Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographing Lenses  (Read 623 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Photographing Lenses
« on: September 12, 2020, 10:05:38 am »

I am about to (given time) photograph all my more exotic lenses. I wonder how you would approach this? Shall I focus-stack each lens so we can see as much as possible or are those photos already available and perhaps a more “dreamy” look (shallow depth of field) might be more interesting. And would you rather see the lens off the camera or on the camera, bellows, view camera, etc., where you might commonly use it.

I also probably should put them in a light tent to keep shine and glare to a minimum.

Any suggestions appreciated.

This photo is an example of what I mean by “dreamy,” as in less detailed.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Photographing Lenses
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:44:31 pm »

I am about to (given time) photograph all my more exotic lenses. I wonder how you would approach this? Shall I focus-stack each lens so we can see as much as possible or are those photos already available and perhaps a more “dreamy” look (shallow depth of field) might be more interesting. And would you rather see the lens off the camera or on the camera, bellows, view camera, etc., where you might commonly use it.

I also probably should put them in a light tent to keep shine and glare to a minimum.

Any suggestions appreciated.

This photo is an example of what I mean by “dreamy,” as in less detailed.

If that photo is "less detailed" I will be very interested to see what a "more detailed" photo would look like!

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Photographing Lenses
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:34:06 am »

Is the goal to simply document the lenses or to make "artful" images.  I think this should drive your decision, then it becomes a personal preference how you do it.

I think the attached images is excellent and to me straddles the 2.  Also plenty of detail.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up