Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Epson P800 be transported by air safely ?  (Read 933 times)

Markham

Can Epson P800 be transported by air safely ?
« on: November 02, 2020, 11:37:53 am »

Hi,

I'm relocating in the next few months from Beirut all the way to Canada. I'm wondering if it is possible to transport my Epson P800 and what measures should I take ?

I have the original packaging, but I didn't preserve the transportation lock.

The printer documentation provides the following and my comments/questions in bold. Other advice not mentioned here is highly appreciated.

"During transportation and storage, follow these guidelines:
• Avoid tilting the product, placing it vertically, or turning it upside down; otherwise ink may leak. I think taking this as baggage on an airline as I travel, there will be no way to ensure this. So it has to go by air cargo? and still probably no assurances
• Leave the ink cartridges installed. Removing the cartridges can dry out the print head and may prevent the product from printing. my inks are almost full, is it a problem ?

the below are straightforward except 9 cos I don't have the "transportation lock". What can I do as an alternative?
1. Turn off the product.
2. Unplug the power cable.
3. Disconnect any connected cables.
4. Remove all the paper from the product.
5. Remove the roll paper unit.
6. Close the rear paper support and the output tray.
7. Press the front cover to open it.
8. If you changed the control panel angle, push it down to return it to its original position.
9. Attach the transportation lock that comes with your product to the bottom of the front manual feed tray and secure it with tape.

Thanks

Joe Towner

Re: Can Epson P800 be transported by air safely ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 11:21:26 pm »

Why? The amount of work, cost & risk you're going to go thru to transport it & then get it up and happy in Canada can't be worth it. Have you tried selling it locally & just plan to acquire a new one in Canada?
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 01:05:00 am »

Why? The amount of work, cost & risk you're going to go thru to transport it & then get it up and happy in Canada can't be worth it. Have you tried selling it locally & just plan to acquire a new one in Canada?
Ditto.
Also Lebanon is 240V and Canada 110V
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:38:55 am »

There's no way to check this as baggage on an airplane -- have you watched the baggage handlers throw bags from the hold? Air freight it is, but -- have you gotten a quote on air freight charges for this? They would be considerable. And there is no guarantee the printer will work when it arrives. I have a P800 and I'm not sure I'd want to drive it across town.

I'm sorry to say it, but I think Joe Towner is right, sell it to a friend locally and buy new in Canada. It will cost you some money, but possibly less than the cost of air freight, and you'll have a new, working printer.

Also, good luck with the move :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 08:22:13 am »

Sell locally and buy in Canada.  The odds of a transport process working are small vs. the odds of you having to junk a printer and inks in Canada upon arrival.

Markham

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 03:05:37 am »

The problem is that I seriously doubt I will be able to get a price in Lebanon.  Lebanon is in a deep economic/financial crisis where purchasing power eroded by 75%.  Photographers rarely, if ever, make prints here. I'm probably among the 1 in 200,000 who print at home.

I will try to sell it nevertheless given all the feedback I got from all those on this thread. I read it was a difficult task somewhere, but I wanted to confirm.

Much appreciated!
Mazen
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 03:12:59 am by Markham »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 04:56:12 am »

If you cannot sell it then I suppose it has to go with you or be thrown out unless you feel like giving it away (school perhaps?) and getting a small tax break.

If you are shipping other household things then I'd suggest putting it all on a pallette.  This should mean it won't get thrown around.  Tape everything inside securely.  Do NOT remove ink, and wrap it all in plastic so that if any ink does leak out it won't get on anything else.

Conner999

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 08:22:47 am »

Shipping a printer with ink carts installed is an assured horror story.  People have issues just moving them down flights of stairs.

Sadly printers are really 'install once and never move unless on rollers to keep level'. If the carts are removed and all secured, you can carefully transport by car, etc., if you sell it, but by air...

Maybe try a raffle among the photo community if selling it is not viable due to current economic crisis? Small amount per ticket, winner gets the printer and you use the money (and saved shipping costs) towards a new one in Canada. 

Good luck and welcome (soon) to Canada.
Pages: [1]   Go Up