Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P5000: A Dimension Request  (Read 843 times)

RPS

P5000: A Dimension Request
« on: November 23, 2020, 02:17:55 pm »

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time writer. I’m getting ready to order a P5000, and have had a heck of a time figuring out where to put this chunk. I’ve settled on fabricating a rolling base to accommodate it in my workspace.

Could a P5000 owner with a tape measure and spare time provide the footprint dimensions? My dealer said 34” wide by 30.2” deep: but judging by Epson’s photos, it seems the footprint excluding the roll housing and rear hump is significantly less.

I’d like to keep my rolling base form fitting — any insight from current P5000 owners would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

-Riley
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:12:10 pm by RPS »

Tom Montgomery

Re: P5000: A Dimension Request
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:48:32 pm »

[...]  Could a P5000 owner with a tape measure and spare time provide the footprint dimensions? My dealer said 34” wide by 30.2” deep: but judging by Epson’s photos, it seems the footprint excluding the roll housing and rear hump is significantly less.

My P5000 is indeed 34" wide, and the housing excluding the roll and rear bump is 23.5" deep.  However, the outside dimensions of the footprint of the 4 rubber feet is only 20" wide by 19" deep, so in theory a stand with those dimensions would support it.

RPS

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:38:53 pm »

That's very helpful -- thank you for taking the time to check it. All the info I need to proceed. I'm eager to move up to the P5000.

Thank you again, Tom.

Mick Sang

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:56:54 pm »

That's very helpful -- thank you for taking the time to check it. All the info I need to proceed. I'm eager to move up to the P5000.

You won't regret it - unless perhaps a new version is immanent which would not require black switching and would likely have Violet ink. But, it would also have the new wider head which provides faster prints but lower resolution and it may also require Epson Media Installer. We have one of these new beasts - P9570 and I can tell you that based upon my experience with it Epson has a lot of work to do to fix their software related issues.

So, I would still say that you can not go wrong with the P5000. We also have one and it has been an excellent, reliable printer which yields print quality which is difficult to beat. The new inks improve d-max slightly. Once you have your P5000, please correct me if I'm wrong but my bet is that you will be very pleased by it.

Mick

RPS

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 04:18:19 pm »

Hey Mick,

Thanks for sharing. Your experience and thoughts really help. I struggled with the decision for a few months — in hindsight I should’ve posted to seek advice like yours. It would’ve made the decision much easier.

I weighed the P5000 against the P900, and whether to wait for the P5000’s successor. Reading early user feedback from the P900 and the larger P7570/9570 stablemates gave me the impression that Epson gets it mostly — but not entirely — right the first time. They depend on real-world owners’ feedback to work out the kinks in their new printers; whereas I prefer daily reliability and can trade their latest technology for fuss-free performance.

As you said, the next-gen’s expanded inkset is appealing, but being at the mercy of Epson’s newest engineering has its downside. The dedicated MK + PK is convenient yet 90% of my work is on Entrada Rag Natural, so it isn’t one of my priorities.

The P5000 is on its way. I’m excited. Thank you again, Mick.

Cheers,
Riley

bobjoek

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 08:44:05 pm »

Riley,

You will enjoy the P5000.  It is built like a tank and exudes the quality of a pro printer.  Plus if you have any problems during the warranty period, Epson will provide on site service.  I purchased a P5000 two years ago and it has proved to be very reliable.  Only had two clogs during that time and both were resolved with one cleaning cycle.  I frequently go several weeks between print jobs, yet the printer has always started up with no clogs.  With the P5000, Epson has made a significant improvement from it’s predecessor, the 4900.

Bob

sportmaster

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 12:53:22 pm »

I really like the P5000   So far mine has worked great except for the occasional clog which I have been able to clear.

The problem is that I've been traumatized by it's predecessor, the 4900. 

RPS

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 11:37:04 am »

Hey Mick, Bob & Sportmaster,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. It’s reassuring to read your positive experiences — I hope to be an equally contented P5000 owner.

I received mine on Friday. Impeccable experience from delivery to first print. As you say, Bob, it’s built to a high standard; moreso than any of my previous Epson printers.

It’s a joy to use. The output outpaces my old 3880 and P600, even a casual print comparison shows improvement. The paper handling is so nice — efficient, accurate, and robust. Coming from Epson’s consumer tier of printers, I sure appreciate the P5000’s engineering. Lots of sensible design choices, no niggles, and no compromises that make you think, gee, they skimped.

I’m happy to have purchased now, albeit at the end of the P5000’s production cycle. My printer is about seven weeks old; a speedy turnaround from the date of manufacture to delivery stateside. I presume it’s from Epson’s last batch prior to unveiling the next generation. Come what may with its descendant: the P5000 meets my expectations for a first-rate, production printer.

It’s printing beautifully. All smiles here, so far.

Thanks again to all those who’ve shared feedback in this thread.

Wishing you lots of fine prints,
Riley
Pages: [1]   Go Up