Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating New monitor  (Read 824 times)

dpirazzi

Calibrating New monitor
« on: September 27, 2020, 10:01:19 pm »

I just picked up a Dell UP3017 monitor to use for lightroom and printing. It is calibrated with my xrite colormunki display device and the xrite i1studio software, the results seem to look good to my eyes.

This monitor comes with Dell's color calibration software (by xrite) that can use an i1 display pro device and write directly to the monitors LUT, (unfortunately the software does not recognize the colormunki device I have).

What real world advantage would I gain by picking up an i1 display device ($285) and using Dell's xrite software?

thx, Dave
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:10:16 pm by dpirazzi »

rasworth

Re: Calibrating New monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 11:42:14 am »

The answer is, it depends.

There are two steps to the process, calibration and profiling.  If you use the i1Profiler/Color Munki combination the calibration is contained in the 8 bit LUT of your computer video adapter.  I assume the LUT in the Dell monitor is 10 bits or more, therefore calibration would be smoother, potentially resulting in better color accuracy from the profile and probably more importantly better gray neutrality over the range from white to black.  I'm also assuming the only way you can change the Dell LUT is to use their software.

View a gray step chart, see if you can discern any color tint at different gray levels.  If you can then using the Dell software would probably help.  I own an I1 Display Pro puck, it's a good piece of equipment and well worth the price.

Richard Southworth

dpirazzi

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 02:04:04 am »

Thanks Richard!

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:48:44 pm »

The Dell software is rebranded i1Profiler. It supports the custom presets in your monitor more fully than does stock i1P. You also unlock the full set of i1Profiler options for luminance, gamma curves, etc. The main practical effect is that the monitor is less likely to lose calibration if you power it off. We stopped using the Dell version on our systems because it sometimes hooked into other software communications with an i1 puck.

As for the sensor itself, the ColorMunki was the same as the i1Display Pro. I recall that measurement speed was slowed down, but you mainly face software limitations. If you switch to using i1Profiler you can also better match multiple monitors and target video standards.

dpirazzi

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 06:57:15 pm »

Thanks Ethan and Richard,

Still undecided, but that is the info I needed to know. 

I'll probably hold off until/unless I see a problem with the profile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up