Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do, what to do?  (Read 883 times)

RMW

What to do, what to do?
« on: November 30, 2020, 06:35:43 pm »

Hello All.

I've been the proud and faithful user of a 21" iMac from 2011. It's been a very satisfactory computer up to now. However it will no longer run the latest software versions from Adobe and other foto editors. And I'd like to have a newer and better screen. I do want to stay with Mac and I'm wondering if anyone knows when a new 21" iMac with the newer/upgraded screen will be available?

If one won't available for more then a year what other choices might there be/or not be in the 21" range ?

Thanks all.

Richard

John Nollendorfs

Re: What to do, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 06:41:57 pm »

Consider a new Mac Mini with separate monitor instead. They are supposedly speed demons! And save yourself some bucks!

RMW

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 07:37:43 pm »

Hi John.
Thanks for answering.
Any suggestions what you would pair with the Mac mini in a 21" screen"?
Are there some functions that an all inclusive IMAc has over this ?
R.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 11:47:05 am »

Hi John.
Thanks for answering.
Any suggestions what you would pair with the Mac mini in a 21" screen"?
Are there some functions that an all inclusive IMAc has over this ?
R.
Sorry "R", I haven't used MACs for over 10 years. Used to be a MAC evanglicist, but no more. Lot of good IPS monitors out there in the 24" range for $500 or less. Do a search in this section. I've got a Dell U2412M from 6 or 7 years ago that's still going strong. I'm sure you will need to find an external drive option to save your files to. Lot to consider there in terms of backup, etc. Good luck!

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 01:57:47 pm »

The new Mac are powered with Apple made processors and are much faster compared to the Intel powered Macs. Apple just released two MacBooks and a Mini which have impressive numbers but it will probably be the first quarter of '21 before others are released. The Mini is limited to 16GB RAM and not user upgradeable, so I would try to wait as long as possible so you have more options like a 27" iMac or 16" MBP. Hopefully, the newer releases will at least offer 32GB RAM which will help those editing video and large images.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 03:15:50 pm »

Consider a new Mac Mini with separate monitor instead. They are supposedly speed demons! And save yourself some bucks!
+1 and mate it with a Spectaview from NEC.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

RMW

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 10:51:14 pm »

Thank you Andrew, tcphoto1, and John.
Gonna look into your suggestions.
Richard

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 12:17:39 pm »

It's a challenging time to be a potential Apple computer purchaser. For most people, the currently available Apple Silicon machines are too limited to justify a major investment, eg 16GB RAM on the Mini. There's a sense of safety with the current Intel machines though ultimately they too will be obsolete. I was in a similar position not long ago, a moderately skilled LR and PS user who wanted/needed a new computer to replace my 2013 Mac Pro trashcan. YMMV but I opted for a tricked out 27" iMac (Intel i9 10 core) that I hope and expect will last me at least 3-5 years or until the Apple Silicon machines are in a more stable place. I like the suggestion of an Intel Mac Mini with an NEC Spectraview monitor. I am using my original NEC 27" with the iMac, the lovely screen of the iMac is not as accurate. Realistically many people do wonderful photography with an iMac screen. If I did not already have the NEC and the terrific Spectraview calibration system, I might have tried using the iMac screen. You could do worse. Best of luck to you in your quest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up