

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 01:16:12 pm »

More and more functionality move to the GPU for good reason; very fast.
Older GPUs, GPUs with driver bugs (mostly on Windows) isn't a reason Adobe and others shouldn't move more processing with new versions, to the GPU or users shouldn't update their GPUs.
Want to work on a really old version of hardware and Photoshop, you can, a version with zero GPU support.
I'll stick with a modern machine and version. No one forces either approach on anyone.

I have a modern computer that is very capable: AMD Ryzen 3900x CPU, 64GB RAM, dual m.2 SSD (C Drive and D,E, & F drives), and an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XL GPU. While your comments may be valid for people in general, it's not for me. This does not explain why most of the time I have "Unknown GPU" while other times it will say "AMD Radeon RX 5700XL" for my GPU. Sometime I start the day with PS2021 recognizing my GPU only to relaunch midday and have it say "Unknown GPU". The internet is littered with similar comments on all sorts of capable computers. It relates to (I found) something called sniffer.exe crashing. It only crashes with PS2021, not with PS2020.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 01:24:57 pm »

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Daverich

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 05:38:19 pm »

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

The current version of Photoshop will recognize and use the internal GPU in my 2020 Mac Mini. It will also recognize my Pulse RX580 eGPU if I have it connected. ACR on the other hand will not use either one giving me the error message that neither GPU supports Metal. (They both do as shown in System Info). I don’t care that much as the only task that really seems to hit up the GPU is the Topaz Gigapixel plug-in but as a paying customer I wouldn’t mind getting full functionality.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up