Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ansel Adam's - The Camera, Negative and Print Books  (Read 1757 times)

TonyW

Re: Ansel Adam's - The Camera, Negative and Print Books
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 11:35:02 am »

Thinking back and being pragmatic, I'd recommend David Vestal's "Craft of Photography" ...
That particular book is available for free download along with others some loan books some free, just type in the title:
https://archive.org/

TBH this is the first I had heard about this photographer and book so will have a look - just for old times sake.  Another fairly short book that attempts to distill the Zone principles "The Zone VI Workshop: Fine Print in Black and White Photography by Fred Picker

I agree with the others here the Ansel Adams books are to be recommended and although for most the days of film and wet processing are over the concepts and principles of the Zone system can be adapted to digital image making

John Camp

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 06:21:34 pm »

I am unpacking boxes of books stored in my garage. I have good hardcover copies of Adams' "The Negative" and "The Print," and also Adams' "Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs." I also have the "Leica M Compendium -- Handbook of the Leica M System" by Jonathan Eastland (I think it only goes through the M6) and "Rangefinder" by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz.

If anyone wants any of these, PM me. I'll want, mmm, nothing. I'd really like to get them to people who'll use them, and not try to sell them on. I can't promise how promptly I'll mail them, this being the era of covid-19 and me being old. Thanks

JC

mjcreedon

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 07:40:07 pm »

I remember Al Weber very well. A kind intelligent photographer, teacher and Father.  Having been born and raised in San Francisco I had that in common with Ansel.  Was also fortunate to teach 11 years at the San Francisco Art Institute, whose photography department Ansel created in the 1940ís.  Minor White was also a big part of our Photography Department.
I have all of Anselís books but especially used his The Negative formulaís for 2 solution development of 4x5 negatives for night photography images in the 1980ís Mission Bay SF series.  Over expose and underdevelop with a second bath to exhaust developer a regular process in my darkroom.
Don Worth recommended I contact Ansel about a portfolio we were in so I visited Ansel in Carmel and he and Virginia were kind enough to receive me.  In fact that led to being an assistant instructor at 4 Friendís of Photography workshops.  My friend Linda Connor has carried on Anselís Friends of Photography tradition with Photo Alliance.  Great lecture series, critiques and workshops continue to this day.  In fact Linda and I will be judging an exhibit for the Marin Society of Artists this April.
Amazing the community of Photographers we all share.  So much history and tradition to be proud of.
We are all very lucky.
Stay safe,
Michael

mjcreedon

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 08:49:43 pm »

How does the Zone System cross over from Analog to Digital?  The Zone System has never been easy but basic technique will always remain.  Raw capture with sufficient shadow exposure an important start for many reasons including 16 bit capture and Pro Photo space. Setting black point and white point in Curves an important beginning at start of processing image.  Option click to see where clipping occurs in both black point and white point. From there separating out the shadows, middle tones and highlights zones in the print critical for the artist. It will always be a personal choice.   Everyone has their own final print goals.  High contrast printing necessary for some ( like Bill Brant ) or soft open tone printing ( like Don Worth or Michael Kenna ).  Continuous tone full scale prints mean placing density values in the image file at levels that print out with distinct tonal separation and detail in the final print.  Get to know Info box in your software.  Iíve always enjoyed as dense a black in my print as the printer, paper, ink set would allow along with distinct highlight detail. For longevity of prints choosing pigment ink important with the marriage of inkset, paper and printer essential as there are distinct differences as compiled by Wilhelm Research and others.  Bottom line is ď The proof is in the print ď.
Iíve only touched upon a small portion of the important information many of the knowledgeable photographers on this site and beyond possess.  Keep reading and studying this subject but make sure to make prints and share with those you respect.
Michael
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up