Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded PC and now it's slower!  (Read 1202 times)

andyptak

Upgraded PC and now it's slower!
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:04:10 am »

I went from a 5 yr or so old Dell i7 with 32 gig RAM and WD Reds to a new Asus i9 with 64 gig RAM and .M2 drives, and opening and closing files in PS is very slow - spinning wheel slow. Even LR is a bit slow but PS is a lot slower.

I have over 200K images on a WD NAS and I understand that calling up images from that may be a bit slower because of the network, but images in a separate Samsung SSD on board the Asus are also slow. I have all my software on one M2, my Catalogue on a second M2 and my images on a third drive - Samsung 860 SSD.

I've checked my settings and can't find anything, which is about as far as my knowledge goes. I also have the latest versions of LR and PS and I'm wondering if there are bug issues there - I've encountered a few other processing issues that other people who have the new upgrades are complaining about in forum posts - but I don't think the new release bug issues have anything to do with the speed of opening and saving files - but what do I know? Thanks.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Upgraded PC and now it's slower!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:31:12 am »

Should be blinding fast compared to your old machine.  Except for an older 8xxx i7 chip mine is similar (drives etc) and runs large filesin PS and LR very happily.

Do you still have the old one?  How about running the Puget Sound PS benchmark on both?  There is a Raw file open score on the PS version that would test the i/o, then all the other stuff for Ps performance.  There is a LR benchmark as well.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/PugetBench-for-Photoshop-1132/#Benchmarktests

Mike

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:32:36 am »

the NAS-speed treshold is usually the ethernet connection...  gigabit ethernet means about 100MB/sec.

New or old computer- speed will be the same if the ethernet speed is the same.
you can copy some of the files to the ssd to see the speed of this connection

you could use    'Black magic Blackmagic Disk Speed Test'     to see the actual speed of the harddrives.
It is a free program. Try that first to make sure the hard drives perform as they should.

If that works out fine it is indeed something with photoshop- the ssd can do about 500mb/sec the SATA limit.
A thing that definitely makes saving faster/loading a lot faster is saving without compression. You can choose that in the preferences of photoshop.

I have a PCI SSD raid and photoshop loads and saves are at about 1000mb /sec or more. ( without compression)
( it can do about 5000MB/sec)

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

andyptak

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 05:45:15 pm »

Thanks guys.

I'm on a PC so I can't use the BlackMagic, but the Puget test looks interesting. My version of PS is not yet supported but they promise it soon, so I'll have to keep an eye out for that. In the meantime I could take up knitting.

I'll be back here with the results when they are available and I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Thanks again and keep well.

tived

• http://
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 03:17:41 am »

There is always the chance that you have gone speed blind - adjusted to the new normal

I think unless you have something to compare with it will be really hard to tell

What version of Photoshop/Lightroom are you using?

Could you specify your system specs

Thanks

Henrik

andyptak

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:49:45 am »

I was opening a file in LR so I could count how many seconds it took to appear in PS and then something new - although possibly related - happened. Duh.

After a few seconds, while still on the LR panel, a message appeared, with a big red X "Adobe Photoshop. Could not open (file name) because there isn't enough room to display this document".

The file was an untouched dng from a Sony a7r3. All of my three internal drives have lots of space.

I have downloaded Samsung Magician which is a utility to configure and tweak the drives, which also shows their read/write speed.

Results below.

sequential mb/s                                                                                                        random IOPS

Read                          Write                                                                 Read                                          Write

c: NVME drive  3332                          1286                                                              23925                                            138671

d: NVME drive  3326                           3281                                                             23925                                            162353 

e: Sata SSD     282                             198                                                               16845                                             40771

Thank goodness I'm unemployed due to Covid, otherwise I wouldn't have the time or patience for this crap. Thanks all.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:31:53 am by andyptak »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 11:19:00 am »

So the culprit is the sata SSD?  Certainly looks like it.  Is that a new drive with your system or one you had been using with your old desktop?
It might also be worth checking a different SATA lane just in case there's a problem with your MB

And you could confirm this by putting some images on one of your NVME drives and verifying PS and LR are running normally (which should be much faster than your old machine).

Mike

degrub

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 12:13:25 pm »

That message relates to RAM - either video card ram or motherboard ram.  Or a video card driver issue. Or an operating system file corruption.

What OS is installed and what version ?

What video card model number and driver version  or is it using integrated graphics on the CPU ?

What programs are running in the background while this is occurring ? Antivirus, etc.

andyptak

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 01:57:27 pm »

I'm on Windows 10. latest version. The GPU is an Invidia Quadro P4000. I've tried turning the Graphics Processor on and off in PS and haven't noticed anything. I've also tried Basic and Advanced settings to no avail.

This is a new development and obviously the result of something I have done, but I've tried so many things trying to fix my other problems that I have no idea of what that could be.

I can open a shot in PS from LR about two or three times before I get this "not enough room" message and then if I close PS and or reboot, I can start the sequence all over again before I get the message.

There were messages over at the Adobe Forum that this relates to actual physical room on the workspace, usually because the tool bar or something like that have been undocked and are in the way, but that sounds a bit goofy to me - however, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 02:04:22 pm »

Maybe - the harddisk with the system on it - is about full?
check that?  you need at least 20% space to run.
and how much ram has your computer... ? 16+ would be prefered
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

andyptak

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 02:09:32 pm »

Disks are about half full and I have 64 RAM.

andyptak

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 02:11:16 pm »

mcbroomf - I put a shot on the Desktop, C drive, and it took 17 seconds to open. Not very good.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 02:26:22 pm »

mcbroomf - I put a shot on the Desktop, C drive, and it took 17 seconds to open. Not very good.

That seems slow.  Opening an A7R4 raw into PS/ACR from my SATA SSD takes 6 secs, would probably be faster from one of my NVME drives.
In your PS preferences Where is your PS scratch disk?  How much RAM is assigned to PS?

andyptak

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 02:39:56 pm »

I have 42 gigs of RAM assigned and my scratch disk is D which is an NVME drive with 863 gigs spare.

Joe Towner

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 03:11:49 pm »

What security software do you use? Anti-virus/malware/etc stuff.  What does Task Manager say is running?

Something isn't right - maybe roll back to an earlier version of photoshop as a test?
t: @PNWMF

andyptak

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 05:12:00 pm »

I have Malware Malbytes and Windows Defender. I also have Acronis True Image and wondered if the Active Protection feature which defends from Ransomware was messing with me ?? Don't know enough to make an educated guess though.

I wish I could roll back but this is a new machine with a new install. Nothing previous on it. I checked my Adobe account to see if a previous version was available to me and nothing showed.

geneo

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 05:30:57 pm »

I have Malware Malbytes and Windows Defender. I also have Acronis True Image and wondered if the Active Protection feature which defends from Ransomware was messing with me ?? Don't know enough to make an educated guess though.

I wish I could roll back but this is a new machine with a new install. Nothing previous on it. I checked my Adobe account to see if a previous version was available to me and nothing showed.

You should not be running multiple antivirus real-time protection.  Choose one or the other or you will run into issues. You can have a mix, just not real-time. For instance I use Microsoft defender for real time, but use MalwareBytes to do manual scans (with their real-time disabled).
Walk softly and carry a big lens

andyptak

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 06:05:34 pm »

I do the same as you with Malware, but Acronis must run all of the time to work.

degrub

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 08:32:46 pm »

Is there a way to force PS back to defaults - settings, tool bars, etc ?
Otherwise,  i would consider uninstalling PS and other programs, reboot, reboot again. And then reinstall and test one at a time.

If you make a full disk image snapshot you should be able to revert to that image version if you find an issue.

It well could be a memory leak or PS refusing to release memory with each image being opened until it runs out of working memory.

That used to be a known issue, but i thought it had been fixed a while back.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 05:44:58 am »

I checked my Adobe account to see if a previous version was available to me and nothing showed.
Open the Creative Cloud app so that you see the list of programs installed.  To the right of PS and LR Classic you will see 3 dots.  Click on that and the options for Uninstall and Other Versions should show.  Uninstall the version(s) you have then install one of the older versions.  Note that there was a PS update yesterday.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up