Twitter shut down political speech on one side claiming it was only blocking offensive material. That's just silly. Nothing a president says is offensive. He the leader of the country and we should hear what he has to say. It was obviously a political action they took.
If I remember the original Twitter take-down, it was because he said some gibberish that could not be backed up by facts, which is not exactly the same thing.
But I have to say that your assertion that a President can't say anything offensive is spectacularly funny. Thanks for the belly laugh.
In the end Twitter reversed itself because of what you say " He the leader of the country and we should hear what he has to say," but I don't believe this applies to everyone, only newsworthy people who have a public presence of some sort, I'm guessing. And it was NOT obviously a political act, you just interpret it that way. Should the President be allowed to say that Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers? Should he be allowed to call the Bidens crooks without proof? Is that what you think "free speech" is all about?
Actually they discussed this very sequence of events in that podcast, it's all in the transcript. No, I am not going to summarize it for you. It's all there, one click away. You know what it is in there, up to you to decide to educate yourself or not.
BY playing politics they pissed off the very people who wrote this law to give them this protection. They also hurt the public because this law helps us all to maintain free speech that we cherish. The outcome may be to limit future availability of open communications like we have here.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/230
But if Twitter is not a public space (it's a private one) and private spaces can limit speech, why can't they be allowed to limit speech on their platform? If they came out and said, we will no longer allow right-wing ideas on our site, although I don't know how they could define what that means, why shouldn't they be allowed to? What do they owe you or anyone? The "other" side could always start up their own social media platforms, can't they? No one is preventing them. Do you think many socialists write stuff on 4chan?