Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap roll paper suggestion  (Read 577 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
cheap roll paper suggestion
« on: September 29, 2020, 01:05:55 pm »

I have become the proud owner of an Epson 7500. I shan't print on it quite as often as suggested, and from time to time I shall be away for periods rather longer than a week. I'm concerned about head clogs, so I intend to use QImage or something similar to print something from time to time. Obviously, I don't care about the quality of the paper I use and I'd like it to be inexpensive. Any suggestions for a cheap roll? It obviously doesn't have to be anything like 24" wide.

Jeremy

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: cheap roll paper suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 01:12:38 pm »

I have become the proud owner of an Epson 7500. I shan't print on it quite as often as suggested, and from time to time I shall be away for periods rather longer than a week. I'm concerned about head clogs, so I intend to use QImage or something similar to print something from time to time. Obviously, I don't care about the quality of the paper I use and I'd like it to be inexpensive. Any suggestions for a cheap roll? It obviously doesn't have to be anything like 24" wide.

Jeremy

For the same purpose I use A2 wide (42cm) rolls of plain 80gsm paper. Two rolls cost about 10 euro. I can easily find it in local stationery shops.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:17:52 pm by Panagiotis »

Lessbones

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 02:06:16 pm »

look for 20lb bond paper or even dye-sub transfer paper-- you can get a 2 pack of 500' x 17" bond paper for about $50, and i'm sure you could get less for less

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 04:41:15 am »

Thanks, both.

Jeremy

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 11:07:10 am »

I've had an Epson 9900 for ten years and several other large Epsons before it. Never set any up to run tests to keep the ink going when they aren't used for weeks at a time. I simply leave them plugged in and powered on as per the advice of my repair guru, sometimes for a month or more when I travel. This year the same for a 3880 that sat from April to August and simply powered up. I ran a cleaning cycle and a nozzle check and then ran a dozen prints through it. No problems! For the most part, it doesn't take too much effort to get it going once I return to production. I don't have my 9900 nor did I have the previous printers set-up to run a random nozzle check weekly to keep the head clean since they all seem to do just fine without it.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 02:11:28 pm »

Interesting, Larry. My old 3800 has never in 12 years had a clog from being unused (it had one following a head strike after I'd forgotten to open the outlet flap), so I was relaxed about it. But I read all the horror stories about Epson head clogs and thought I'd better take precautions. Maybe I should worry about other things.

Jeremy

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 02:23:56 pm »

Hi Jeremy, I'll probably see you later today with Schewe...

My guru told me that many of these heads were known time bombs, but not every one. The new head on my 9900 he told was a newer, improved design that's on also one newer generations of Epson printers. Like Nikon and the D600 which was replaced with the D610, Epson did the same with some of the problem print heads, fixing the problem and doing a silent release to "manage" the issue.

In any case, I was told I should be good for another five years or so and to simply do a little vacuum cleaning whenever I do canvas and it should be trouble free for many years.

In any case, I did get my money's worth from this printer in spite of the head replacement. In ten years with this second-hand printer, I had one service call for a professional cleaning four years ago and now after ten, the head replaced and another deep cleaning. I'd tell you it was a good value for what I paid for it years ago and put into servicing it.

In any case, I simply keep feeding it ink and paper, make enough to pay the bills and enjoy a few prints for myself along the way.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 02:16:58 pm »

Well, after a very helpful pointer from someone on one of the Google groups, I have discovered how to get the printer to print a nozzle check. So I can set up a Keyboard Maestro macro to run every other day, sending a two-line text file, and Robert is your mother's brother, as they say.

If anyone's interested, the file contents are

#CUPS-COMMAND
PrintSelfTestPage

and I send it using lpr

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up