Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Cloning Out Background  (Read 1128 times)

Kit-V

Need Help Cloning Out Background
« on: September 15, 2020, 12:29:18 pm »

As a long time Lightroom user, I recently started to familiarize myself with a few tools in Photoshop that either improve on or do what Lightroom cannot do. Here is my dilemma: I have a portrait of a woman in the foreground with windblown hair. Unfortunately part of the background is rather distracting. I would like to either clone out the distractions for even replace part of the background by somehow masking the woman's individual disheveled hairs. I have no clue how to do this.

I certainly do not expect anyone to give me a step-by-step lesson on how to do this. But if someone could kindly point me toward an online tutorial to get me started, I would be most appreciative. Thank you.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

mshea

Re: Need Help Cloning Out Background
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 12:50:50 pm »

There's a new Topaz Remask product out that might do the job. They probably have a trial version you could play around with.

Kit-V

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 04:11:00 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion. Truth be known, I found several tutorials on masking hair but came to the conclusion that to do an excellent job will require far more Photoshop skills than I have. I can follow the various steps to create the mask, but the skillful execution lies in being familiar with the myriad controls & tweaks within Photoshop. Gotta learn to walk before I run, so to speak.
Falling Fork Photography

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:25:01 pm »

I think these might assist you with the "myriad controls & tweaks within Photoshop" that help with selections and masks.

https://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-tutorials/Using-Select-Mask-mode/756331/783374-4.html (Tim Grey)
https://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-tutorials/Photoshop-Masking-Compositing-Hair/91589-2.html (Deke Mcclelland).

My own experience with these two contributors is positive across an array of Photoshop's abilities. Tim Grey also has a lot of material on digital asset management and file development in Lightroom.

Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 11:37:18 pm »

This might give you some ideas...

https://youtu.be/v_kitSYKr3s
John

Kit-V

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 12:50:07 am »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I decided to try the trial version of Topaz Remask that mshea suggested. It seems quite impressive for all its user simplicity. As a note, it seems like Topaz Labs has replaced Remask with Mask AI. But Remask is still available.

Again, thank you!

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

tsinsf

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 12:12:52 pm »

I consider myself an expert at Photoshop, but I never would try to make a selection of fine bits of hair...that is really a very advanced technique, not for the faint of heart.

Kit-V

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 12:34:01 pm »

I consider myself an expert at Photoshop, but I never would try to make a selection of fine bits of hair...that is really a very advanced technique, not for the faint of heart.

As a Photoshop neophyte, I appreciate you saving me from frustration. The Topaz Remask appears to be able to meet my limited needs for background replacement.
Falling Fork Photography

Benny Profane

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 12:39:17 pm »

You've found what is the most challenging issue in beauty retouching with photoshop. There are some retouchers who make a decent living doing this well. Impossible without a pen and Wacom tablet, but, then again, most high end retouching requires those tools. In the end, it actually requires drawing, or rendering hair back in to the image after siloed.

Daverich

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 04:08:09 pm »

I wonder if some of the people commenting here aren’t using the current version of Photoshop. Doing things like selecting wind blown hair are certainly easier than it used to be.

https://photoshopcafe.com/cut-anything-photoshop-3-best-ways-remove-backgrounds-photos/

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 11:10:01 pm »

Invest $29 or so in Creative Live, 30 Days of Photoshop.
You will occupy the remainder of Covid.
I am about a year into the 30 days but you can skip to lessons you want.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 02:39:40 am »

I was pretty excited when I discovered Select / Subject in CC2020
It does a pretty good job out of the box.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Kit-V

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 08:51:45 am »

Bob, I will definitely take a look.

Just an update on Topaz Remask (now updated to Topaz Mask AI): The full version of the app is available on a 30-day trial. Without a basis for comparison, I was quite impressed with the software's ability to automatically select the subject. Although it may not be perfect, the tools to tweak the selection are intuitive & simple to use. Of course using the software for the first time requires a bit of practice.

Once downloaded, Topaz Mask AI is usable either as a standalone app or as a PS plugin. However, I did run into a major glitch with the standalone. After I was finished with Mask AI & saved the image as a TIFF, I could not open the file in Lightroom, PS or Preview (for Mac users). According to the folks at Topaz, this was a seldom-heard issue that they are researching for me. However, using it as a plugin in PS seems to work fine.

So, based on a couple of responses on this thread, I will explore PS a bit more for comparison to Topaz Mask AI.
Falling Fork Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up