Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech cam newbie - which focal length for second lens after 32mm on IQ3 100?  (Read 1557 times)

peterm10

Hi All - I have gone down the rabbit hole of medium format backs and tech cams...

I am putting together the following (used) kit: IQ3 100 with a Cambo 5000 tech cam with RS adapter and a Rodenstock 32mm HR lens, which should be great for my style of shooting (wide angle using shift).  This should be a 35mm equivalent of 20-21mm. 

I am looking at the Rodenstock 50mm HR as a second lens for more of a "normal" focal length, although I am wondering if that's too close to the 32mm field of view and I should think more about the 70mm or the 90mm, especially for stitched landscapes.  I generally don't shoot distant vistas at infinity - I often shoot things in the close or middle distance (my website is mendelsonfineartphotography.com for examples).  I'm also intrigued by the 23mm as well for super wide, but I think the 32mm would get the most use.  I'm told Rodenstock Wide RS HR series is the way to go for this set up for the best quality (I'll be buying used).  I don't want and can't afford several lenses at this point, so I am trying to get the most flexible kit which includes the 32mm.  Assuming I may eventually get the 23mm HR, which third focal length lens would you recommend to complete the kit to shoot a wide range of subjects? I don't shoot people or portraits - this will be mainly for things like urban or rural landscapes, coastal images of boats and the shoreline, images of interesting buildings in the close and middle distance, and things like that.  50mm?  70mm?  90mm?  In terms of absolute optical quality it sounds from my preliminary research that the 90mm is spectacular, the 50mm should also be great, and the 70mm may perhaps be slightly weaker, but for me they would all probably be good enough and the focal length is more important.

I'm also looking at the Flickr Rodenstock users group for examples, but any advice or thoughts here are appreciated (please go easy on the newbie!).

Thanks,

Peter

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction

Rodenstock HR70 t/s is excellent and easy to use.  But the Rodenstock 90 is better yet.  ;D

pemihan

If you can find it the Schneider-Kreuznach Apo Digitar 60mm XL is a stellar lens with a huge IC and very light weight. But as Schneider pulled out of the tech race it's only available as on the second hand market and very rarely comes up for sale.
Otherwise both Ken's suggestions are great!

peterm10

Thanks both - I think the 90mm may be next on my list...if I sell a bunch of stuff to help pay for it...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

The Roddy 90mm HR is certainly on the short list of candidates for the best lens ever designed.

Cheers,
Bernard

pemihan

The Roddy 90mm HR is certainly on the short list of candidates for the best lens ever designed.

Cheers,
Bernard

And on the short list of candidates for one of the most expensive lenses ever designed.  :o
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:01:29 am by pemihan »

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES

And on the short list of candidates for one of the most expensive lens ever designed.  :o

Guess the 138 will win that race...  :o

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES

It's close!

https://www.digitalback.com/product/leica-noctilux-m-75mm-f-1-25-asph/

https://www.digitalback.com/product/cambo-rodenstock-138mm-hr-digaron-aperture-only/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Indeed, I was thinking Tech camera lenses only - but, add a X Shutter to the 138 (or probably any tech camera's lens plate) and you'll leave the 75mm Nocti behind real fast... ;)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

Ghaag

Peter, I started with almost the exact kit you have.  Mine was the IQ3 100, Cambo 1600 and the 32mm Rodenstock.  My second lens was the 90mm and my third was the 180.  I find that my frequency of use also falls in about that same order.
Good luck and enjoy!

MN

Re: Tech cam newbie - which focal length for second lens after 32mm on IQ3 100?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 08:54:36 pm »

Hi All - I have gone down the rabbit hole of medium format backs and tech cams...

I am putting together the following (used) kit: IQ3 100 with a Cambo 5000 tech cam with RS adapter and a Rodenstock 32mm HR lens, which should be great for my style of shooting (wide angle using shift).  This should be a 35mm equivalent of 20-21mm. 

The ALPA sales pitch is of course not to be taken too seriously, but there is some truth in the "Holy Trinity" of 32mm, 50mm, and 90mm Digaron-W(S) lenses.

Well spaced and covering both extremes of the Digaron-W(S) lens range.

------------------------------
For many reasons, the ALPAGON 32mm HR comes with a real exceptional position in the ALPA lens portfolio: Together with the HR ALPAGON 50mm and HR ALPAGON 90mm, it forms the "Holy Trinity" ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up