Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikkor Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct Lens: It Is That Good  (Read 1041 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Nikkor Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct Lens: It Is That Good
« on: November 15, 2020, 11:27:23 am »

I can’t help but read the various reports on the very special Nikon Nikkor Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct Lens, often by people who have never even tried it. I had to sell an enormous amount of camera stuff to purchase my copy, some of which I miss. Was it worth it?

For me, and the kind of close-up work I do, it was totally worth it. I find myself reaching for the Noct95 just all the time, almost embarrassingly so. This is just a very superior lens.

It has a huge focus throw, which is what I need for detailed stacked photos and it is fast as fast gets. It is also just as sharp as I could ask for, and I am fussy.

The lens is heavy and quite a lug, and every time I pick it up, I have to compensate for that weight. It is so helpful to have horizontal/vertical positioning build in. It would be difficult without that. The focus throw is a little stiff for my taste, but seems to be loosening up and it is not about to slide one way or the other, so perhaps that is compensation for the drag or stiffness.

I guess the only reason I am writing this is to point out that there is really not much wrong with this lens and a whole lot of things right, amazingly right. Those of you who rent a copy will find out that it is not true because I say it, but that I say it is because it’s true.

Here is a photo (stacked) I just took this morning with the Nikon Z7 and the Noct95 of a Datura inoxia bloom.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

bobfriedman

Re: Nikkor Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct Lens: It Is That Good
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 05:01:30 pm »

very nice Michael.. I am curious how many stacked images and I am assuming the the magnification ratio was something like 0.33?
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 05:29:54 pm »

The stack was about 60 and I don't know the mag ration was, probably as close as I could get with that lens.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 06:57:36 pm »

Looks just extraordinary. I bought my Z6s mostly for video but they've become my go-to cameras for stills as well.

The 58 f/0.95 would be a killer video lens!

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 07:53:01 pm »

The 58 f/0.95 would be a killer video lens!

It would. I have a Sony FS5, but how to mount it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 06:21:15 pm »

Very very nice image and the rendering is indeed just magical.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 05:45:18 am »

The lens renders very beautiful, but the image needs some retouching- as almost always with focus stacks
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 12:32:17 pm »

The lens renders very beautiful, but the image needs some retouching- as almost always with focus stacks

Yes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up