Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking at the R5 from a 5Ds users POV (TS-E lenses)  (Read 1385 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Looking at the R5 from a 5Ds users POV (TS-E lenses)
« on: September 22, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »

Canon UK recently lent me an R5 to try out with tilt/shift lenses. Only a relatively short look, so I've stuck to looking a it from the POV of a 5Ds user.

The TLDR is that it works a treat with them, image quality for my (base ISO) use is a tad better in giving a bit more room for adjustment.
I also tried it with the polarising filter adapter - works well, even giving me a usable (from my POV) polarising option for the TS-E17 albeit with all the concerns you'd always get with a polariser at such a wide angle.

What I really liked was the usability of the camera, the EVF and sensor IS - sure, a few gripes but nothing major (remember the limits of my interest ;-)  )

Even my old M645 lenses get a new lease of life with a Fotodiox t/s adapter - with added IS too...

Anyway if anyone is curious, I've written up some details at

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/looking-at-the-canon-r5-camera/

...and I've even made a video about it

https://youtu.be/mx4_8qG-5hI

BTW videos to supplement the articles are a very new thing for me. Someone at Canon finally persuaded me put aside my longstanding personal dislike of video as a medium

vrkaya

Re: Looking at the R5 from a 5Ds users POV (TS-E lenses)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 05:24:29 pm »

Nice review and very timely as I am looking at the Eos R or R5. I currently use a 5dsr (which is very good). My interest in the mirrorless models is so that I can have full auto focus with infrared or visible light. I'm told the electronic shutter makes that work perfect. I shoot IR and Visible Light wildlife and the full auto-focus would be perfect in IR mode. I can still use autofocus in LiveView with IR, but it is slow and does not work as accurately as  the native lens autofocus.

Regards,
Ron

wanderer_123

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 12:28:40 pm »

This just brilliant, such a good review!

I own a 5DSR and have been wondering how it would stack up against the new R5.

Nice to see a bit less noise in the shadows.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:22:49 pm »

Canon UK recently lent me an R5 to try out with tilt/shift lenses. Only a relatively short look, so I've stuck to looking a it from the POV of a 5Ds user.

Thanks for the review.
As a 5Ds user myself I have looked at the R5. it is not cheap for a camera that offers little improvement in image quality if that is the case.
I think the noise is an issue in a 50MP 35mm camera.
Since I bought a Hasselblad X1D I have hardly used the 5Ds. I bought it as a demo and paid less than I would for a 1Ds.
If you have the chance borrow one with an adapter for the Canon TSE lenses and try that for your architecture.
You will be blown away by the ability to lift shadows.
(Despite being a strong advocate of reading camera manuals, I have never read the 5Ds manual. It is over 500 pages long.)
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 08:00:10 pm »

Thanks for the review.
As a 5Ds user myself I have looked at the R5. it is not cheap for a camera that offers little improvement in image quality if that is the case.
I think the noise is an issue in a 50MP 35mm camera.
Since I bought a Hasselblad X1D I have hardly used the 5Ds. I bought it as a demo and paid less than I would for a 1Ds.
If you have the chance borrow one with an adapter for the Canon TSE lenses and try that for your architecture.
You will be blown away by the ability to lift shadows.
(Despite being a strong advocate of reading camera manuals, I have never read the 5Ds manual. It is over 500 pages long.)
Interesting you say that - I have had an X1D here for a review a while ago and enjoyed using it - it's one of the cameras (inc my RP and a borrowed S1R) that helped me appreciate mirrorless functionality. I even had an H6D 50C and the HTS1.5 T/S adapter for a review

All nice stuff, but (apart from my RP) they all had to go back :-(

The R5 is very nice to use, and I can see it would be excellent for many users - just for the one area I've got a 5Ds it doesn't do anything significant. That doesn't mean that a few times since I had it I haven't thought it would be nice to have - nope, a high MP version with sensor shift might tempt me...

Unfortunately, the current (complete lack of) work situation means there's simply no chance of me being able to afford an X1D and an EF->XCD adapter (with electronics rather than a dumb one). Or a likely mirrorless update to my 5Ds.
Well, not unless an awful lot of people buy my book, or my wife buys a winning lottery ticket ;-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up