Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR & graphics processor  (Read 1070 times)

tonyespofoito

ACR & graphics processor
« on: November 14, 2020, 10:59:57 am »

I'm having a problem with ACR and my graphics card. I built this system myself back in 2016. My level of experience with this is limited, but I thought I'd try it. Somewhere, I found a reference that this processor was supported by Photoshop, so I purchased it. It is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB. I was never able to get it to work with ACR. I contacted Adobe, but they were of very limited assistance. I had the feeling that the help desk knew even less than I did. The graphics processor is recognized by Photoshop and seems to work well. I have some 20GB image files with many layers which the machine handles well, considering their size. But it does not work with ACR. As near as I can tell, the drivers are up to date. The machine has 64 GB of RAM, is running Windows 7 64bit, SP 1. Windows & PS are on a Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD. Image files are on an 8TB WD drive. Even without using the graphics processor, ACR will process 5DS raw files to 16bit PSD files in about 10 secs each. It does exhibit some problems when displaying upright or other image geometry corrections. I have this nagging feeling that because of my ignorance, I am not getting everything I can out of this machine. Attached is the PS info file. I've considered getting an NVME SSD and upgrading to Windows 10, but I'm unwilling to go through the agony of an upgrade without the certainty of solving the problem. I've also considered purchasing a different graphics card, but again, I don't want to do it blindly. It is also possible that even without the graphics processor, this machine is working about as fast as it can. If anyone can raise my ignorance ceiling, I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks in advance,
Tony   

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: ACR & graphics processor
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 11:53:48 am »

Can you look at Performance in ACR Preferences and check if the Use Graphic Processor in Off, Auto or Custom.  In Custom you can check if GPU is to be used for image processing. 

My GPU is one generation older than yours and it seems to work fine. 

:Niranjan.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 11:56:05 am »

GPU's, especially under Windows is buggy while more and more processing is being off loaded to them certainly by Adobe. Update the drivers when possible.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tonyespofoito

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 04:27:11 pm »

In ACR, the graphics processor is off with the message that the processor is not supported. In Photoshop, the graphics processor is enabled. However, it may not be my graphics card but instead, the processor on the motherboard. In preferences, the detected processor is not named. It is on advanced, but openCL cannot be enabled nor can I enable it to speed up computation. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

tonyespofoito

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 04:31:58 pm »

Andrew, Thank you for responding. I'm not surprised that it is buggy. Incidentally, we met once, long ago. You gave a program in CT at a CPPA convention. Probably in the early 2000s.
Regards,
Tony 

arobinson7547

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 04:58:23 pm »

There is no harm done, and will serve you, if you go into your Computer's Bios (during bootup hit Delete or whatever key to enter the Bios) and Disable on-board Video (the Video Chip inside of your Processor. The machine will now only see your installed PCI Video Card (your GTX 1060). In turn, ACR will only see [and use] that card

As a before and after, you can check the Display Adapter section of Device Manager, before you will see two Adapters and after, you will only see one.

You can always go back in and reenable it, it you should need to.

Give it a try.

tonyespofoito

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 07:07:03 pm »

Arobinson, I will give it a try. I think that is a clever suggestion. It will eliminate one possibility and just might force Photoshop and ACR to accept and use the card. Thank you very much.

tonyespofoito

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 12:32:41 pm »

I tried disabling the on-board processor, in the BIOS, but PS and ACR automatically re-enable it. Contrary to what I first posted, PS is not using the graphics card, only the on-board processor. The latest edition of PS requires WIN 10. I hate upgrading, because it is likely to create more problems than it solves, so I will just sit tight til my next build. Thank you everyone who took the time to respond. Best wishes for a HEALTHY, happy and prosperous new year.

TonyW

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 03:30:24 pm »

I tried disabling the on-board processor, in the BIOS, but PS and ACR automatically re-enable it. Contrary to what I first posted, PS is not using the graphics card, only the on-board processor. The latest edition of PS requires WIN 10. I hate upgrading, because it is likely to create more problems than it solves, so I will just sit tight til my next build. Thank you everyone who took the time to respond. Best wishes for a HEALTHY, happy and prosperous new year.
AFAIK it is not possible that the Adobe applications can re enable anything that you have truly disabled in BIOS.  Check in Device Manager to see if it is disabled

The 6GB GTX 1060 is a perfectly good card for PS and LR - I use a 2GB 960GTX card without issue!

IF you have truly disabled on board GPU processing and you see an image on the monitor then this must be from the new Graphics card.

Any problems are likely to stem from the GPU drivers once the onboard graphics disabled

You may wish to try this to disable onboard graphics:
Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Display adapters.  Right click on the listed on board display it may be listed as Intel integrated graphic (or similare) and select DISABLE

Windows.

No one not even MS can force you to update but I would suggest that you reconsider holding off

End of support for Windows 7 was 14th January 2020.  This means that there are no new security updates and leaves systems open to new threats

If there is just one key feature that makes Windows 10 a must it is Security. Windows 10 has far better intrinsic security features than earlier versions of Windows.  It is the most stable and secure version of Windows to date

AFAIK MS is still allowing Free upgrades to 10
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=nOD/rLJHOac&ranSiteID=nOD_rLJHOac-rqMb.yJbpLi7I8WR1NGg8Q&epi=nOD_rLJHOac-rqMb.yJbpLi7I8WR1NGg8Q&irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=%28ir__gohzstpk2wkfq0ckkk0sohz3zu2xsdq2slk6r1q600%29%287593%29%281243925%29%28nOD_rLJHOac-rqMb.yJbpLi7I8WR1NGg8Q%29%28%29&irclickid=_gohzstpk2wkfq0ckkk0sohz3zu2xsdq2slk6r1q600

Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 upgrades are unlikely to cause any problems with upgrades - with the caveat that your system does not have dozens of pre existing issues!   

I have upgraded many systems without issue both low and high spec., desktop and laptop.

Back up all of your important documents, apps, and data.  It is important to remember that a Windows 10 upgrade could wipe some of your settings and apps so it is important to backup and check if all your apps compatible.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:46:48 pm by TonyW »
Pages: [1]   Go Up