Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to update firmware on Epson P7570  (Read 1840 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Unable to update firmware on Epson P7570
« on: October 12, 2020, 12:36:00 pm »

When I try to update the firmware on my P7570 the install software asks for a password, which I do not remember creating. Epson support says that they do not have passwords on their printers, so the password must be a network password. They suggest I get in touch IT. I'm the IT person in this one man shop. Any suggestion on solving this issue? Reinstall the printer? I've tried every combo of password I used in the past 20 years.

rasworth

Re: Unable to update firmware on Epson P7570
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 12:53:39 pm »

You've probably already tried, the user password for the host system?  Does the user presently logged on have administrator privileges?  Also if you attach via USB it may not ask.

Richard Southworth

rasworth

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 01:08:24 pm »

The user manual and administrator manual downloadable from the Epson website, have information wrt setting a printer access password.  Have you tried accessing the printer's built-in web portal?

Richard Southworth

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 01:17:04 pm »

The more I look at it I think it is a printer password, not network. There is a password on the printer, despite what the Epson tech said. On the printer it's under general setting > system administration > security settings > admin settings > admin password. When I try to change that I get asked for the existing password, which I don't have, so I'm stuck.
I find the Epson techs very unhelpful so far, not interested in problem solving. Their answer is to send a tech on my dollar.

I will try to the web portal, thanks.

rasworth

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:52:04 pm »

Here's the administrator's manual, with info on changing the password via the web interface:  https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd56275.pdf

Also consider calling IT Supplies, they're generally very helpful on printer problems, post here regularly.

Richard Southworth

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 04:15:06 pm »

Thanks Richard,
Unfortunately I need the existing pwd to change it.
IT Supplies is a good idea, I didn't buy my printer through them, but I have purchased all my ink there.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 01:10:23 pm »

Just as a follow up, I reset the printer to factory settings, and I was then able to update the firmware.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 02:08:24 pm »

Just as a follow up, I reset the printer to factory settings, and I was then able to update the firmware.

As a matter of curiosity (I have a 7500), what did you gain from the updated firmware? Are the details posted somewhere?

Jeremy

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 02:22:31 pm »

what did you gain from the updated firmware?
I haven't seen a description of changes made with the new firmware, but after following the epic troubles that Rand and others experienced with early firmware versions on this printer, I'm staying up to date to get what I hope are refinements, and possibly new features.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 02:54:34 pm »

As a matter of curiosity (I have a 7500), what did you gain from the updated firmware? Are the details posted somewhere?
Let's just say, if you're having no issues with the printer, might consider not updating firmware. Sometimes you can do more 'harm' than good. Like not being able, as one example, for some printers, to use 3rd party inks. If it ain't broken.....
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 05:25:02 pm »

I tend rather more towards your view, Andrew: if it ain't broke... I updated firmware on an HP LaserJet a few years ago. Damn thing has never been the same.

But I'd still be interested to see some sort of data sheet explaining what issues the new firmware is supposed to address.

Jeremy

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 12:00:21 pm »

Let's just say, if you're having no issues with the printer, might consider not updating firmware. Sometimes you can do more 'harm' than good. Like not being able, as one example, for some printers, to use 3rd party inks. If it ain't broken.....

In general, I completely agree with the IIABDFI position.   With regard to the P 75xx/95xx there's good reason to keep current with driver, firmware and the Epson Media Installer software (EMI).  Epson are continuing to fix bugs in all three. And, while we're accustomed to firmware/driver interdependence, with these new printers you must "add in" the EMI as a third integral part of having it work properly.

More than any new Epson I've owned, this new series was plagued with serious teething issues.  They're all pretty much sorted out, but there are a few small weirdities still being addressed.

All in all it's now the best Epson I've owned now that it is mostly sorted out.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Richh

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 01:45:08 am »

Just yesterday, Epson US posted new firmware and other software for the 7570/9570, so it is already time to update again. Not sure what changes and what might be fixed or added but it is now available.

Mick Sang

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 11:03:55 pm »

All in all it's now the best Epson I've owned now that it is mostly sorted out.

That may be true where Windows computers are concerned. But, it is not true with respect to the MAC - not at our studio, in any case. The use of Epson Media Installer corrupts the driver to the point where the printer must be deleted and the driver reinstalled, every time, without fail. There have been and are other issues. But, they are relatively minor headaches which are nevertheless unique to this printer. The problems we have experienced with our 9570 are common to those which have been experienced by other members here as well.

Eventually, we factory reset the printer, deleted the printer from the MAC, reinstalled the driver and a fresh version of EMI (v.1.1.4) and re-uploaded all Epson and custom media. After that, everything operated as expected and as it should for a couple of weeks. During Covid, our workload has been 1/10th the usual. So, when I say the printer had been working as expected, it was only used perhaps 20 times during that 2 week period as we have 4 other printers to keep running.

EMI still corrupted the driver whenever it was used. But, we had uploaded all the media we needed and hoped to not need EMI for a while.  Then, suddenly one day the printer no longer "saw" our custom media. But, it continued to "see" Epson Media which is strange because, as I mentioned, when the printer was reset and EMI was reinstalled, all media types (Epson and custom) were re-added during the same session.

So, now here we are again having to reset and reinstall while wondering if this will be an on-going solution to a repetitive issue for which Epson tech support has been absolutely of no help whatsoever.

If anything good can be found with respect to the Covid plague, it may be that the time it has provided will allow us to eventually discover what is actually ailing this system. Personally, I am still impressed with the printer. When it prints properly, the quality of prints that it is capable of printing is extraordinary. It is primarily Epson software which is the problem. We just need to get the glitches out for good. Let us pray....

Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up