Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Original NIK Silver Efex Pro vs DXO Silver Efex Pro 2  (Read 2270 times)

ymc226

Original NIK Silver Efex Pro vs DXO Silver Efex Pro 2
« on: October 19, 2020, 02:31:08 pm »

I have the original NIK Collection which I paid for prior to the free Google version.  Are there any worthy improvements in the most recent DXO version that would warrant re-purchase?  I will be working with both M9M and M10M files.

NAwlins_Contrarian

Re: Original NIK Silver Efex Pro vs DXO Silver Efex Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 12:41:34 pm »

The current version is actually DxO Nik Silver Efex 3, not 2. AFAIK, this is the progression:
* last independent-Nik version to free Google version of Nik tools: no changes;
* free Google version of Nik tools to DxO Nik version 1: bug fixes and updates to work with latest operating systems and editing software;
* DxO Nik version 1 to DxO Nik version 2: additional presets and maybe expanded controls; and
* DxO Nik version 2 to DxO Nik version 3: tighter integration with certain other software, including some ability to work semi-non-destructively with Lightroom and Photoshop.

I had the free Google version and I've bought DxO Nik versions 1 and 3; I did not buy DxO Nik version 2.

Whether there are improvements between the last independent-Nik version and DxO Nik version 3 that are sufficiently worthy to you to warrant re-purchase is something only you can decide. Obviously my judgment has been that there are, but that judgment has been affected by both my desire to see DxO do reasonably well financially and my desire to see at least some continued development mainly (like you, I guess) to Silver Efex but also to some of the other tools.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 03:13:24 pm »

Nik version 3 on sale for $99. I paid $149 last week  :(

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:13:40 am »

Nik version 3 on sale for $99. I paid $149 last week  :(

Looks like I got in at the right time for version 3.  Seems that DXO has recently ramped up the price.  In late Sept. I purchased the DXO NIK Collection Version 3.0.8 for $60.00 US = $82.20 CDN.  As mentioned above, apparantly the new SALE price is $99.00 US = $139.80 CDN.

Just the luck of the draw I suppose.  :)     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up