Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cant believe I'm away to do this  (Read 2645 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Cant believe I'm away to do this
« on: September 12, 2020, 07:36:09 pm »

Over the last 12 months I have sold all my Leica M gear, sold my Hasselblad H6D100c along with 4 lenses, Im in the process of eventually selling all my Leica S007 and lenses..................yet I am now looking at buying into the Hasselblad X1D system.....craziness.
Anyway I have a question.
Back when the first X1D came out I had a go with it at Ffords in Scotland for a couple of hours and didn't like it, I liked the look of it but the IVF was terrible, it was slow and struggled to find focus, 4 or 5 yers later I am now thinking of getting there II version, problem is I live in Phuket therefore I would need to ship it in without trying it first (without COVID I could have Easley jumped on a plane and flew down to Malaysia and try it there) so my question is this;

1/. How is the Newer X1D II
2/. How is the EVF
3/. Hows the speed of the auto focus (especially the 80mm f1.9)
4/. How is the battery life

I still have my Nikon D850 that I use for wildlife and bird photography, I just miss having a nice compact good quality camera around my neck for everyday stuff that is currently getting taken with a iPhone

Neil

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Cant believe I'm away to do this
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 04:23:05 pm »

Sorry, I am not able to answer the question on the X1DII EVF and focusing speed.

But... why not a Z7 or, according to rumors, soon to be announced Z7s? It’s cheaper (and can be found sevomd hand), will be serviceable in Pukhet, more compact, has an top class EVF, has a UI very similar to the of the D850, has very similar image quality, outstanding lenses, IBIS, an AF that’s much better for sure, can use your existing set of Nikon lenses,...

Cheers,
Bernard

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 07:35:26 pm »

Sorry, I am not able to answer the question on the X1DII EVF and focusing speed.

But... why not a Z7 or, according to rumors, soon to be announced Z7s? It’s cheaper (and can be found sevomd hand), will be serviceable in Pukhet, more compact, has an top class EVF, has a UI very similar to the of the D850, has very similar image quality, outstanding lenses, IBIS, an AF that’s much better for sure, can use your existing set of Nikon lenses,...

Cheers,
Bernard
Thanks for the feedback Bernard but sorry I find the Nikon Z to be ugly the same as the Leica SL, plus FF verses MF, no comparison...........the files are just so so much better IMOO
Neil

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 07:45:05 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Bernard but sorry I find the Nikon Z to be ugly the same as the Leica SL, plus FF verses MF, no comparison...........the files are just so so much better IMOO
Neil

Neil,

Sure, no problem. As a user of Z7, GFX-100 and H6D-100c, I don't really agree. But no issue of course. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

ShawnBK

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 08:12:26 am »

Hi, I’m surprised no one has answered your question. I use X1D & Leicas. For X1D Ouse 45mm xcd, 90mm xcd & 120mm xcd. Optics, color is natural & D.R is superb. It is a very ergonomically balanced system & feels great for this 75yr old man. To answer your questions but in confines of X1D.
(1). X1D II is cosmetically better & there r definite improvements over older model.
(2). I find EVF to big, sharp & brighter so X1D II is slightyimproved.
(3). I find speed of auto focus sis acceptable but I mainly shoot with back button focus. Much convenient, accessible & accurate.
(4). I’ve yet to run out battery life in a days shooting. But I don’t shoot  spray & pray style, usual MF shooters don’t do it.
If u want more detailed answers than try Hasselbladdegitalforum.com, plenty of help there.

ShawnBK

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 08:33:58 am »

My spelling error >> www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 06:56:15 pm »

Hi, I’m surprised no one has answered your question.
Ha, ha. If you have been here for a while then there is sort of a recurring theme that goes something like this:
Step 1. I have bought a camera costing the price of a car and don't like it.
Step2. I am selling my camera costing the price of a car and buying another camera costing the price of a car.
Step3. i am selling the camera costing the price of a car that I just bought and buying the first one again.
Step4. Repeat.

Anyway, Google is full of reviews.
I can't comment really on the merits of X1DII vs X1D other than to say I have the X1D (v1) and have used it semi professionally for two years.
EVF took a while to get used to, but now I like it. I don't find resolution important. I just use it to compose and manual focus. Exposure simulation on/off is handy once you get used to it.
If fast auto focus is your primary need then a medium format camera is probably not for you. It will always be slower than a 35mm camera simply because everything is (usually) bigger.
I shoot mainly manual focus but with AF I suggest changing the focal point size.
Battery life is probably not great. You need three batteries and the dual charger. Then no problem.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 07:18:54 pm by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

paratom

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 04:15:21 pm »

1/. How is the Newer X1D II
faster than x1d but still slow, same IQ, better viewfinder
2/. How is the EVF
I find it quite good. For me it works as good as sl2 viewfinder, better than x1d viewfinder
3/. Hows the speed of the auto focus (especially the 80mm f1.9)
for me ok, not super fast, but more important more accurate than the AF of my Leica S. Also you can move focus point around
4/. How is the battery life
IMO ok, a second or third battery is not too heavy, so for me this point is not an issue at all

I own S, SL2, M, ...
x1dii is my favorite at the moment. I would rate the S lenses and IQ slightly higher, but size and AF accurancy of x1d is better for me at the moment

I still have my Nikon D850 that I use for wildlife and bird photography, I just miss having a nice compact good quality camera around my neck for everyday stuff that is currently getting taken with a iPhone

Neil

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 07:22:09 pm »

135mm XCD lens arrived yesterday
Manakins L Bracket will arrive on Monday
X to V adapter will arrive on Wednesday
Still no bloody sign of the X1D II :( :(

Neil

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 04:47:15 am »

135mm XCD lens arrived yesterday
Manakins L Bracket will arrive on Monday
X to V adapter will arrive on Wednesday
Still no bloody sign of the X1D II :( :(

That 135mm seems really special, such a beautiful rendering from what I have seen.

Congratulations on the new system.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up