Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best lenses ever designed?  (Read 4538 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Best lenses ever designed?
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:28:17 pm »

Would anyone be interested in providing their top 5 of best lenses ever designed?

Just pure image quality, whatever the focal length, format,... based on first hand experience of course.

Here is mine from wide to tele in 35mm equivalent focal length order:
1. Phaseone Schneider Blue Ring 45mm f3.5
2. Nikon S 58mm f0.95 Noct
3. Rodenstock 90mm HR f5.6
4. Zeiss Otus 100mm f1.4
5. Nikon 200mm f2.0 VR II

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Best lenses ever designed?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 05:59:49 am »

Maybe it is good to mention why?

i say this because i have read some reservations about the Otus 85mm from you about bokeh... and i know the bokeh of the nikkor 58mm is one of its strong points.
(the 200mm f2 lens is desirable except for its size and weight...!)
and what makes the schneider and rodenstck stand out? etc
+ examples if you can show your opinion i an image ...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 03:39:29 pm »

i have read some reservations about the Otus 85mm from you about bokeh

Maybe that's why that lens is not on the list

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 08:11:41 pm »

maybe you are right :)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 09:22:52 pm »

Maybe it is good to mention why?

i say this because i have read some reservations about the Otus 85mm from you about bokeh... and i know the bokeh of the nikkor 58mm is one of its strong points.
(the 200mm f2 lens is desirable except for its size and weight...!)
and what makes the schneider and rodenstck stand out? etc
+ examples if you can show your opinion i an image ...

On the why, I don't think that image quality relates to a specific application.

And yes, I find the out of focus highlights of the Otus 100mm f1.4 much nicer than those of the 85mm f1.4. I guess this is why Zeiss needed several years to release it.

Cheers,
Bernard

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 04:10:36 am »

'Image quality' means absolutely nothing if it isn't the focal length you need, or if the lens can't actually AF fast enough to track a moving subject (for the focal lengths at which that is relevant).

Theoretically perfect manual-focus lenses are all well and good if you're shooting nonmoving subjects in a controlled environment, but are far less useful out in the field where subjects are moving and you can't reshoot at leisure.

On that note:

Sony 12-24 f/2 8 GM - sharper than every other zoom in that range, as well as most of the primes, including all the primes at the wider end of the range.

Sigma 35mm f/1.2 DN - best thing in that focal length range with autofocus. Just pips out the Canon 35mm.

Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 E - sharp corner-to-corner at every focal length, and fast-focusing. No competitor in its class, although Canon and Tamron have a significant size and weight advantage in the RF and the 70-180.

Sigma 105mm f/1.4 - super-sharp, great bokeh. Less of a cat's eye bokeh at the edges compared to the Nikon, so it gets the win, but at a huge penalty in weight.

Sony 135 f/1.8 - this thing's just super-sharp.

Canon 200mm f/2L - super-sharp, smooth bokeh and fast-focusing. A look you can't really replicate with any other lens.

Canon/Sony/Nikon 400mm f/2.8 - all the 400/2.8 lenses are super-sharp. Sony wins this one on weight, but image quality is near-identical among the top-end superteles.

Petrus

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 04:50:08 am »

'Image quality' means absolutely nothing if it isn't the focal length you need, or if the lens can't actually AF fast enough to track a moving subject (for the focal lengths at which that is relevant).

Theoretically perfect manual-focus lenses are all well and good if you're shooting nonmoving subjects in a controlled environment, but are far less useful out in the field where subjects are moving and you can't reshoot at leisure.

Ah, well... In late seventies on Sunday evenings I sometimes had to shoot ice hockey, basketball and volleyball games all being played at the same time (taxicab was waiting outside with meter ticking) for the national newspaper I worked for. Motor drive at full speed 3 frames per second, Tri-X pushed to 800 ASA, full matte focusing glass. Auto focus????

I never failed to get the pictures expected of me.

Sorry for the interruption...

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 05:05:08 am »

I'm more attracted to lenses that are less than perfect: image qualities rather than image quality.

vulture

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 05:09:58 am »

Zeiss Biotar 75 mm/ f 1.5 (second version 18 aperture blades)
Voigtländer 125 mm/ f 2.5
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:23:24 am by vulture »

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 05:15:23 am »

I have to add my vote for the current Leica Summilux 35mm ASPH FLE and APO Summicron 50mm.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 05:48:18 am »

I have to add my vote for the current Leica Summilux 35mm ASPH FLE and APO Summicron 50mm.

This is a case in point. I've used this lens extensively over many years and would describe it as a lens that displays distinct image qualities that can be used to advantage rather than a lens that renders perfectly.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 09:12:03 am »

I do not have the knowledge nor enough use of many different lenses for choosing the best lenses ever designed.

I am with lenses as i am with cars, if i know them for some time and helped me to do something there is a kind of bond.
So i have a bond with a  then 10 years old Renault 4 i drove through the sahara with friends - an old peugeot 305 that i drove in Iceland and even got its gearbox repaired by a friendly Icelandic farmer.

One of may favourite photos i made with my own made lightweight balsawood 4x5 camera and a 58mm f5.6 Schneider Super Angulon XL. I took it on a hiking tour the Mont Blanc.
There is a beautiful gondola that goes from France to Italy over the mont blanc glacier. It traverses horizontal and has a spectacular view.
I took one shot handheld with my 4x 5 inch and it turned out to be a good one. I was lucky with the weather, the absense of vibration, the perfect lightning on my Provia 100 slide, and the people on the photo.
a special moment that everything worked out fine. The slide is sharp from corner to corner. yes - a very fine lens.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 03:42:50 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 12:11:42 pm »

Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 23/5.6
Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 32/4
Hasselblad Zeiss Distagon 40/4 IF
Schneider Apo Digitar L 72/5.6
Schneider (Phase One) 120/4 LS Macro

Regards,
Ben

chez

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 02:20:17 pm »

Ah, well... In late seventies on Sunday evenings I sometimes had to shoot ice hockey, basketball and volleyball games all being played at the same time (taxicab was waiting outside with meter ticking) for the national newspaper I worked for. Motor drive at full speed 3 frames per second, Tri-X pushed to 800 ASA, full matte focusing glass. Auto focus????

I never failed to get the pictures expected of me.

Sorry for the interruption...

Expectations change over time. 8x10 or 11x14 were the big prints of the 70's...now they are throw away test prints for the ultimate 30x40 wall hangers.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 02:53:20 pm »

The five best/favorites for me:

47mm f/8 Super-Angulon
50mm f/4 CFL Distagon
120mm f/4 Makro-Planar
180mm f/4 Sonnar
300mm f/2.8 Nikkor (any of them!)

However, a bunch of good-quality zoom lenses over the past 35 years have made the bulk of my income to pay for it all.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

jrp

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 05:25:53 am »

The Leica SL lens line gives me all that I need: sharp, and aberration-free. The fast mid-length Nikon teles are excellent. But I think that a lot of the newest mirrorless lenses for full frame / midi frame are as good as you need at this point.

guido

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 12:32:50 pm »

Canon TS-E 50mm 2.8 L Macro

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 07:08:29 pm »

Many great inputs, thanks!

Cheers,
Bernard

Petrus

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 02:06:22 pm »

Expectations change over time. 8x10 or 11x14 were the big prints of the 70's...now they are throw away test prints for the ultimate 30x40 wall hangers.

My post was about MF lenses suitable only for stationary objects. People who think that must be max 50 years old.

My photos were always sharp (enough for 3 columns at least...).  ;D

Paul_Roark

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 11:44:07 am »

This is the best light weight, walk-about, fine art quality camera/lens I've tested or used, and DxO seems to agree -- the Sony RX1rii:

"
  • utstanding at f/2.8 and on, the Zeiss Sonnar T* 2/35 is likely to become a classic, against which all others are judged."

https://www.dxomark.com/sony-cyber-shot-rx1-carl-zeiss-sonnar-t-2-35-review-is-this-the-ultimate-moderate-wide-angle-lens/

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up