Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Infrequent Printing Best Practice - Turn if off or leave it on?  (Read 516 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Infrequent Printing Best Practice - Turn if off or leave it on?
« on: November 09, 2020, 11:12:02 am »

I use my printer infrequently and I just spent a fair amount of money getting my Epson 2880 printer head cleaned professionally after the nozzle cleaning utility did not work. I know I should print more frequently to keep the printer head clean. However what is the best practice: Should I turn it off if I will not be using it for a couple of weeks.... or leave it on? I have heard both versions and I am not sure what the logic is for either version.

Thanks

Robert

Paul_Roark

Re: Infrequent Printing Best Practice - Turn if off or leave it on?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 11:29:09 am »

I posted this on the QuadToneRip forum recently.  It might be useful to you and others like us who do not use our printers as frequently as we should to keep them clog-free. 

I tried American Inkjet's cleaner --
https://americaninkjetsystems.com/product/inkjet-cleaning-fluid-clf007p/

My 9800 had not produced a perfect nozzle check in years.

Now it does.

I soaked a paper towel first and did the method where you pull the head across the folded, soaked paper towel.  Then I put some cleaner on the pads in the capping station and let the head sit over that for a couple of hours.   The first nozzle check after this was perfect.

The long term effect of the obvious ammonia content of the cleaner is an open question.

At any rate, as of now, this looks like a useful product.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Ferp

Re: Infrequent Printing Best Practice - Turn if off or leave it on?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 05:57:22 pm »

The turn-it-off-or-leave-it-on question has been hotly debated for ages.  I don't think there's a clear, in-general answer.  I'm not convinced it matters for Epson printers.  Keeping humidity above 40% is more important.

What you can do for an R2880 is get some refillable cartridges from InkJetMall and a large bottle of their Piezoflush, and put flush carts in when you're not printing and put the ink carts back in when you want to print.  On printers with small, on-head cartridges it's a quick and relatively inexpensive switch.  A couple of head cleans in either direction and you're set.  If you do this often enough you'll probably also want a chip resetter for the refillables. 

While this is still possible on printers with larger, off-head cartridges, such as the 9800 Paul mentioned, it's a much more expensive switch as you waste much more ink and flush each cycle.  But some people prefer that to the alternative.

I use my printer infrequently and I just spent a fair amount of money getting my Epson 2880 printer head cleaned professionally after the nozzle cleaning utility did not work. I know I should print more frequently to keep the printer head clean. However what is the best practice: Should I turn it off if I will not be using it for a couple of weeks.... or leave it on? I have heard both versions and I am not sure what the logic is for either version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up