Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone using the new Epson P900 printer?  (Read 4716 times)

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Has anyone using the new Epson P900 printer?
« on: September 07, 2020, 05:57:18 am »

I placed my pre-order for the new Epson P900 as soon a B&H Photo started accepting orders in April. The printer is still on backorder.

I was wondering if anyone has one yet and can comment on their experiences and image quality?

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

KeithR

Re: Has anyone using the new Epson P900 printer?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 06:18:48 pm »

Kevin Raber received a P700 in July and today published a review on his website which includes a link to a YouTube video as well. Although not the 900 you are looking to get information,  and who isn't, I don't see any difference in how it would perform. He mentioned a forth coming review from Mark Segal(?) on both printers. Over on DPREVIEW one person mentioned that he was satisfied with the 900 he had. However he is located un the UK.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

canyonlight2

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 11:38:50 pm »

Bud I had one on back order with B&H and cancelled. It seems like the P900 for the USA has just disappeared.

Stan

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:12:50 pm »

It has yet to arrive in the USA. I also have a pre order at B&H and since they're not holding money, I will leave my pre order on file. Mark Segal was informed that his 900 should be in the warehouse later in the month so that gives me hope that we'll see shipping in October.

greyscale

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 03:44:24 pm »

Epson web site now hat the  "SUPPORT" link up for the P900. Drivers now available ;D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 08:05:03 pm »

Planned release date in Tokyo has been moved from 9/30 to 9/17.

I am 99% sure this date is now final.

Cheers,
Bernard

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 07:20:12 am »

So some drivers available, P900 possibly available on 17th September but are the ink cartridges and maintenance cartridges available yet?
In Vino Veritas

budjames

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 07:26:47 am »

I ordered my P900 and and an extra set of ink cartridges in April. About 4 weeks ago, I received the ink cartridges order. I reached out to B&H Photo for an expected ship date for the P900 and was told that they have no idea when they will receive them to fill orders.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 10:22:44 am »

So some drivers available, P900 possibly available on 17th September but are the ink cartridges and maintenance cartridges available yet?

To answer your question regarding the P900 supplies; yes, the inks and maintenance tank are available.  They are a little limited on quantity though.
Ink is an easier thing to manufacturer than the hardware since it requires parts made from different sources to building the unit (like the large models).  Since the pandemic has limited workers at the manufacturing locations, it majorly slowed down production; hence why many models were out of stock for months on end.  Epson even notified certain resellers that the P6000 has been delayed and should available again by early 2021 (just as a reference of the production delays).

Our sources from Epson is that the P900 "should" be available within a week or 2.  We will be checking back on this update to confirm next week, but hoping it's accurate now.

IT Supplies

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 12:11:59 pm »

I am particularly interested in the availability of the ink cartridges as I believe a second set is needed pretty soon after initialization and priming the printer and making some prints.   I believe this issue is more urgent with the P700 than the P900 due to smaller ink cartridge volumes but a shortage might be catastrophic in that the printer might sit idle and block up?

Thanks to those that have responded with information.
In Vino Veritas

budjames

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 08:21:56 am »

I just got a notice from B&H Photo that my Epson P900 shipped yesterday. I should have it by tomorrow. I placed my order back in early April.

Regards,
Bud James

Bud James

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 10:18:36 am »

Thanks Bud,
                    I'm sure a few of us will await any information/impressions you get.  Glad to hear the supplies of P900s are flowing.

cheers
Ian
In Vino Veritas

pschefz

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 11:32:06 am »

Got mine last week, a second set of inks is highly recommended, my grey carts are almost out just after initial set up and running several prints and profiles....
The Media Installer and Layout app is a great step in the right direction, the way i understand is that the printer actually stores media settings and profiles (the media installer does as well) so once one has set up a few different papers and profiles, printing is much more straightforward across applications and platforms....
I have been trying the Epson Print layout app on the iPad as well, pretty much the same as on desktop, but for now i cant get my custom profiles to show up...desktop is v1.5.?, iOS is 1.3 (as of yesterday) so a little behind at this point.....
The printer is nice and compact, looks well made, the screen is the first one i have ever seen that actually seems useable, the inside light is a nice touch, so far no print issues, no pizza wheels, no ink smudges, no extra ink on side of paper.....matte/glossy switch is great, i went through a few sample packs and it is great to not even have to think about it....
There are other software related things i haven’t looked into that should come in handy, detailed info on print runs and such....
schefz.com
artloch.com

stevegoldenberg

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 01:16:35 pm »

I just got mine delivered from B&H yesterday. I'm still knee-deep in test prints trying to figure out how the new print quality changes look (like Carbon black etc). It's quite a different set of options from the P800, so there is a lot to learn.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you have any...

KeithR

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 02:59:26 pm »

Can I ask when you placed your order with B&H? I placed an order for the 900 last May and haven't heard a word other than it's on back order.

stevegoldenberg

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 07:37:10 am »

Yep, I ordered it April 28 from B&H. I didn't get any notice before it shipped; I just got the email saying that it had shipped on Tuesday.

KeithR

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 11:20:53 am »

I placed an order with B&H in May for the P900. I tried to call yesterday to ask about the status.  I followed the voice prompts and input my order number. After which it again asked for my order number, which I typed in again. And again, and again. I hung up and redialed hoping to speak to a human and was informed that the wait time was 64 minutes! This morning I received a text from Epson that the P900 was in stock. When I clicked on the link, it was listed as "out of stock".
Epson, this is getting utterly ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 05:29:44 pm by KeithR »

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 11:59:14 pm »

The reason why certain places (like IT Supplies) may not show stock as "in stock" is because the distributors that get inventory have the units on hold (allocated) so others can't see it upfront and our system is linked to their inventory.

We've had a handful of units that shipped since early October and didn't know they came in until we started getting invoices that they shipped from the warehouse.

There were 2 customers that provided feedback after using it for a few days and said that it was a well built, innovated machine and did a great job on it.  One mentioned that the settings Epson has on the driver end are defaulted for the highest quality, Black Coat Overlay (uses a lot of Lt Blk upfront) and another setting, but they think Epson should take those off as a selected default so those users don't get confused why glossy paper use a lot more Lt Blk than expected.

We are hoping to get some reviews when they test it out more for others to get a sense of how it functions.
At the moment, we are confirming if there are a few units left, but are still getting orders that "may" be on hold for the next round.

IT Supplies

KeithR

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 04:10:49 pm »

Friday, I received notice from B&H that the P900 that I ordered at the end of May had finally shipped. When I placed my order, since no one knew when the 900 would ship (and I needed a printer to replace a 4800) I also ordered a P800 since it had a rebate offer. Since I had read that the carts were not completely full, I ordered a 2nd set of OEM ink carts for the P800. I should mention that the 800 was purchased with the intention of being used with Jon Cone's Piezography ink set and since the 900 is on the way (and a 2nd set of inks for it had arrived last August) I no longer have a need for the extra set of inks for the 800. So if anyone would like a set of P800 inks,( purchased June 2020 from B&H, expiration of 2022) just let send me a PM. This is only the one set. I will be cross posting this on the for sale forum.

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 10:46:51 am »

Keith Coopers reviews of the Epson P900 have started to appear on his website at Northlight-images.co.uk (see Epson P900 reviews ).  Check them out.
In Vino Veritas
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up