Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice: Shipping a large order of large prints...  (Read 933 times)

disneytoy

Advice: Shipping a large order of large prints...
« on: November 29, 2020, 09:37:46 pm »

Greetings!

I have an order of about 90-100 prints. All ranging around 20x26 to 20x36".

I want to ship them flat. What are you guys using to wrap your prints?

Typically on 2-3 larger prints, they get rolled with glassine paper then kraft paper in a tube.

These will be a series, so 8 prints of each. Same size.

I don't think I have time or budget to order cello envelopes.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking each individual set wrapped together.

Either lots of cardboard or some coroplast on the outside. This will ship FedEx so I can't make it too heavy.

Thanks

Max

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Advice: Shipping a large order of large prints...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 10:08:59 pm »

I would consider 1/2 gator board for the outside.  Cardboard will bend and odds are Fed Exp will find a way to bend it.

Gator is strong, and light, and not that expensive. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 10:51:11 pm »

I would consider 1/2 gator board for the outside.  Cardboard will bend and odds are Fed Exp will find a way to bend it.

Gator is strong, and light, and not that expensive. 

Paul C

Thanks

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 11:28:46 am »

Gatorboard is fine but still possible to damage. I'd ask a Fedex store what they recommend. 

MDL_SD

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 12:22:39 pm »

If you really want to guarantee that they will not be bent use thin plywood. 

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 02:09:19 pm »

If you really want to guarantee that they will not be bent use thin plywood.
Much cheaper than Gator, but weighs more.

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 06:49:13 pm »

I’ve done a lot of this over the last 20 years. For large prints that can’t be rolled up ( I almost always roll up prints and ship in a heavy duty tube ) my final method is to wrap the stack of prints tightly in a thick plastic bag, then I put that stack of prints between two sheets of foamcor, which is slightly larger than the print size. Finally sandwich that between two sheets of thin plywood or Masonite taped very well in all directions of course. I have Home Depot cut tye board to size so I don’t have to pull out my skill saw and deal with that. Then put the whole thing in a cardboard box and ship FedEx ground. It’s not a big deal to do all this . What’s a big deal is reprinting 25 prints because the edges are bent.

When I’m sending portfolios I usually make a pocket frame that the prints sit down into out of foamcor. You can use several layers of them on top of each other that is deep enough for the stack of prints . I glue the layers of foamcor sheets to each other, Then I put cut sheets  of thin plywood on the top and bottom and glue the foamcor packet to the bottom board, the same size as the foamcor, tape the whole thing tightly with shipping tape and put that into a cardboard box, or let FedEx do that final step. 

Imagine you cut out a rectangle only 1/8 inches larger inside  than the print dimensions, with the foamcor borders all around about 3 or four inches. I actually make these box packets  and have them sent back to me and use over and over. I’ve never had anything damaged that way. Plywood on the outside is what saves you.

John

Much cheaper than Gator, but weighs more.

disneytoy

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 01:27:58 am »

Great advice John, and thanks to all of you.

I'm pulling an all nighter. I have 120 18x24 and 20 24x36 to print and trim and get packed. I have Thin Plywood and masonite here. I've built portfolio boxes for myself before. I just don't have the time, all has to be in Texas in 3 days.

Luckily I keep 2 spare ink carts per color. I will be replacing some tonight.

What you do for clients. :-)

I will ship the 24x36s in a 4" hard plastic tube. The 18x24 I'll ship flat, per your advice.

Thanks again!

Max

I’ve done a lot of this over the last 20 years. For large prints that can’t be rolled up ( I almost always roll up prints and ship in a heavy duty tube ) my final method is to wrap the stack of prints tightly in a thick plastic bag, then I put that stack of prints between two sheets of foamcor, which is slightly larger than the print size. Finally sandwich that between two sheets of thin plywood or Masonite taped very well in all directions of course. I have Home Depot cut tye board to size so I don’t have to pull out my skill saw and deal with that. Then put the whole thing in a cardboard box and ship FedEx ground. It’s not a big deal to do all this . What’s a big deal is reprinting 25 prints because the edges are bent.

When I’m sending portfolios I usually make a pocket frame that the prints sit down into out of foamcor. You can use several layers of them on top of each other that is deep enough for the stack of prints . I glue the layers of foamcor sheets to each other, Then I put cut sheets  of thin plywood on the top and bottom and glue the foamcor packet to the bottom board, the same size as the foamcor, tape the whole thing tightly with shipping tape and put that into a cardboard box, or let FedEx do that final step. 

Imagine you cut out a rectangle only 1/8 inches larger inside  than the print dimensions, with the foamcor borders all around about 3 or four inches. I actually make these box packets  and have them sent back to me and use over and over. I’ve never had anything damaged that way. Plywood on the outside is what saves you.

John

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 12:47:53 pm »

I use the Uline heavy duty cardboard tubes for most all prints unless I’m delivering in my Suburu. You have to order them in quantity. Shipping is just a part of the business, and for me one of the most important parts, especially these days.

Use the 4 inch and cut them down to correct size with simple hand saw . You have to buy the plastic caps separately.

Great advice John, and thanks to all of you.

I'm pulling an all nighter. I have 120 18x24 and 20 24x36 to print and trim and get packed. I have Thin Plywood and masonite here. I've built portfolio boxes for myself before. I just don't have the time, all has to be in Texas in 3 days.

Luckily I keep 2 spare ink carts per color. I will be replacing some tonight.

What you do for clients. :-)

I will ship the 24x36s in a 4" hard plastic tube. The 18x24 I'll ship flat, per your advice.

Thanks again!

Max

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 05:21:27 pm »

Hey Max,

Might be a bit late now, but for the next order, if you've still got the laminator, then flood coat a sheet or two of foam board. Makes  a quick and easy way to beuild the walls of a box, cut 1-2" strips of self adhesive board, and stack them up.. Then as said, more and more rigid outer layers. I have a corner where I pile old bits of stuff for packaging - 4'x10" bits of foam board etc, too big to chuck, too small to use until you need to - used to drive my assistants mad. But makes good recycling.

I also have clients who will ship back packaging in advance of new orders.

disneytoy

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 07:33:23 pm »

Hi!

Yes I might do that. I'm still trimming prints. I have 15 sheets of foamcore to go between series. The 24x36" will ship in a tube. I will build a heavy duty box for the 18x24"

Thanks

Hey Max,

Might be a bit late now, but for the next order, if you've still got the laminator, then flood coat a sheet or two of foam board. Makes  a quick and easy way to beuild the walls of a box, cut 1-2" strips of self adhesive board, and stack them up.. Then as said, more and more rigid outer layers. I have a corner where I pile old bits of stuff for packaging - 4'x10" bits of foam board etc, too big to chuck, too small to use until you need to - used to drive my assistants mad. But makes good recycling.

I also have clients who will ship back packaging in advance of new orders.

disneytoy

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 06:23:35 pm »

Shipped, Thanks.

FedEx  $522. Yikes!~!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up