Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibility to convert Roddy HR lens to XT mount?  (Read 850 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Possibility to convert Roddy HR lens to XT mount?
« on: September 07, 2020, 08:30:02 am »

Hi Doug and P1 experts,

Is it now possible to convert Rodenstock lenses in Arca mount to the XT electronic mount and what is the price going to be?
- 23mm
- 90mm

Thank you.

Regards,
Bernard

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Possibility to convert Roddy HR lens to XT mount?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 08:14:25 pm »

Hi Doug and P1 experts,

Is it now possible to convert Rodenstock lenses in Arca mount to the XT electronic mount and what is the price going to be?
- 23mm
- 90mm

Thank you.

Regards,
Bernard

Well Bernard, I am not Doug, and I'll leave it for anyone else as to whether they would consider me a "P1 Expert". But we're one of the largest Phase One dealers in the world, and our team has had a close working relationship with Phase One for decades. I'll break this down a few ways. Obviously, we already know that at some point lenses will be able to be converted to X Shutter and created in the Cambo WRS/Phase One XT mount, depending on their origin. We don't know when. We were hoping for later this year, but I believe that is going to be pushed out further into the future.

The timing and possibility for a lens to be outfitted to the X Shutter, and then also be able to work with an Arca Swiss (or Alpa) camera remains to be seen. The accomodation of the X Shutter will likely require a modification of the existing mounts or cameras for both those camera makers. And nothing has surfaced as yet in that regard. Arca Swiss and Alpa still have some work to do. I know that there have been discussions with Phase One. Doug may have some more details, but for now, what I know is that I expect this to happen, but as for a timetable, that remains fuzzy.

The other element is whether any of the "big 3" (Cambo/Alpa/Arca) will be able to create an electronic pass through body, or if their X Shutter implementation will be limited to cable connectivity between X Shutter and IQ4 (with updated IQ4 firmware, of course).

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 09:11:15 pm »

I've nothing to add to Steve's helpful reply.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 10:11:02 pm »

Thanks a lot Steve, much appreciated!

I would personally only consider a shutter/mount change in the context of a move to the XT platform, so the possibility to use X shutter lenses on an Arca is not really a priority for me.

But there is just no way I would buy again 10,000+ US$ lenses from scratch in X shutter/XT mount although I already have the glass in Arca mount with a mechanical shutter. Those are just very hard to sell second hand without a major financial loss.

I would think that many potential XT buyers are existing tech camera users, a majority of them owning Rodenstock HR glass, so it would appear to me that enabling this should be a high priority for P1.

Anyway, I appreciate the clear answer.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:16:19 pm by BernardLanguillier »

MN

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 08:09:18 am »

... or if their X Shutter implementation will be limited to cable connectivity between X Shutter and IQ4 (with updated IQ4 firmware, of course).

Steve Hendrix/CI

A cable solution would allow use of the X shutter with other technical cameras, like for example, Linhof.  Right now, have also to use a cable for and triggering and synchronizing Copal shutter and DB. 

Electronic shutter is obviously the future; as closer we get to a global shutter, the more the interest in the X shutter will wane.

Yet, being able to select the aperture directly at the DB (and DB knowing the aperture for any computational wizardry) is an advantage of the X shutter over the Copal shutter or Rodenstock's aperture stop.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:20:47 am by MN »

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 01:36:18 pm »

Thanks a lot Steve, much appreciated!

I would personally only consider a shutter/mount change in the context of a move to the XT platform, so the possibility to use X shutter lenses on an Arca is not really a priority for me.

But there is just no way I would buy again 10,000+ US$ lenses from scratch in X shutter/XT mount although I already have the glass in Arca mount with a mechanical shutter. Those are just very hard to sell second hand without a major financial loss.

I would think that many potential XT buyers are existing tech camera users, a majority of them owning Rodenstock HR glass, so it would appear to me that enabling this should be a high priority for P1.

Anyway, I appreciate the clear answer.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

This is somewhat helpful in your favor, as it removes the reliance on a tech camera manufacturer to develop and implement a new mount or camera. On the other hand, it remains to be seen what the cost will be for outfitting a lens into an X Shutter/XT Mount. I expect a price that would not be described as modest.

For now, Phase One has themed the XT as targeting "new users" to the tech camera segment, rather than existing users. This is acknowledged by the absence of expansive movements, and tilt, which existing tech cameras provide. And given that Phase One is not a tech camera manufacturer, but rather an OEM partner, it behooves them to not create a scenario where supportive industry partners like Cambo/Alpa/Arca-Swiss are not a part of this equation.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 01:38:48 pm »

A cable solution would allow use of the X shutter with other technical cameras, like for example, Linhof.  Right now, have also to use a cable for and triggering and synchronizing Copal shutter and DB. 

Electronic shutter is obviously the future; as closer we get to a global shutter, the more the interest in the X shutter will wane.

Yet, being able to select the aperture directly at the DB (and DB knowing the aperture for any computational wizardry) is an advantage of the X shutter over the Copal shutter or Rodenstock's aperture stop.

Yes, but the repsonsibility will be for the host camera manufacturer, in this case, Linhof, to create an accomodating method for attaching the lens with X Shutter to their camera. Some manufacturers may approach this task more eagerly than others.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MN

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 07:29:06 am »

Yes, but the repsonsibility will be for the host camera manufacturer, in this case, Linhof, to create an accomodating method for attaching the lens with X Shutter to their camera....
Steve Hendrix/CI

Basically, needs to be attached to a Linhof lens board.

Don't know the design of the X shutter to say whether this would be easy or difficult.

Pages: [1]   Go Up