Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX-100 multishot mode is now available  (Read 2208 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:50:29 am by BernardLanguillier »

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
Re: Fuji GFX-100 multishot mode is now available
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 03:59:11 pm »

I will install it and do my own testing - but I’m curious to see other member’s results and experiences with it. I want to see if it’s suitable for architecture ...

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 08:50:30 pm »

Must say a real surprise and serious upgrade. Makes the GFX100 even more attractive.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 10:00:29 pm »

My first tests are not very encouraging unfortunately.

Not as bad as what was reported by others, but I see clear pixel level artifacts on edges even with totally motionless subjects shot using a super steady RRS 4 series tripod and Arca cube head. This is clearly visible when looking at the image at 100% on a full HD 30 inch screen.

Compared to one of the 16 shots, the resulting image scaled down to 102 mp feels a bit sharper, but the difference isn't as high as it should be.

I don't know if the issue is with the capture algorithm or with the Fuji Pixel Shift Combiner utility, but if what I see is representative of the capability, I don't consider it useful at the moment.

One possible issue is that my test was with the 120mm macro with IS deactivated. One poster commented that using this lens was not recommended due to possible motion of the stabilizing element between shots... maybe... I'll try again with another lens but this in itself would be a problem.

Anyway, I was not expecting this capability when I bought the camera, so I cannot complain, but a bit disappointed still.

Cheers,
Bernard

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 03:05:40 am »

I've encountered exactly the same errors and a few others. I had used a Canon TS-E 135mm and the Fuji G 110mm for testing - there were no differences in the error pattern.

Multi Shot turns hot pixels into beautiful patterns ...  ::)

Left the mulitshot file / right the original RAF RAW

Capure One destroys the file when exporting the MS-DNG file as TIF.

The curious thing is - PSD files are limited to 2GB. Capture One writes a 2.3 GB PSD file that can be processed anywhere without errors. I tried the current 20 version as well as the last Beta 21 version - no difference was found.

From my point of view, the FUJIFILM Pixel Shift Combiner software is still in a very early stage.

Greetings Gerd

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 03:23:23 am »

Addendum:

I just forgot. According to the hotpixel pattern, I would assume that only 12 images were processed (4x3 hotpixels). But 16 pictures have been taken and processed.

Greetings Gerd

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 03:46:38 am »

At least exporting the DNG in Tiff from C1 Pro 21 beta didn't generate such issues. Why use PSD?

Cheers,
Bernard

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 05:16:06 am »

How is the shutter working during pixel shift?  Is it fully electronic?

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 06:22:58 am »

At least exporting the DNG in Tiff from C1 Pro 21 beta didn't generate such issues. Why use PSD?

Cheers,
Bernard

Because I cannot export a Fuji Multi-Shot DNG from C1 as a Tiff file without errors. That's why I tried PSD in the absence of other alternatives.

Greetings Gerd

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 06:24:55 am »

How is the shutter working during pixel shift?  Is it fully electronic?

Yes

Greetings Gerd

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 09:08:02 am »

Can some shed a bit of light of a couple of questions I have.

1.  Color profile, when the Fuji Software exports the image as a 16 bit Dng, what color profile does LR or C1 apply?   In the past with other cameras that produce DNG (raw) C1 IMO does not do the greatest job of applying a color profile as it applies a neutral DNG profile.  I usually pick a camera and apply that profile.  Since C1 has a color profile for the GFX, does C1 20 or 21 see the combined file DNG as a Fuji file and apply a Fuji profile or the standard DNG profile?  Similar to how C1 handles a DJI drone raw which is a dng.  C1 has no profiles for DJI products.

2.  How are the files stored on a card?  There are 16 images taken, so if you had other images on a card how do you tell where the 16 images start and finish?  Unless they have unique numbering.  I have though that unless there are unique number/names, then you would be forced to use a black frame before and after to know where to look.

Still hope to see a version of this for a 4 shot 100MP output in the future, as you could take advantage of the process to remove all or most of color aliasing which is standard with all Bayer pattern chips that only record 1 color and interpolates 2.

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 09:46:56 am »

Can some shed a bit of light of a couple of questions I have.

1.  Color profile, when the Fuji Software exports the image as a 16 bit Dng, what color profile does LR or C1 apply?   In the past with other cameras that produce DNG (raw) C1 IMO does not do the greatest job of applying a color profile as it applies a neutral DNG profile.  I usually pick a camera and apply that profile.  Since C1 has a color profile for the GFX, does C1 20 or 21 see the combined file DNG as a Fuji file and apply a Fuji profile or the standard DNG profile?  Similar to how C1 handles a DJI drone raw which is a dng.  C1 has no profiles for DJI products.

C1 shows a Fuji GFX 100 Generic camera profile. Other Fuji profiles (color simulations) don't work at all. E.g. SW conversion with Acros or similar have no effect. ACR shows the standard Adobe color profile.

2.  How are the files stored on a card?  There are 16 images taken, so if you had other images on a card how do you tell where the 16 images start and finish?  Unless they have unique numbering.  I have though that unless there are unique number/names, then you would be forced to use a black frame before and after to know where to look.

Still hope to see a version of this for a 4 shot 100MP output in the future, as you could take advantage of the process to remove all or most of color aliasing which is standard with all Bayer pattern chips that only record 1 color and interpolates 2.

Thanks
Paul C

The RAW's are saved from the file name according to your set scheme. There is no visible distinction here. However, the RAW's seem to contain a TAG which indicates the series. With the FUJIFILM Pixel Shift Combiner software, all you have to do is select a single image from the series, the software will automatically select all the RAWs that belong to it and create a MultiShot DNG. If images are missing or you intentionally do not use MultiShot RAW's, the software will refuse the service.

If C1 would read the TAG's it could create a Sequence ID folder with the MultiShot sequence (similar to P1 with focus stacking).

Greeting Gerd

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 10:46:02 am »

Thanks Gerd

One other question, will LR/ACR allow you to browse for the "Fuji" profiles? or are you stuck with the Adobe ones (which load for DJI drone images), like modern 4 5 etc?

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

nazdravanul

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 11:18:45 am »

One thing I'm noticing - C1 is beyond slow in rendering the images. I end up thinking a lot of time I have an unsharp image, but a few minutes later, I discover it's all good on my monitor, if I stop fiddling with it. My 27" Imac needs a huge upgrade in ... I have no idea what, immediately  ;D

Also, I would like to get internet wisdom on the best sharpening settings - as the default for the lower res (standard, single shot GFX 100)  file are applied, and clearly the higher res needs, multishot file, needs different sharpening.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 11:32:53 am by nazdravanul »

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 11:19:45 am »

Thanks Gerd

One other question, will LR/ACR allow you to browse for the "Fuji" profiles? or are you stuck with the Adobe ones (which load for DJI drone images), like modern 4 5 etc?

Thanks
Paul

ACR is permanently set to Adobe Profile. I can only choose the default Adobe profiles.

According to RAWDigger, it only has three channels of RGB and not RGBG2.

Greetings Gerd

nazdravanul

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 12:12:47 pm »

One thing I've discovered: the best way to work with the DNG file and compare it against the single shot, is to export both as 16 bit tiffs from Capture1 and then open and play with both files in Photoshop. The multishot simply crushes the single shot, no ifs, buts or don'ts.
My GFX 100 (multishot file) makes my GFX 100 (regular file) look bad  :)
And what is interesting is that you don't even need to zoom in, to see / feel the difference.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:13:49 pm by nazdravanul »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 07:01:17 pm »

Has someone already tried the pixelshift support of C1 Pro 14.02?

Cheers,
Bernard

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 01:17:16 am »

C1P version 14.02?

The current date is 14.01.5 and a current beta is not offered. Where did you see version 14.02?

Greetings Gerd

Remko

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 06:07:15 am »

C1P version 14.02?

The current date is 14.01.5 and a current beta is not offered. Where did you see version 14.02?

Greetings Gerd

It is available for download since yesterday, Gerd.

cheers,
Remko

Gerd_Peters

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 06:21:50 am »

ah - just saw it.

many thanks.....

Greetings Gerd
Pages: [1]   Go Up