Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Light at the End of the Hallway  (Read 616 times)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
The Light at the End of the Hallway
« on: November 29, 2020, 12:48:10 pm »

Figuratively as well as literally.

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 02:08:19 pm »

Well seen.

May I demonstrate how I would process it?

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 02:20:18 pm »

May I demonstrate how I would process it?

Sure.

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 03:00:57 pm »

This is done quickly, using Apple's Preview app, with very rudimentary controls, but you'll get the idea.

Of course, that would be my interpretation of the scene, your view might be completely different.

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 03:09:29 pm »

This is done quickly, using Apple's Preview app, with very rudimentary controls, but you'll get the idea.

Very interesting.  I tried a monochrome version, but pure black-and-white didn't occur to me; your treatment makes it quite abstract.

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 07:11:27 pm »

Very interesting.  I tried a monochrome version, but pure black-and-white didn't occur to me; your treatment makes it quite abstract.
That's what I was going to say. Slobo's way of looking and thinking is just another rendition of the original. This is why I seldom critique good photographers and good images. It's just another way of abstracting what someone else's original abstraction. You can do this with virtually every image. But it is an interesting take. I really do like the original - makes me want to go back to slide film photography.

JR
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2204
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 07:26:26 pm »

I really do like the original - makes me want to go back to slide film photography.

I didn't try to mimic the color rendition (at least not consciously), but this is the kind of image I might have shot on Fuji Velvia.

Mark Nadler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 911
Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 07:31:31 pm »

I like both images.  Slobodan's image looks like a picture of a scultpure.  The original is more like a painting.

mark
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: The Light at the End of the Hallway
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 07:33:58 pm »

The original has ambiguity that grabs you. Slobodan's takeoff is a fine piece of graphics, but it doesn't have the grabbing power of the original.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up