Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Satan Bug Slouching Towards Bethlehem  (Read 1434 times)

Frans Waterlander

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1046
Re: Satan Bug Slouching Towards Bethlehem
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 05:04:43 pm »

David,

Yes, I think your image is sinister and ominous and let's agree to disagree on the issue of what the poem represents. I should have known better than to hint at religion at all.
Logged

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Satan Bug Slouching Towards Bethlehem
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 07:31:58 pm »

Frans, fair enough and actually I am quite "religion friendly" but perhaps that is a discussion best reserved for a different venue.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Satan Bug Slouching Towards Bethlehem
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 10:33:38 pm »

I think we can agree that the poem is critical of Christianity and thank goodness we can express such feelings.
I CANNOT agree! I have never read Yeats' poem as critical of Christianity. MY reading has always lined up with the way David reads it. I would like to say that "I think we can agree that it is obvious that Yeats is speaking of the anti-Christ," but you clearly won't agree. I do agree with your comment "thank goodness we can express such feelings."

-Eric
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Satan Bug Slouching Towards Bethlehem
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 08:09:18 am »

I agree with Eric. Yeats knew the power of religion, especially in his time and place. That power gave him the strength of his reference to a birth in Bethlehem. That’s all. To conclude that because he used that strength to make his point he was being critical of Christianity is a bridge too far.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up