Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image printing larger than expected  (Read 771 times)

mshea

Image printing larger than expected
« on: October 14, 2020, 09:46:42 am »

Yesterday I printed what was supposed to be a 15 X 38 image on 17 X 40 paper. Preparing to frame it, I realized that it had printed a 15 X 39 image and the paper length was 41". I checked all the settings (image size, paper margins set to 0, etc.) and I have no clue how this could have happened. I normally export from LR and print in PS, P800 using roll paper. Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Thanks,
Merrill

mearussi

Re: Image printing larger than expected
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »

Yesterday I printed what was supposed to be a 15 X 38 image on 17 X 40 paper. Preparing to frame it, I realized that it had printed a 15 X 39 image and the paper length was 41". I checked all the settings (image size, paper margins set to 0, etc.) and I have no clue how this could have happened. I normally export from LR and print in PS, P800 using roll paper. Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Thanks,
Merrill

Did you inadvertently have the Scale to fit media checked?

mshea

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 01:07:37 pm »

Good suggestion, but I had made sure that was unchecked as well.  :(

Binartem

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:03:46 pm »

Check in the driver and make sure "Reduce/Enlarge" is not checked.  Unfortunately, Epson drivers kinda rope you right into that pothole: if you select anything other than "Same as Paper Size" for the output paper, you end up with scaling.  For example, if you select 13x19 as your paper size, users are tempted to also select 13x19 as the output size/paper which will scale your prints: choose "Same as Paper Size" instead.  Anyway, that's my guess.  :)
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

mshea

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 03:04:09 pm »

At this point, I keep getting an alert saying the settings in the printer don't match the driver settings, so nothing will print. I was on the phone with Epson for close to an hour, sending along screen shots, etc., and the technician was totally stumped. He sent it up the line and I'm still waiting for an answer. Frustration!

Merrill

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 03:16:45 pm »

Are your user defined borders set to 0? Try it in Lightroom and be sure to check zoom to fill and see what happens.
One issue I have with my 9900 is when I set up a new custom paper size  and for some reason it is not sticky. In other words it prints on the last set paper size and not the new one I just put in.
Have not figured that one out yet. I have a P800 as well but all my printing is through Lightroom.

Binartem

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 10:16:01 am »

At this point, I keep getting an alert saying the settings in the printer don't match the driver settings, so nothing will print. I was on the phone with Epson for close to an hour, sending along screen shots, etc., and the technician was totally stumped. He sent it up the line and I'm still waiting for an answer. Frustration!

Merrill

That usually comes down to the printer thinking you have a different width media than what the driver is specifying.  You'd get that error, for example, if you mistakenly put 11x17 sheets in the printer and told the driver the size is 13x19.  Since you are printing on a roll, maybe start over, reload the roll paper making sure to follow the printer's instructions for proper loading of roll media, and then make sure the proper roll width is selected in the driver (again without any reduce/enlarge scaling in the driver).
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 11:26:40 am »

That usually comes down to the printer thinking you have a different width media than what the driver is specifying.  You'd get that error, for example, if you mistakenly put 11x17 sheets in the printer and told the driver the size is 13x19.  Since you are printing on a roll, maybe start over, reload the roll paper making sure to follow the printer's instructions for proper loading of roll media, and then make sure the proper roll width is selected in the driver (again without any reduce/enlarge scaling in the driver).

Good to see you here, Mike.

ken

mshea

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 11:44:34 am »

Yes, done all that and more many times over, both by myself and with the Epson guy.

Binartem

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 10:18:46 pm »

Not sure what to advise unless the paper type you are using doesn't support that width... or maybe doesn't support borderless if you are using borderless.  From what I remember, there's a setting in the menu on the printer where you can turn off "paper size check".  Don't know if that would work but it might IF that's what it is complaining about.  That setting is on the printer itself: click the tool button and then it's under some obscure option like System Administration, Printer Settings.
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

mshea

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 02:32:12 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Waiting on the phone while the senior support staffer looked up further info, I tried printing a different, slightly smaller 15 X 33 image on 17 X 35 paper, and it printed just fine. Checking further, I realized that the paper setting was 40 X 17 for the problem print, instead of 17 X 40. Changing the setting to 17 X 40 (for the 15 X 38 image) solved the problem. I'd never had problems with reversing the paper size numbers before; and in fact, the 40 X 17 did print out once, albeit with a 15 X 39 image instead of 15 X 38.

An interesting side note, the tech asked if my printer was close to a window. It seems that there are occasional problems with window light interfering with the printer functioning correctly.

mearussi

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 08:48:11 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Waiting on the phone while the senior support staffer looked up further info, I tried printing a different, slightly smaller 15 X 33 image on 17 X 35 paper, and it printed just fine. Checking further, I realized that the paper setting was 40 X 17 for the problem print, instead of 17 X 40. Changing the setting to 17 X 40 (for the 15 X 38 image) solved the problem. I'd never had problems with reversing the paper size numbers before; and in fact, the 40 X 17 did print out once, albeit with a 15 X 39 image instead of 15 X 38.

An interesting side note, the tech asked if my printer was close to a window. It seems that there are occasional problems with window light interfering with the printer functioning correctly.
Daylight interfering with the light from the sizing sensor probably.
Pages: [1]   Go Up