Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony’s new full-frame baby, Nikon lenses and an Apple fizzle  (Read 845 times)

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Jonathan Cross

Re: Sony’s new full-frame baby, Nikon lenses and an Apple fizzle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 03:20:32 am »

This is an interesting article, but it does raise some old points.  I do wonder how much of the market is new entrants, how much is upgrading from kit by the same manufacturer and how much is swapping systems.   All require people to spend money, and if the change means lenses and body, it can be a considerable investment, even if the old kit can be traded in or sold. Are there lots of people out there with the spare money?

Another point is the emphasis on full frame.  Dan does mention Fuji APSC, and that some full frame are now getting down to the size and weight of APSC.  If people have the smaller sensor system, why go full frame?  OK for the same pixel count, the pixels can be bigger, so noise should be less of an issue, but in practice, these days, how much of a difference does it make?  Then there is the depth of field issue. Again, I have to ask, how critical is this? 

Upgrading from APSC to full frame will require a significant investment in body and lenses; is that investment worth it?  There is a section of the market that wants to have lots of pixels and is willing to cart tripods around as well, but portability is a consideration for others.  Even some very good photographers are becoming interested in what they can do with a smartphone, and in-phone editing software.  They seem happy with the much bigger depth of field and noise levels.

It seems to me that photographers have an ever increasing choice, ranging from phones to very expensive medium format bodies and lenses.  The market for any one type must be shrinking, even though so many more people are taking photos.  With the development cycle getting shorter, how many are going want or need a new camera and be prepared to pay?

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 09:52:45 am »

I'm not sure why Dan is writing these tomes.  You can get just as much or more from "Imaging Resource", "DPReview" and others. 

Regards,
Ron

niversen

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 07:08:52 pm »

I'm not sure why Dan is writing these tomes.  You can get just as much or more from "Imaging Resource", "DPReview" and others.

But here it is all in one article, and I don't have to visit any of those other sites and piece it together myself.  I found it a time-saving shortcut.  He writes well, and is enjoyable to read.
Pages: [1]   Go Up