Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 - Any solutions re: printing from Mac OSx Catalina?  (Read 1390 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Z3200 - Any solutions re: printing from Mac OSx Catalina?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 04:57:44 am »

If I could get them to work on Catalina, I think I could get another 4 or 5 years out of these printers. Without that, I may start the process of replacing them in 2021.

What is wrong with Mojave?  your printer will work on it 'forever'
I consider Catalina an unfinished-in-between system ; a bridge from  OLD OSX-Mojave to NEW Big Sur/Apple Silicon.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

arobinson7547

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 09:32:20 am »

There is a lot of Software that is as old as Dirt. Surprisingly, so still work today, on today's modern Operating Systems (20yrs newer).
However, the Operating System should be chosen to 'Run your Applications' (let that read choose the Operating System that BEST runs your Application).

If you have an Application that was designed to run on Windows XP, run it on XP, if an Application was tweaked for  Windows 10, run on W10.

The solution is to use some form of Virtualization (Virtual Machine) or Multiple [Physical] machines.

I personally use Windows 2019 Server, every primary Application I use runs on the OS, except one. It's so important to me, I've downgraded my Primary System OS to Windows 2016 Server (like going from Windows 10 back to Windows 8)

On the Mac side there is still plenty of very important software that is not 64-bit, that folks still need. And he same Choices have to be made.

Personally, on the PC side we have a Single Chip with 32 cores and a current Platform that supports 128gb Ram. It's a piece of cake for me to fire of a Windows XP Rip and use that machine as a Print Server, where its' only purpose is to drive a 32-bit Windows XP Rip, controlling an older Printer.

...And run any other setup I need, without breaking a sweat or missing a beat. (I even run two MAC OS machines (Mojave for 32-bit compatibility) and Catalina for Latest and Greatest)

Oh, The Platform also has PCIe Gen4, giving better SSDs 4,900 MBps Read Times (read as incredibly fast storage to keep up with the Read/Write disk need of multiple machines)

Today, you can have it all; if you want.

But I'm sure you just want that machine to do everything you think it should do and you would like it to do.

This is just something to think about, while you are waiting.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 09:42:03 am by arobinson7547 »

deanwork

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 12:19:18 pm »

In a perfect world we should be able to run all of our printers, scanners, rips, and graphic apps on the latest Mac and Windows os. It ain’t a perfect world. Neither Apple nor Microsoft cares about us. Look, if Apple cared about us at all they would sell their IMacs with full gamut displays rather than srgb setups. The other situation is the printer manufactures care little about legacy OS or even their own printers that have been discontinued. It’s stupid because they can sell a lot of ink. It seems like Canon always provides someone you can talk to to keep their plugins working for legacy printers with new Adobe software.. Hp has always had real problems getting the glitches out of their software. They just don’t keep things up to date and it’s gotten worse.

Right now is the worst time. Apple has just released all new Macs with their new chip architecture so that is all that is on their minds. Hp has laid off up to 10k workers since 2019, and you can bet many of them are some of the best software engineers.

https://www.industryweek.com/leadership/companies-executives/article/22028349/hp-to-cut-as-much-as-16-of-workforce-amid-print-unit-woes

COVID is hurting everything as well, though,  because of iPhone Apple has done really well.

Anyway, I’ve given up on one  OS for everything. I have a 15 year old restored pc running XP for my drum scanner. Two legacy Macs for the two Z printers, a Cannon and  a 24” ” Epson. A Windows 10 for backup on those and Q-Image. Another Mac for my 44 inch Epson with QTR. The good thing about using legacy Macs to run the prints on is they are dirt cheap on eBay and last forever. Basically I use one Mac for setting work up on and the older ones for various types of printing. Sounds like a pain, but I’ve gotten used to it.

John

There is a lot of Software that is as old as Dirt. Surprisingly, so still work today, on today's modern Operating Systems (20yrs newer).
However, the Operating System should be chosen to 'Run your Applications' (let that read choose the Operating System that BEST runs your Application).

If you have an Application that was designed to run on Windows XP, run it on XP, if an Application was tweaked for  Windows 10, run on W10.

The solution is to use some form of Virtualization (Virtual Machine) or Multiple [Physical] machines.

I personally use Windows 2019 Server, every primary Application I use runs on the OS, except one. It's so important to me, I've downgraded my Primary System OS to Windows 2016 Server (like going from Windows 10 back to Windows 8)

On the Mac side there is still plenty of very important software that is not 64-bit, that folks still need. And he same Choices have to be made.

Personally, on the PC side we have a Single Chip with 32 cores and a current Platform that supports 128gb Ram. It's a piece of cake for me to fire of a Windows XP Rip and use that machine as a Print Server, where its' only purpose is to drive a 32-bit Windows XP Rip, controlling an older Printer.

...And run any other setup I need, without breaking a sweat or missing a beat. (I even run two MAC OS machines (Mojave for 32-bit compatibility) and Catalina for Latest and Greatest)

Oh, The Platform also has PCIe Gen4, giving better SSDs 4,900 MBps Read Times (read as incredibly fast storage to keep up with the Read/Write disk need of multiple machines)

Today, you can have it all; if you want.

But I'm sure you just want that machine to do everything you think it should do and you would like it to do.

This is just something to think about, while you are waiting.

arobinson7547

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 04:04:25 pm »

deanwork,

What's nice about what your are doing is those machine will stay rock solid. Because they are only doing one thing. If you go into an Offset Print Shop you will often see some very old PC running their Proofer. Because they brought it many, many years ago, and that is the machine/os Rip was made for. No one want to break it (since it's still working). So it just sits in the corner, doing just one thing... sending files to the Proofer. (think Epson 7600/9600)

They don't even suffer form many Power Supply failures, because they never turn the machines off.

I have glossed over many HP Z message about Mac user not being able to run the Printer Driver. Just use an older OS; just for running the printer.

True Story

Got a call from a Printshop who's Heidelberg Di Press's RIP had died. I went BACK to the Dumpster, where I had placed an old HP Windows 7 Tower Desktop. The Machine had gotten rained on. But when I plugged it up, it ran. So I used it to install and setup this guys RIP. The Rip was so old it needed to use NetBEUI Protocol to community with the Press. This predated IP Address. It was NetBEUI over IP Cable. I needed to use Windows XP, because it supported that Protocol.

The machine was old and slow but they only used the Press, sparingly. So that old computer got a new life.

A shiny new Computer would have done any good. What was needed was something old, and NO one wanted [or needed] to go out and buy and NEW $10,000 Rip to do what the old one still did.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:19:12 pm by arobinson7547 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up