Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Matte is Eco Shield's finish?  (Read 448 times)

mfrohman

How Matte is Eco Shield's finish?
« on: October 15, 2020, 05:15:51 pm »

Hello All,

I'm testing out a new canvas print idea and want a very matte finish. They are not photographic images but fine art - think geometric color abstracts. I've tested out Breathing Colors' Crystalline canvas which doesn't need to be coated but it was too shiny and reflective for my taste. The surface also looked splotchy when viewing at an angle. I also tried Epson Natural Satin for the same reason - it wasn't splotchy but still too shiny and reflective.

I like the look of the true matte canvases like Epson Exhibition Matte but it seems like I would need to coat it for protection.

First question - these won't be stretched on frames, I have a different hanging system for unstretched canvas that hangs on the wall, more like a tapestry. Other than vulnerability to being scuffed from handling, what is the realistic time frame that an uncoated matte canvas will start to show degradation from the elements if hanging on a wall in a house? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years?

Second question - I'm looking at Eco print shield as a possible coating as many on this board seem to like it and low-toxic is best for my production situation. The instructions say to do 2 coats of glossy and a topcoat of Matte if you want a matte finish. Has anyone done this and how Matte is the final finish compared to the uncoated matte canvas? Does it pick up more reflection? Does it look plasticy like the canvases I mentioned above?

Also, has anyone tried any alternative coating ideas for a matte finish such as a traditional painter's acrylic matte medium?

I'm going to do some experiments but if anyone has ideas to share that would save me time and money!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Mark
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

mearussi

Re: How Matte is Eco Shield's finish?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 09:13:51 pm »

Hello All,

I'm testing out a new canvas print idea and want a very matte finish. They are not photographic images but fine art - think geometric color abstracts. I've tested out Breathing Colors' Crystalline canvas which doesn't need to be coated but it was too shiny and reflective for my taste. The surface also looked splotchy when viewing at an angle. I also tried Epson Natural Satin for the same reason - it wasn't splotchy but still too shiny and reflective.

I like the look of the true matte canvases like Epson Exhibition Matte but it seems like I would need to coat it for protection.

First question - these won't be stretched on frames, I have a different hanging system for unstretched canvas that hangs on the wall, more like a tapestry. Other than vulnerability to being scuffed from handling, what is the realistic time frame that an uncoated matte canvas will start to show degradation from the elements if hanging on a wall in a house? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years?

Second question - I'm looking at Eco print shield as a possible coating as many on this board seem to like it and low-toxic is best for my production situation. The instructions say to do 2 coats of glossy and a topcoat of Matte if you want a matte finish. Has anyone done this and how Matte is the final finish compared to the uncoated matte canvas? Does it pick up more reflection? Does it look plasticy like the canvases I mentioned above?

Also, has anyone tried any alternative coating ideas for a matte finish such as a traditional painter's acrylic matte medium?

I'm going to do some experiments but if anyone has ideas to share that would save me time and money!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Mark
How fast it will degrade depends on the lighting situation, i.e. if there's little light it could last for decades but if there's any sunlight depending on the intensity it could fade in a few years. An overcoating will help with some the lighting is far more important.
Eco Print Shield is what I use and the best way to apply it is using two or three very thin coatings.

ASAIK all matte coatings are matte because of added very small mica particles which work very well so it's easy to apply too much. I would suggest you experiment with various mixtures of glossy and matte varnish to find out just how matte of a look you really want. 

mfrohman

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 07:56:37 pm »

I tested out some eco shield today, applying 2 coats of glossy and 1 coat of matte at the end. I think it looks pretty good and was easy to apply. I'm going to experiment a little more with the glossy / matte combinations to get it as 'sheenless' as possible but so far it's much less glossy and plasticy than the no-lam canvases I've tried by BC and Epson.

One issue I did have though is it seems to have altered the color on the canvas in some areas - almost like it bleached the color off. A yellowish-cream color turned almost white in some areas an orange color turned almost pink. It's uneven as well so it only happened on part of the print. I'm using epson natural matte canvas.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:12:11 pm »

I tested out some eco shield today, applying 2 coats of glossy and 1 coat of matte at the end. I think it looks pretty good and was easy to apply. I'm going to experiment a little more with the glossy / matte combinations to get it as 'sheenless' as possible but so far it's much less glossy and plasticy than the no-lam canvases I've tried by BC and Epson.

One issue I did have though is it seems to have altered the color on the canvas in some areas - almost like it bleached the color off. A yellowish-cream color turned almost white in some areas an orange color turned almost pink. It's uneven as well so it only happened on part of the print. I'm using epson natural matte canvas.

Has anyone had a similar issue?
Of course, it's achieving the matte look by diffusing and scattering the light, with color desaturation being a byproduct. You can't escape it. That's why I opted for a super fine canvas weave and glossy only coating, I get full color saturation without the horrible speckled look of coarse textured canvas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up