Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000: How switch to other inks?  (Read 1269 times)

philipus

• philipus.com
Canon Pro-1000: How switch to other inks?
« on: October 03, 2020, 07:17:51 am »

I wish to try other inks in my Pro-1000 and wonder which steps I need to take to do that.

I understand (from videos at Precision Color) that this printer has an internal tank that holds ink in addition to the ink lines.

I'm therefore wondering how I can be sure that these internal areas are empty (or as empty as possible) before switching to other inks?

Thank you in advance
Philip

philipus

• philipus.com
Re: Canon Pro-1000: How switch to other inks?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:45:14 am »

Anyone? Is it as simple as just installing the new inks?
Thanks in advance

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:28:13 am »

I'm afraid you can't. You need to add the new inks (supposing thay you've managed to overcome the coded chip system), which will then mingle with the ink in the internal reservoirs. It can then potentially take a very long time to flush out, since there will be mixing in the tank and the proportion of old ink will drop exponentially slowly (ie there will always be some left). So it would be best if the new and old inks ere essentially the same in colour.

Note that some are of the belief that some of the colours have no adequate 3rd party replacements.

Otherwise, you could tell the printer that you are going to move it, and let it empty the tanks into a couple of aste tanks. I'm not sure how complete a job it will do.

Personally, I wouldn't do it: mostly the 3rd party inks have much lower endurance, most have at least subtle colour differences, the chip system is a pita.

philipus

• philipus.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:30:17 am »

Hi Graham and thank you very much for replying. I really appreciate it. I guess I'll just go ahead and plug in the new inks and then over time it will sort itself out.

Perhaps you're referring to the info on Precision Color's website that they advise against third-party inks for the (as I now recall) blue, red and yellow inks? They seem the hardest to replicate.

At the moment I'm thinking of just going back to Canon inks and then later, after another one or two ink swaps, going to Precision Color inks or something else. Hopefully by then any remnants of the current inks (with which I'm not happy) will be gone.

Again thank you, best
Philip

I'm afraid you can't. You need to add the new inks (supposing thay you've managed to overcome the coded chip system), which will then mingle with the ink in the internal reservoirs. It can then potentially take a very long time to flush out, since there will be mixing in the tank and the proportion of old ink will drop exponentially slowly (ie there will always be some left). So it would be best if the new and old inks ere essentially the same in colour.

Note that some are of the belief that some of the colours have no adequate 3rd party replacements.

Otherwise, you could tell the printer that you are going to move it, and let it empty the tanks into a couple of aste tanks. I'm not sure how complete a job it will do.

Personally, I wouldn't do it: mostly the 3rd party inks have much lower endurance, most have at least subtle colour differences, the chip system is a pita.

enduser

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 09:05:25 pm »

There's some talk about how 3rd party yellow inks can jell when they meet  Canon inks inside the delivery system. Perhaps on "PrinterKnowledge"?

gchappel

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 06:14:50 am »

There's some talk about how 3rd party yellow inks can jell when they meet  Canon inks inside the delivery system. Perhaps on "PrinterKnowledge"?

I have heard of that happening with the canon dye based inks- discussed for the canon pro-100
The pro-1000 uses pigment based inks.  I use 3rd party inks in a canon pro-10 which uses similar pigment inks and have heard of no similar issues with the yellow.  I only use the printer for throw-away's and test prints- still don't trust 3rd party inks for important work- but the inks work fine.
Gary

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 10:01:48 am »

but the inks work fine.
Where do you get them, Gary?

gchappel

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 10:29:24 am »

Where do you get them, Gary?
I use precision color.   I have not done any comparisons, so not sure if there are better.  These work.
Used them for years on a canon pro-100.  These pretty much matched my oem ink profiles- close enough for test work.  These prints- especially the dark blacks- did fade if left in the heat/sun of central florida for a few months.  The oem inks fade less.
I got a great deal on a canon pro-10.  I have been using precision color inks here as well.  Refill is really easy.  Color match is off a little on skin tones, but correctable.   I have not done any true testing, but fade is less.  Still fine for my testing and quick prints for the house. 
Real prints are made on a canon pro-1000 or ipf 8400 with oem inks only. 
Gary

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 12:16:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Gary. I have the 8400 too and just started using the 1000. Trying to figure out how best to match resources.

gchappel

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 02:04:06 pm »

Precision color does repackage oem inks for the pro-1000.  I have been using that- works just like it should.  I did have to bypass the chips so I have to manually monitor ink useage.  Easy to do, I just weigh each cartridge every 3-4 weeks.  Takes a few minutes.
Gary

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 05:37:29 am »

Hi again, yes it must have been the Precision Color site that warned on color problems in certain cases.

I did have to bypass the chips so I have to manually monitor ink useage.

So how did you do that? The re-packaged oem inks sound interesting for a couple of my inks, but last time I looked it was necessary to buy replacement chips.Tthat ate most of the cost saving if they were bought in Europe. Has it changed?

Pages: [1]   Go Up