Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative inks for my new P800?  (Read 1102 times)

mshea

Alternative inks for my new P800?
« on: September 12, 2020, 01:18:38 pm »

I recently sold my beloved 10-year-old 3880 for parts and purchased a P800, plus the roll paper attachment. I used Cone Inkjet Mall inks for the entire life of the printer and was quite satisfied with the results. However, I guess I was one of the less fortunate 3880 owners in that I'd occasionally get ink clogs if I didn't regularly run a nozzle check. I've wondered if the Cone inks might have contributed in some small way to that issue.

Anyway, I'm considering going the non-Epson ink route again when these P800 cartridges run low, and I'm wondering if there are other brands worth considering. All thoughts appreciated.

Merrill

rdonson

Re: Alternative inks for my new P800?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:10:27 pm »

Merrill,

How long ago did you purchase the P800?  If you have a problem before the warranty runs out and you're using non-Epson inks it MAY void their warranty. 
Regards,
Ron

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 03:18:43 am »

If you are considering alternative inks for your Epson P600/P800 printers you cannot go far wrong by taking a look at Permajets and Fotospeeds websites.  They have both CIS (continuous ink systems) and bulk refillable cartridges.  I have had good reports from these from users that also happen to be photographic judges.  This is in the UK so I cannot speak for other locations.
In Vino Veritas

mshea

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 10:02:53 am »

Merrill,

How long ago did you purchase the P800?  If you have a problem before the warranty runs out and you're using non-Epson inks it MAY void their warranty.

Less than a month. And I also lucked out with a $300.00 rebate Epson was running for the month of August. And yep, I'm aware of the warranty situation.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 10:20:15 am »

Warranty is only an issue if the ink caused a failure.
I am refilling my 3880 with oem inks. You can buy larger carts and refill smaller ones for a huge savings.
I am ready to do the same thing with my P800 still using oem ink. I bought a new P8000 and converted it to Dye sub right from the start so I have a full set of 110ml carts of HDX I can use in the P800.
You can also pull any remaining ink from the P800 used carts and install them in your refillable carts.
Great way to still use oem at a great savings.

mshea

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 12:09:27 pm »

Warranty is only an issue if the ink caused a failure.
I am refilling my 3880 with oem inks. You can buy larger carts and refill smaller ones for a huge savings.
I am ready to do the same thing with my P800 still using oem ink. I bought a new P8000 and converted it to Dye sub right from the start so I have a full set of 110ml carts of HDX I can use in the P800.
You can also pull any remaining ink from the P800 used carts and install them in your refillable carts.
Great way to still use oem at a great savings.

An interesting idea. Can you explain the refill process in a bit more detail? I still have the Cone injection syringes. Would they work?

dgberg

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 02:50:08 pm »

You must first have the set of refill carts. Almost all the cart sets come with refill syringes. If you are refilling from bottles (Third party ink) You fill the syringe take the fill plug out of the new cart and inject the ink. If you are pulling ink out of a used cart you attach the small tip usually included in the set and pull ink out of the cart and insert it in the new refill cart. You do not have to dissemble the ink cart to get the ink out (As shown on several YouTube videos.) The P800 had a chip board (Approx $395 that was required to make the P800 accept refillable carts) Not sure if this is still necessary. Epson had blocked the use of refillable which required this board. Check for refillable P800 YouTube videos.

Just now read that their is a chipless solution for the P800. Cost is $60, a whole lot better that the chip board for $395. The new refillable carts can be filled and used until they are low and require filling before you need to spend the $60. Depending how much you print a full set of carts may last you a year or more.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 03:06:43 pm by dgberg »

dgberg

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 02:52:14 pm »

You must first have the set of refill carts. Almost all the cart sets come with refill syringes. If you are refilling from bottles (Third party ink) You fill the syringe take the fill plug out of the new cart and inject the ink. If you are pulling ink out of a used cart you attach the small tip usually included in the set and pull ink out of the cart and insert it in the new refill cart. You do not have to dissemble the ink cart to get the ink out (As shown on several YouTube videos.) The P800 had a chip board (Approx $395 that was required to make the P800 accept refillable carts) Not sure if this is still necessary. Epson had blocked the use of refillable which required this board. Check for refillable P800 YouTube videos.

Syringes will work. If you want to pull remaining ink out of Epson carts you need the little notched tip.

Benny Profane

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 10:43:56 am »

Doesn't this create havoc with profiles?

mshea

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 12:34:42 pm »

Just now read that their is a chipless solution for the P800. Cost is $60, a whole lot better that the chip board for $395. The new refillable carts can be filled and used until they are low and require filling before you need to spend the $60. Depending how much you print a full set of carts may last you a year or more.

I had misread your first post and thought you meant you were refilling the original Epson 3880 cartridges and I couldn't figure out how you'd do that! Ten years' experience with Cone inks and I've got the system down pat, but no matter how you cut it, it's still a bit of a messy process. In the long run though, it was worth it. And I made my own profiles with the Colormunkie.

As an aside, I tried printing with the Hahnehuhle Photo Gloss Baryta profile and I was a bit underwhelmed. A new profile is producing excellent results.

dgberg

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 01:42:52 pm »

Doesn't this create havoc with profiles?

How so?
I am using OEM ink to fill my carts. Just like putting an oem cart in the printer. Same ink, same profile.

Benny Profane

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 10:47:20 am »

How does one acquire Epson made ink in bulk, outside of cartridges?

mshea

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 12:35:56 pm »

As far as I know, no such animal exists. Would that you could! If you could buy original Epson ink in bulk, these off-brand companies would just be selling refillable cartridges.

dgberg

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 01:13:19 pm »

How does one acquire Epson made ink in bulk, outside of cartridges?

To clarify I am draining OEM ink from larger OEM carts.
I probably have 20 to 30 350 and 700 ml carts purchased over the last several years all from .05 to .10 per ml.
Even if you purchased new K3 OEM in 700 ml carts it is around .32 per ml or half the cost of the P800 ink which sells for around .65 per ml. (P800 is a different ink HDX I believe, it is available too.)
It is a full time job keeping all these carts full for all these printers but we have cut our ink costs by almost 75%. Tons of good usable ink out there at really low prices from broken and dying printers.

To add all of the larger carts 150, 350 and 700ml have anywhere from 15 to 30ml of ink in them when they stop printing. We draw all of that remaining ink out and use it up. Everyone else just throws them away.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:19:09 pm by dgberg »

Benny Profane

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 05:31:48 pm »

Oh, ok, I get it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up