Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about selling second Medium Format equipment  (Read 1697 times)

garytimms

• http://www.illumiere.co.uk
Question about selling second Medium Format equipment
« on: October 24, 2020, 06:05:01 am »

I haven't been on this forum for many years and I am pleased to see it is still active.

If I have put this in the wrong thread then I apologise.. and if it can be moved to the correct place I would be grateful.

A simple question I will be shedding all my MF equipment and wondered if anyone has a recommendation for where to sell it?..
Is Ebay the right place..? or is there another MF specific auction type place..
I'm not trying to advertise.. as I still have to research prices etc.. Just asking.

Thank you.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Question about selling second Medium Format equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:07:47 am »

There's Craig's List, KEH, Audorama, B&H, any number of ways. For a pricing guide, you can go to eBay and check sold listings to see what the range is. Completed listings will also clue you in to items that have been listed but not sold or to see how long you may need to wait for an offer or even lower the price if something is lingering...

There's also a couple of large format and medium format sites on the web along with an analog film users' group that may also be a place. Seem to me even Lula has a section for listing your goodies.

Good luck but be patient!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 07:25:49 pm »

FWIW, I have bought and sold a lot of medium format gear from and to all over the world.
Ebay is by far the best place to buy and sell anything.
It has by far the biggest reach if you are prepared to post anywhere.
If you only sell to states you have been to then you won't get the best price.

Whatever you do my tip is to sell each item individually.
As they say in "Pretty Woman", the parts are worth more than the whole.

If someone wants a lens they don't necessarily want a whole kit.
If you want to sell a lens before the body then just price accordingly.
Good luck.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 11:20:15 am »

This web site’s “For Sale” page is good.  Also for web based sales I’d suggest:  GetDPI, Fred Miranda, PhotoPXL.   All have “for sale” pages.   

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 04:30:06 am »

Also Photrio, formerly APUG and DPUG. Good ads there. Personally, I would never buy quality MF gear from Ebay. Only if found nowhere else, and it was badly needed.
Geoff

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 06:54:49 pm »

Also Photrio, formerly APUG and DPUG. Good ads there. Personally, I would never buy quality MF gear from Ebay. Only if found nowhere else, and it was badly needed.
Ebay gives a money back guarantee.
Each their own but I have bought a Hasselblad H1 body, H2, 2 x H3D, H4D, X1D (new demo from a dealer), and at least a dozen HC and XCD lenses on ebay. Many of the sellers are camera shops or dealers anyway. All of the H series cameras were sold on ebay again. I have also bought and sold Linhof, Mamiya and Cambo.
Your market is over 180 million people. What else has that reach?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 11:08:06 pm »

Another vote for LL and ebay.

Cheers,
Bernard

garytimms

• http://www.illumiere.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 04:41:51 am »

Thank you for you opinions and advice

I have started to put a few bits on Ebay due to my selling limits it will take a few months to list, I will see how I get on.

I am based in the UK so a lot of the resellers options don't apply to me I have to see if I can reach a global audience via Ebay.

Thank you again.

pemihan

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 01:41:36 pm »

I have sold and bought a lot here on LL and on GetDPI with no problems at all. Well I had a gentleman from South Korea who bought a lens off me and claimed it was faulty. I just told him to ship it back no question asked and gave him a full refund. I got the lens back and it was fine and I sold it again with no issues.

eBay on the other hand! I started selling some items there and it went fine but then a buyer claimed something was faulty and I accepted return for a full refund. The buyer didn't react until 20 days later after eBay had closed the case in my favor. He got it reopened somehow and from then on it was a nightmare. I had endless discussions with their "customer service" until they simply didn't respond. Based on that I can NOT recommend eBay as a selling platform at all.

So my vote is on LL and GetDPI. Just do your due diligence if it's a new member.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 05:35:45 pm by pemihan »

BrandonSi

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 02:01:26 pm »

As others have mentioned, I would sell on eBay as a last resort and for very difficult items to sell.

For example, I've sold numerous Leica M bodies, a few Hasselblad X1D bodies, and Cambo Actus, all without resorting to eBay. The only item I've had to sell recently on eBay was a Schnedier 35XL in Cambo mount. That was just a very niche market for that lens and it needed the wide audience eBay could provide to sell (and even then it took 2-3 months). It also cost me a $170 final value fee...

I would suggest where possible to list your items on forums such as those already mentioned, and then give it a month or so. Whatever hasn't sold then put those items on eBay.

You're far more likely to run into a scam or seller issue on eBay as opposed to a fellow photographer who has an established reputation on one of those forums. Save eBay for those really hard-to-sell items.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 10:29:01 pm »

As others have mentioned, I would sell on eBay as a last resort and for very difficult items to sell.
It depends what "difficult to sell" means.
I have sold Cambo parts here on LuLa also.
If people want that then they will probably come here.
One thing eBay does do is actually encourage you to sell it. You have to have the basics to list it. Photos, prices, makes, models etc.
Have look through some of the ads here on LuLa.
Some of them will never sell.
They don't give basics like prices, or where they are, even when asked. That rings alarm bells for me.
At least on ebay you have to be verified over $1000 and you can look at their feedback on previous sales. Pseudonyms have to link to a real name.
Fees are an issue at about 12%. If you sell art in a gallery you will probably pay 30% or more though.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 06:20:30 am »

The great thing about eBay here in the UK is that I regularly get offers to list items with maximum selling fees of £1. I simply prepare my ads and wait for the offer to appear before listing.  I've sold plenty of equipment without any problem. I've also sold here on LuLa without problem. Successful buying and selling relies on using common sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up