Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What 907X can do that X1DII can't?  (Read 3791 times)

EinstStein

What 907X can do that X1DII can't?
« on: October 05, 2020, 10:49:55 pm »

I can think of only two:

1: Using the 38mm Biogon lens.
2: Flip LCD Screen WLF

If X1D III implements flip LCD WLF, the 907X is hard to justify its existence.

thyl

Re: What 907X can do that X1DII can't?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 01:42:39 am »

Both these things are functions not of the 907x, but of the CFV II 50c back. and then we have:

- use V system lenses with their leaf shutter (only electronic shutter on the X1D
- waist level finder feeling, if wanted.
- bellows
- use on cams like Arca Swiss.

EinstStein

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 04:17:11 pm »

Both these things are functions not of the 907x, but of the CFV II 50c back. and then we have:

- use V system lenses with their leaf shutter (only electronic shutter on the X1D
- waist level finder feeling, if wanted.
- bellows
- use on cams like Arca Swiss.

WLF feeling is really what shines on CFVII 50C back. It is really desirable for X1D III and should be easy.
Bellows can be used on X1DIi with the adapter.
Leaf shutter? nay, electronic shutter is better.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 07:49:37 pm »

WLF feeling is really what shines on CFVII 50C back. It is really desirable for X1D III and should be easy.
An electronic shutter is still slow and transforms the image.(if something moves)
Only the sony 9 camera has a decent electronic shutter speed.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

EinstStein

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 11:14:52 pm »

An electronic shutter is still slow and transforms the image.(if something moves)
Only the sony 9 camera has a decent electronic shutter speed.

I don't care Sony at all. I had it before, and very happy I sold them all.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 05:47:52 am »

I don't care Sony at all. I had it before, and very happy I sold them all.
I dont care about Sony either, but i would like a very fast electronic global shutter, that is all.
If you are so keen on pixel level you also should be about deformation of the whole image.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

EinstStein

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 06:15:00 am »

I dont care about Sony either, but i would like a very fast electronic global shutter, that is all.
If you are so keen on pixel level you also should be about deformation of the whole image.

Apparently you have a very special requirement and deserve a different class of camera.
Go ahead enjoy your Sony. 
By the way, tried Sony P&S yet? You might love it!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:21:34 am by EinstStein »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 05:34:21 pm »

I can only assume that you have never used the electronic shutter or that you only shoot landscapes on a tripod in windless situations.
The electronic shutter is a complete waste of time with an effective duration of a third of a second and no flash capability.
I only use it for TSE lenses.

A WLF would be the main advantage of a 907 over and X1D that I can see.
If you need a modular camera that may also be a reason.
The 907 does have the advantage that it can use all three series of lenses, so you might argue that if you had a stack of V series lenses that would be another reason.
I would have argue that if you do have a stack of V series lenses then the best thing to do would be to sell them to other people that like to spend real money on old things and get X series lenses as you do.

Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

EinstStein

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 02:31:05 am »

I can only assume that you have never used the electronic shutter or that you only shoot landscapes on a tripod in windless situations.
The electronic shutter is a complete waste of time with an effective duration of a third of a second and no flash capability.
I only use it for TSE lenses.

A WLF would be the main advantage of a 907 over and X1D that I can see.
If you need a modular camera that may also be a reason.
The 907 does have the advantage that it can use all three series of lenses, so you might argue that if you had a stack of V series lenses that would be another reason.
I would have argue that if you do have a stack of V series lenses then the best thing to do would be to sell them to other people that like to spend real money on old things and get X series lenses as you do.

Wrong assumption.
You still have a lot of to learn.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 04:03:36 am »

E-shutter is not functional in many cases as the scan time is extremely long, around 1/3. So the shutter time may be fast, but exposure duration is very long.

That is OK if there is no subject or camera movement, or if moving objects are small. But anything significant that moves will have a distortion.

Also, electronic flash will not work with electronic shutter.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

EinstStein

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 08:40:18 am »

I was talking about leaf shutter vs. electronic shutter in the context of 907x. Not electronic shutter in general.

I do not have 907x yet, my understand in order to use the leaf shutter, say V lens, you have to have the V camera body. Remove 907X, use only the CVF camera back. If it is through XV adapter, it will be electronic shutter, same as X1DII. So, using leaf shutter has the disadvantage of clumsy camera, void the benefit of  X System.

There is pro and con of either way which there is no need to repeat. In the end it is personal compromise one way or the other, If the situation must use leaf shutter, I would go for the true V back which is also much larger than.  Back.

pschefz

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 01:45:33 pm »

I have both, they are completely different cameras, but provide the same file....i use the X1DII when i shoot at eye level, i use the 907 when i shoot waist level, in general i prefer the 907 now but i am used to shooting that way from film WLF cameras....
They are both very much sony cameras since the sensor is sony...
The electronic shutter is pretty much unusable, the sensor read out time is so slow that it can really only be used for very limited applications....
Leaf shutter has nothing to do with electronic shutter, not sure where you are going with this, we all want global shutter and one day will get there but it is not on anyone’s horizon right now, at least not for high quality capture....there are some sensors out there right now but the bigger the sensor the least likely we will see global shutter soon....so i don’t understand what it has to do with either one of these Hasselblads...

For me the only reason to use V glass would be to use V bodies so the 907/cf50 combo makes more sense, i have no interest to manually focus V glass on the X1DII....if i wanted to use technical cameras, i would obviously use the cf50 back, makes much more sense to me then attaching the X1DII...

On a general note I am not sure why anyone would want to post a question and responds confrontational when presented with reasonable answers?
schefz.com
artloch.com

TechTalk

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 06:24:59 pm »

I can think of only two:

1: Using the 38mm Biogon lens.
2: Flip LCD Screen WLF

From your additional comments it seems that you should be able to answer your own question if you will simply listen to your advice to others...

Wrong assumption.
You still have a lot of to learn.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

KDINDC

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 01:42:55 am »

I'm using the electronic shutter of the CFV 50C with an Arca Swiss 69 and had great results.  Much better than expected.  Admittedly, it will not stop action, but for landscape shooting, it has worked fine.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 05:54:01 pm »

I'm using the electronic shutter of the CFV 50C with an Arca Swiss 69 and had great results.  Much better than expected.  Admittedly, it will not stop action, but for landscape shooting, it has worked fine.
I guess it depends what your expectations are.
Yes, for landscapes on a tripod electronic shutter works fine.
For anything else, not so fine.
Hasselblad goes to the trouble of listing what is not fine in the user guide (from X1D, but I expect the same for 907).

Please note the following limitations with Electronic Shutter:
• The camera will use the Rolling Shutter available
on the sensor which has a read-out time of approximately 300 ms. This will cause distortion of the image if the camera or subject is moving during the exposure. A tripod and a stationary subject is recommended.
• ISO will be limited to 3200.
• Full image quality is not guaranteed.
• Shutter speed range is 68 minutes to 1/10000
sec.
• Flash is disabled.
• Continuous drive is disabled.
• True Exposure is disabled.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

tcdeveau

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 02:50:14 pm »

In my experience with the electronic shutter on the CFVII on a tech cam (and with the X1D handheld), its far more usable than one would think on paper based on the scan time of the sensor.  Yes flash in an issue.  Yes moving subjects can be an issue.

As to OP's question, the 907x (more specifically the CFVII back) can be used on a tech cam without limitation, and can be used with V-system bodies to use the built in shutter of the V-system lenses.  It's a lot more versatile than the X1D in that regard.  Otherwise same sensor, same specs.  The X1D can in some instances be used on a tech cam (with the Alpa HXD adapter, for example) but there are limitations, in particular with wide angle lenses (and SB17 lenses for the Alpa system, which can't reach infinity).

In my experience, I found I prefer the X1D as a handheld camera, and prefer the 907x/CFVII on a tripod (because the ports/memory card slots of the CFVII are more accessible with a L-bracket attached than a X1D with an l-bracket attached).  Those that are used to or prefer a WLF may feel the other way around.  For me, its just personal preference, YMMV.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 01:03:09 am »

Also, you can use the 907x with the Flexbody and Arc cameras to get the advantage of tilts and shifts. These options will give you a lightweight technical camera with more tilt than all other field cameras I know.
Roger
PS I have a Flexbody for sale!
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up