Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas ripples  (Read 1573 times)

mearussi

Re: Canvas ripples
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 10:38:16 pm »

PK canvases can not handle rolled on varnishes without lifting the ink, though some are more resistant to it than others. Matte canvases should have no problems. If you do have to roller coat a gloss/satin canvas, first spray it with one of the canned solvent varnishes (Moab, Hahnemuhle, etc) then you can roller coat the canvas with a water based coating. 

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 08:29:48 am »

I don't know what a PK canvas is. The canvas I have is Epson Exhibition Canvas Natural Satin and the ink lifts with either the BK or MBK, but really all the colors (Canon Lucia) come up.
But, OK, now we are getting to at least one of the issues: I'm using a bad combination of canvas and ink. At least mearussi has a way of dealing with it. Thank you. I could use that approach, or perhaps there is another canvas that I should use. What about Canon canvas?

Now, back to the OP, will varnishing the canvas properly avoid ripples?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 09:32:39 am »

Gloss black ink, (PK) has trouble drying properly on satin, statin gloss or gloss canvas. The ink will lift most times if you try to roll coat a varnish topcoat.
If you move to a matte canvas using (mk) matte ink you will be able to roll on a varnish after your ink has dried 24 hours.
You now can control your final desired sheen by the varnish you roll on. Matte, semigloss or gloss.
You will also save money because some of the satin and gloss canvases can cost twice what the matte canvases cost.
I think I pay around $1.05 a sq. ft. for my Lexjet Sunset Select Matte Canvas.

mearussi

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 10:17:56 am »

I don't know what a PK canvas is. The canvas I have is Epson Exhibition Canvas Natural Satin and the ink lifts with either the BK or MBK, but really all the colors (Canon Lucia) come up.
But, OK, now we are getting to at least one of the issues: I'm using a bad combination of canvas and ink. At least mearussi has a way of dealing with it. Thank you. I could use that approach, or perhaps there is another canvas that I should use. What about Canon canvas?

Now, back to the OP, will varnishing the canvas properly avoid ripples?

No, all canvasses will sag over time because of changes in temperature and humidity. A poly/cotton canvas will sag less than a 100% cotton and if you use stretcher bars that can be easily retightened then that will temporarily fix the problem (until the next time). I use the GoFrame Pro kit stretcher bars that can be easily retightened by anyone just using a small hammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiY3zmL1tXM&t=58s&ab_channel=LexJet (notice the tensioners being installed at 2:30).
When your canvas sags all you have to do is give the tensioners a light tap with a hammer to retighten the canvas.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:56:28 am by mearussi »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2020, 08:23:31 am »

Dan, mearussi,
Very useful information and thank you. Unfortunately, the original canvas may not be salvageable and I will have to re-print. I will then have to decide how to stretch. Gotta use up all the stretcher bars and Epson canvas I still have! Had I known this craft (canvas printing) had such a steep learning curve, I probably would not have embarked upon it, but then I would have no control over color unless I limited myself to paper. Perhaps the smarter choice. ???

mearussi

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 09:51:56 am »

Dan, mearussi,
Very useful information and thank you. Unfortunately, the original canvas may not be salvageable and I will have to re-print. I will then have to decide how to stretch. Gotta use up all the stretcher bars and Epson canvas I still have! Had I known this craft (canvas printing) had such a steep learning curve, I probably would not have embarked upon it, but then I would have no control over color unless I limited myself to paper. Perhaps the smarter choice. ???
Like so many things canvas has it's strengths and weaknesses. The primary reason I switched to canvas from paper was a stretched canvas is so much lighter to carry than a framed picture and I'm getting old and can't lift as much as I used to. I also hate glass reflections and can't afford AR glass. Other advantages are no paper curl to deal with and very easy to store and ship a rolled canvas vs a paper print which is more easily damaged.

The two primary weaknesses are canvas sag and having to coat them, though I plan on experimenting with Breathing Color's new no coat canvases to see how well that actually works.

https://www.breathingcolor.com/collections/no-lam-canvas

I've done some prints using the Silverada which adds an interesting effect to images, and have ordered the 17M to see if I'll like it.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2020, 10:07:37 am »

Our biggest seller the last several years has been canvas on gator board attached with Miracle Muck and over
laminated with DryTac's Art Shield Satinex vinyl laminate. We have a hot laminator but instead use our 32x42 Knight Maxi heat  press to apply.
Although we purchased it for Chromaluxe metal prints it is the perfect machine to apply the Satinex vinyl laminate. Has a really great look.
The biggest plus with the vinyl is it is a much better protectant that spray.
We are also finding that gallery wraps when vinyl laminated have virtually no shrinkage and do not get loose like the others and is virtually indestructible.
Only negative that we see is the natural look and feel is now gone because the canvas has a vinyl layer applied. Always some sort of trade off.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:37:13 am by dgberg »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up