Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which to use beside Flickr Pro  (Read 1241 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Which to use beside Flickr Pro
« on: October 26, 2020, 05:14:07 pm »

I use Flickr Pro at $60 per year.  I only have 600 pictures or so maybe going up slightly let's say a couple of hundred.  What other options are there?

jimh

• Jim H Photo
Re: Which to use beside Flickr Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:28:51 pm »

Flickr is now owned by SmugMug.  Are they offering users any discount to move upstairs?

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 01:49:56 pm »

Do you link to photos hosted on Flickr? Do you want to spend a bunch of time on this or something else?
Do you like Flickr as a platform or use their forums & social groups?

Yes, there are other platforms, but there's a trade off.  $5/month is a pretty basic rate, and honestly I'd be worried about the longevity of a platform that charges less.  At some point you'll be the product, not the customer.
t: @PNWMF

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 02:03:28 pm »

Do you link to photos hosted on Flickr? Do you want to spend a bunch of time on this or something else?
Do you like Flickr as a platform or use their forums & social groups?

Yes, there are other platforms, but there's a trade off.  $5/month is a pretty basic rate, and honestly I'd be worried about the longevity of a platform that charges less.  At some point you'll be the product, not the customer.
Yes I do link to their photos. Does that mean if I drop them, all my photos on other sites will disappear???

I am on some forums there that I follow.

I'm not doing this professionally.  I think their site is OK.  I've laid out my photos in reasonable groups for display.  Check my link below and tell me what you think about the layout.  Easy to follow and check?

Anyway. thanks Jim for your input.  I guess I'll stay with them. 

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 10:30:03 pm »

Yes I do link to their photos. Does that mean if I drop them, all my photos on other sites will disappear???

Yep, that's the biggest thing - by moving somewhere else, everything you've posted disappears since it'll be at a new URL.

If you embedded the image itself it will be there, but that means the website hosting it is paying to store it. If you embed the URL, the image stays on your site, and the website only has a line of text telling your browser where to find it.

Check out https://medium.com/@AxelUnlimited/how-photobucket-broke-the-internet-and-why-you-should-care-4a244bda6b7e on how PhotoBucket broke so much by changing their image hosting policy. Some howto forums lost out big since everything they hosted tied back to photos under accounts they didn't have control over, so it was all broken links.
t: @PNWMF

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 06:43:38 am »

Not hugely familiar with Flickr, but it looks like you are not exceeding the 1000 photo limit of a free account so the question is what else in the Pro account that you are using that is worth $60/year.  If you can live without those, you can go back to the free service so you won't break your links elsewhere.  Then look for alternatives.  For example, I pay annual fee of $30 for Basic Plus service of Zenfolio with a limit of 32 GB (which goes up nicely every year by a few GBs) which is plenty for me.  The benefit is you can customize the website however you like (within their platform.) 

:Niranjan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up