Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Spectraview & Various Displays  (Read 771 times)

Garnick

NEC Spectraview & Various Displays
« on: September 06, 2020, 12:32:41 pm »

Just curious if anyone is using the NEC Spectraview app for calibrating a display other than an NEC.  Since I have worked with NEC displays for the past 10-12 years I've never had any reason to try Spectraview on a display from another manufacturer.  I ask only because my 27" NEC has bit the bullet and due to the price I've been looking at other possibilities.

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: NEC Spectraview & Various Displays
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 01:39:48 pm »

SpectraView will only run (calibrate) an NEC SpectraView supported.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 06:39:04 pm »

SpectraView will only run (calibrate) an NEC SpectraView supported.

I was sure of that Andrew, but in a recent post in the "Digital Image Processing" forum it was insinuated that Spectraview would work on displays other than NEC's.  Thanks for verifying.
Gary N.

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 07:15:55 pm »

I use Spectraview and the Spectraview puck to calibrate my NEC PA series monitors.

But I have used my i1Pro to calibrate my lower end Acer monitors, and it works very well.

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 10:47:56 am »

I use Spectraview and the Spectraview puck to calibrate my NEC PA series monitors.

But I have used my i1Pro to calibrate my lower end Acer monitors, and it works very well.

I think you may have misinterpreted my initial post.  Either that or I've done the same with your reply.  I also use the i1Display Pro with Spectraview to calibrate my NEC.  My initial post was aimed at the Spectraview app itself, not the hardware(puck).  You have written that you have used the i1Pro to calibrate Acer displays, but did you also use the Spectraview software?  I have verified that Spectraview can be used only on the NEC displays, as I had assumed.   

Gary N.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:40:53 am »

To clarify for all:
1. SpectraView software will only drive a SpectraView display.
2. Some NEC branded instruments while identical to X-rite's non NEC branded instruments will only work with SpectraView software.
3. An X-rite branded instrument supported in SpectraView can be used with other software products, of course they ship with X-rite's software.
4. If you have a SpectraView, you absolutely want to be using SpectraView software to calibrate and profile it (even if you have an instrument and software that can be used on other displays).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 06:38:03 pm »

I think you may have misinterpreted my initial post.  Either that or I've done the same with your reply.  I also use the i1Display Pro with Spectraview to calibrate my NEC.  My initial post was aimed at the Spectraview app itself, not the hardware(puck).  You have written that you have used the i1Pro to calibrate Acer displays, but did you also use the Spectraview software?  I have verified that Spectraview can be used only on the NEC displays, as I had assumed.   

Sorry. I use i1 Profiler to calibrate the Acer displays, not Spectraview software, and it does a great job.

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 03:13:01 pm »

Thank you for verifying that Roscolo.  Much appreciated!
Gary N.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 04:01:28 pm »

I've had an NEC PA271A for years and have calibrated it with the Spectaview puck (looks like an i1Display Pro but it is labeled NEC) and Spectraview II software. I just got a 2020 iMac to replace my 2013 Mac Pro (trashcan) but plan to use the NEC monitor for my LR and PS work until it dies (not sure how to tell when that might be). However, I thought it might be interesting to try to calibrate the iMac monitor so I downloaded Displaycal and it seemed to run with the Spectraview puck. The screens appear to be a bit different, the iMac looks a bit more blue, the NEC a bit more yellow but I am inexperienced with Displaycal so will play with it some more. The good news is that I've got the time, the bad news is that I have the time because of the accursed pandemic.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 11:56:25 am »

4. If you have a SpectraView, you absolutely want to be using SpectraView software to calibrate and profile it (even if you have an instrument and software that can be used on other displays).
I would suggest one exception to this. I’ve been using the basICColor Display software to calibrate both spectraview and non-spectraview displays with the included spectraview colorimeter. It programs the display LUTs and I prefer to stick to a single software program when using multiple displays for consistency.
Pages: [1]   Go Up