Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S lens  (Read 1367 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S lens
« on: October 11, 2020, 02:35:32 pm »

After a long wait my copy of the new Nikkor-Z S 70-200mm f/2.8 finally showed up. Here is a quick iPhone photo of it. It has a Kirk Enterprise tripod foot on it that gives me Arca-Swiss coupling.

And here is a short stack of images and a single image. So, far… looks very good. Quite the lens.

I wondered if it is as good a lens as all the hype. Looks to be that good. Better than I expected and I expect a lot.

More to follow…

I include a stacked image and a cropped single image (NEF) focused on the tip of the near flower. VERY sharp.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S lens
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 05:32:58 am »

Hi Michael,

It means a lot coming from you.

I have been shooting with the S for a few weeks and it is indeed truly excellent.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 09:11:27 am »

Hi Michael,

It means a lot coming from you.

I have been shooting with the S for a few weeks and it is indeed truly excellent.

Cheers,
Bernard

I feel that every photographer needs to get their hands on this lens and see what it does for their work. Looking over the various sample galleries here and there on the web, the quality of the sample photos are, IMO, very poor, which is why we each have to see for ourselves how it would affect our work.

In my case, I believe I can use this new lens very handily. To me, this lens has the quality of a prime lens. In fact, if the lens reminds me of any other, it has the quality (to a marked degree) of the NOCT 0.95 S lens. Of course, it handles the same way. And it has a similar (or perhaps even better) sharpness than the NOCT  0.95mm. Of course, it does not have the focus throw or wide aperture. I have had most of the Nikon 70-200mm zoom lenses over the years.  I just sold my 70-200mm FL version, which is a very good lens, because (again, IMO) the FL does not stand up to this new S-model of the 70-200mm f/2.8.

I am surprised and even a little shocked at the quality of this lens for the price. It seems worth every penny and I believe will become a classic lens almost immediately,
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:05:21 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 10:01:36 pm »

Yes, most S lenses are totally outstanding but this one is of legendary nature.

Nikon did manage to further improve the quality at the most used distances with only a tiny drop at infinity that most people will never notice.

I love my Sony a9II for what it does AF wise, but the S lenses are just so much better than I keep going back to my Z7.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 09:06:49 am »

I continue to me amazed at the IQ of the new Nikkor 70-200mm S for the Z cameras. It is incredible.

Here is just a single shot, not stacked, taken with this lens of some Datura inoxia I am raising, with the Z7.  Daylight.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 03:32:55 pm »

I had the chance to spend more time with the 70-200mm f2.8 S.

My copy must be on spec because it’s simply ming boggling.

There is zero fringing and CA. The images through C1 Pro feel like they were captured with a Foveon sensor. Just an incredible rightness and color purity.

No pixel peeping here, it shows clearly on an ipad.

Cheers,
Bernard

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 02:20:58 am »

My feeling as of now, after using the new Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 S, is that this is a very exceptional lens. About the only thing I can add, from my use of the lens, is that this lens has a special IQ or style, whatever a few great lenses have. I find myself really liking the “grab” or way the lens feels, enough so that I look for ways to use this lens just because the result is so pleasing.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 04:54:57 am »

My feeling as of now, after using the new Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 S, is that this is a very exceptional lens. About the only thing I can add, from my use of the lens, is that this lens has a special IQ or style, whatever a few great lenses have. I find myself really liking the “grab” or way the lens feels, enough so that I look for ways to use this lens just because the result is so pleasing.
Like the composition! lens also shows off.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up