Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro 4000 - white edges around black letters  (Read 516 times)

MT

Canon Pro 4000 - white edges around black letters
« on: October 13, 2020, 05:40:34 am »

Hi,
I'm looking for all possible insight to solve one very annoying issue.
For over a year now, I was printing photography and artworks in my studio for photographers and artists alike, for their private sell or gallery exhibitions.

Last week I had a different request, friend asked for a print of diplomas since his other print studio (offset print) screwed something with delivery and they didn't meet the timeline and he needed finished products ASAP.

I print photo and art, never had any text (other than some watermarks) - and I was stumbled by the inability to print those diplomas right.

I attach the original file, photo colors, contrast - everything was perfect.
But black letters - random white edges appeared, printing 5 A4 diplomas on 42-inch roll those were not appearing the same on each image - some had more some had less of white around the edges.

It drove me crazy, we made nozzle check (perfect) but cleaned it anyway. Print head alignment: first auto standard, second auto fine, and then manual, with extremely meticulous analysis for selecting values. Feed adjustment for quality.

None of those solved issue, maybe helped a bit, but I still could see those white edges around the black text.

I tried to blame the source file, but I made a "test" in photoshop, blue gradient background with black letters on top of it - and the same thing happened.

In the end, importing source pdf into PS with CMYK color range allowed to print with very minimal issue, and I was able to select the required amount of prints that had no visible issue.

I'm devasted, so many hours went into so small thing, and I didn't came out knowing anything better.

Any photography or artwork has no issues with lines, edges contrast sharpness, or whatever...

Printing on Canon Photo Pro Matte, Canon Fine Art Smooth, Canson Baryta Prestige, Canon Superior Fine Art Textured...

unesco

Re: Canon Pro 4000 - white edges around black letters
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 08:14:13 am »

Please attach example of your bad and good print, if any

MT

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:22:19 am »

Please attach example of your bad and good print, if any

My mistake, I thought that I did

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 10:38:25 am »

I printed the pdf on my PRO-4000 and cheap luster paper I use for tests.
I used PS (latest) and my custom profile for the paper.
It looks very fine to the naked eye. No white around the letters.
I attach a photograph of the print.

unesco

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 01:14:49 pm »

Do you see it on other images?

It MIGHT be so called "print head slant" issue, when the head (line of nozzles) is not ideally perpendicular to head movement direction and has micro twist. I had this issue twice with 17 inch Epsons visible on sharp boarders between two colors (some examples attached).

Try another print with other pattern. Calibration test patch sheet would be the best and look at the borders between colors. If it appears you must recalibrate your had placement - if such an option is available in your printer (I am Epson guy, in Epsons, pro support was needed to tune it mechanically).

MT

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 02:10:19 pm »

Do you see it on other images?

It MIGHT be so called "print head slant" issue, when the head (line of nozzles) is not ideally perpendicular to head movement direction and has micro twist. I had this issue twice with 17 inch Epsons visible on sharp boarders between two colors (some examples attached).

Try another print with other pattern. Calibration test patch sheet would be the best and look at the borders between colors. If it appears you must recalibrate your had placement - if such an option is available in your printer (I am Epson guy, in Epsons, pro support was needed to tune it mechanically).

That’s the biggest issue - everything else prints perfect. Only when I have black text over colorful background this white “edges” appear.

MT

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 02:11:08 pm »

I printed the pdf on my PRO-4000 and cheap luster paper I use for tests.
I used PS (latest) and my custom profile for the paper.
It looks very fine to the naked eye. No white around the letters.
I attach a photograph of the print.

Thank you for your input - so it’s clear it’s my printer / software, not file issue. I will try on some shiny paper, I had issues on mat

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 02:44:55 pm »

Thank you for your input - so it’s clear it’s my printer / software, not file issue. I will try on some shiny paper, I had issues on mat

What software and driver settings are you using?

MT

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 03:14:52 pm »

What software and driver settings are you using?

Newest Mac OS and Win10, adobe CC, that app from canon for printing (launched as plugin from Adobe), profiles are custom made, amix profiles are from canon

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 03:30:45 pm »

that app from canon for printing (launched as plugin from Adobe)

Is the "Contrast Reproduction" checked in the PSP plugin? If it is disable it because it is an output sharpening routine and may cause the white "lines" in the edges.

MT

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 03:35:03 pm »

Is the "Contrast Reproduction" checked in the PSP plugin? If it is disable it because it is an output sharpening routine and may cause the white "lines" in the edges.

Interesting, I always print with that selected (for papers that allow it). I will check it without that option

MT

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 09:16:09 am »

Well after some more testing, issue doesn't occur on photo papers (satin, lustre, gloss finishes)  ::)

Pages: [1]   Go Up