Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two waterfalls from Assynt, NW Scotland with 2 new images  (Read 589 times)

KMRennie

Two waterfalls from Assynt, NW Scotland with 2 new images
« on: October 22, 2020, 06:29:58 pm »

Wailing Widow Falls, the usual cheerful Scottish name, and Clashnessie Falls about 20 miles and 1 hour, by car, apart in North West Scotland. They are both approx 50ft high and on my visit had lots of water flowing. The Wailing Widow Falls had me perched on a rock mid stream with my tripod stretched across the burn.  Not particularly dangerous, just a chance of getting very wet. The Wailing Widow shot is focus stacked and bracketed. Clashnessie had too much water to even attempt getting into any tricky mid-stream positions and this is a simple single shot image from a distance. I did climb up to the top and saw a Peregrine Falcon hunting. My wife was lucky enough to see it catching it's prey, I just watched it gliding and hovering on the breeze rising from cliff face before returning to the car for an evening meeting with a deer. I have included another 2 images from Wailing Widow falls one taken from high up on the canyon walls a 3 shot focus stack and the other a simple 1 shot minimal processing shot. The two new images, taken when the sun disappeared behind the usual Scottish gloom, were much easier to take, apart from clambering up the steep sides in Wellies Ken
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 09:56:15 am by KMRennie »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Two waterfalls from Assynt, NW Scotland
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 03:57:14 am »

I prefer the second, Ken. The first has a slightly artificial look about it.

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 04:01:26 am »

#1 is fantastic, only dinosaurs are missing. sort of a Lost World feel to it.

KMRennie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 09:45:54 am »

Jeremy
I tried hard to remove that look Jeremy. The sky was shot 5 1/3 stops darker than the canyon floor and then the sky was darkened and the valley lifted so the dynamic range is extreme. I am happy with it but I hope to return if Covid allows and shoot it in the afternoon/ evening when the light may be illuminating the canyon and not producing the very bright sky. Ken

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Two waterfalls from Assynt, NW Scotland with 2 new images
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 11:36:59 am »

Wailing Widow Falls, the usual cheerful Scottish name, and Clashnessie Falls about 20 miles and 1 hour, by car, apart in North West Scotland. They are both approx 50ft high and on my visit had lots of water flowing. The Wailing Widow Falls had me perched on a rock mid stream with my tripod stretched across the burn.  Not particularly dangerous, just a chance of getting very wet. The Wailing Widow shot is focus stacked and bracketed. Clashnessie had too much water to even attempt getting into any tricky mid-stream positions and this is a simple single shot image from a distance. I did climb up to the top and saw a Peregrine Falcon hunting. My wife was lucky enough to see it catching it's prey, I just watched it gliding and hovering on the breeze rising from cliff face before returning to the car for an evening meeting with a deer. I have included another 2 images from Wailing Widow falls one taken from high up on the canyon walls a 3 shot focus stack and the other a simple 1 shot minimal processing shot. The two new images, taken when the sun disappeared behind the usual Scottish gloom, were much easier to take, apart from clambering up the steep sides in Wellies Ken

I particularly like the first one because the water looks real. The others, if I may say so, have the "cotton water" look that I associate with postcards and calendars. I have never seen water actually look like that!

bobfriedman

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 11:59:34 am »

excellent set with the first one at the top of the list!.. #1 is quite impressive from my perspective.
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 12:20:40 pm »

#1 is a technical and artistic masterpiece IMHO. No "Great Masters" painter could do better.
The "Jurassic Park" comment is apt - the image appears steeped in myth.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 12:56:07 pm »

Jeremy

+1 Too HDR look to my eyes.

Thierry

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 01:41:10 pm »

I love the water in #1 - just the right amount of blur and crispness. The image as a whole does look slightly off and I understand the bright sky issue and how trying to compensate for that can affect the whole thing. But still a fine image, but I agree returning for better conditions could help create a finer one.

The water is a bit too smooth in the later ones, IMO. But overall they are all generally pretty nice.
-MattB

Cornfield

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 07:24:05 pm »

The first image is absolutely fantastic.  This could be the best Scottish landscape shot I have seen in years.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 08:11:07 pm »

I had mixed feelings but the first started to grow on me. Technical and composition is great, the problem is that the light I guess wasn't ideal and you had to compensate for it which led to a slightly off feeling. But as I said, I'm getting used to it.

guido

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 10:06:47 am »

Lovely images Ken!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 10:12:05 am »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 06:16:18 pm »

These are quite nice. Well worth the effort.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »

All are quite nice, but the flow of water in No. 1 seems about perfect, IMO! However, I still like the silky, flowing water in the other three, too! :-) Well done!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up