My 2 cents. A challenging subject and scene. Do you have the opportunity to visit again and take another shot? I might try standing back with a longer lens to narrow the background field of view, and eliminate some of the distracting elements. The first image seems to show more of the full 'memorial', but suffers more from background distractions. I find the closeness of the kneeling figure's foot to the edge of the frame distracting. There is a lot of subject weight at the bottom of the picture. The second image shows less of the scope of the memorial (focusing on the fire fighters), which might be fine depending on the 'story' you want to tell. The more direct perspective works better for the figures. Is the memorial in the front yard of the house in the background of the second picture? The house may or may not be part of the story (e.g. "suburban family builds memorial to military and first responders"). If the memorial's location is part of the story, then I'd try to put the correct house into it. If not, I'd try to eliminate as much of the background as I could (using perspective and depth of field).
Bear in mind that I don't know if, location-wise, anything I'm suggesting might be possible.
My 2 cents. A challenging subject and scene. Do you have the opportunity to visit again and take another shot?
-Yes, will re-visit. typography was restrictive but challenging and fun. I have more ideas now.
I might try standing back with a longer lens to narrow the background field of view, and eliminate some of the distracting elements. The first image seems to show more of the full 'memorial', but suffers more from background distractions. I find the closeness of the kneeling figure's foot to the edge of the frame distracting.
-foot: me too and unfortunately that is the full-frame as shot. I cut too tight. Longer Lens: I will need a ladder and truck bed to put it on (next time)There is a lot of subject weight at the bottom of the picture.
-had not recognized that, Thank youThe second image shows less of the scope of the memorial (focusing on the fire fighters), which might be fine depending on the 'story' you want to tell. The more direct perspective works better for the figures. Is the memorial in the front yard of the house in the background of the second picture? The house may or may not be part of the story (e.g. "suburban family builds memorial to military and first responders"). If the memorial's location
is part of the story, then I'd try to put the correct house into it. If not, I'd try to eliminate as much of the background as I could (using perspective and depth of field).
-the story, mine anyway, is how the memorial fits into my project/collection: "Evidence of Personality and Identity[/u]"
[This project is about the assignment of personality and identity. Within the first three minutes of meeting a new person or situation, human nature drives us to appraise, classify, and designate an identity for each encounter. This primal instinct served humanity well for survival but causes much separation and conflict in modern society. My work in this project is about creating odd images whose intent and point of view is purposefully ambiguous, prompting the viewer to assign their own meaning to the photograph. By triggering the viewer, I hope they will realize the interpretation is a reflection of their own views, past, and biases, and has no reality in the image. I want viewers to reconsider their profoundly entrenched or controversial preconceptions for validity, opening the door to a more empathetic and tolerant union with the world.
] -the house in the 2nd image (4:5) is the creator's home. Thank you for making me realize the importance of that, I had not. To me, the scene CRIES OUT the Personality and Identity of its creator's and his/her quest for simpatico.Bear in mind that I don't know if, location-wise, anything I'm suggesting might be possible.
-thank you for taking the time to give this image this amount of thought. I have to continue to review the images I have, and go back to get more. I believe "it" is there, but not sure I have it yet.